UC2019 (Nº7) Annual Deck by Montenzi: Fulfillment in Progress

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

UC2019 (Nº7) Annual Deck by Montenzi: Fulfillment in Progress

Unread post by montenzi »

:ucstar: It's official - this deck will be released in September 2019 as UC2019! :ucstar:

Name: No.7
Printer: Cartamundi (with foil on the cards)
Stock: Slimline B9

p.s. this post will be updated with the progress.

:ucstar: INSPIRATION: :ucstar: 100 years old Linoleum catalog found searching museum archives (this image is a public domain):
UC_58.jpg
UC_58.jpg (245.21 KiB) Viewed 25411 times
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Re: Lino project / Montenzi

Unread post by rousselle »

Oh. My. Goodness.

Give this the same treatment that you gave NEO: Ultra, as your render indicates, and this will absolutely pop.

I am *all over this.*

Allow me to say, also, that as much as I very much enjoy the direction that GLIDE has been taking and as much as I want that in my collection, I'm very happy to see this departure from the styles you've shown us with your previous efforts. This is very classic, and classy, indeed. I like what you're doing with the colors and patterns. This will be a must-have.

(As will GLIDE, when you return to it. :))

As for name suggestions, might I suggest something along the lines of "Mosaic" or "Tapestry?" A little on the nose, I suppose, but just to get the ball rolling....
This space intentionally left blank.
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

I was all prepared and willing for Glide but this is ... I can't miss this.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Alex- I've been using NEO Wave Ultra for games since it arrived. Earlier, it was always Bharata deck but this deck is simply awesome. Cartamundi has simply nailed it here, and I don't think others like USPCC or EPCC etc. stand a chance against their combo of cold foil and finish.

I can see LINO project is a sure hit because you've already proved the front n back foil concept with NEO Wave Ultra.

One add-on that you can consider for this new deck is inner tuck printing or foil on a matte thick card stock for the tuckbox. And, if you want to go for something spectacular then maybe gold gilded edges for an ultra limited version of the deck. It will tick all the boxes and collectors will be swooning all over the project on Kickstarter for sure.

PS: I like the white border as compared to the golden one as well. Golden borders make me remember those cheap Chinese gold plated decks.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Guru, 100% agree! Also don't like golden borders. Will remove this image later :D

Not a big fan of gilded edges.

The color scheme is not final. I''ll revisit the back at the end.

Weathered/textured backgrounds with a different tone are also possible:
UC_72.jpg
UC_72.jpg (651.79 KiB) Viewed 27423 times
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

guru wrote:One add-on that you can consider for this new deck is inner tuck printing or foil on a matte thick card stock for the tuckbox.

PS: I like the white border as compared to the golden one as well. Golden borders make me remember those cheap Chinese gold plated decks.
I completely agree with guru here, a premium tuck is a must for the this deck. I'm glad you're staying away from having a gold border. I quite like the current color scheme just fine, but I wonder if a darker blue background color would be more beneficial. Cold pressed foil lacks the "shine" that regular hot-stamped foiling has, so I think you'll have more contrast with a darker background to help the cold pressed foil pop a little more.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

sinjin7 wrote: I completely agree with guru here, a premium tuck is a must for the this deck. I'm glad you're staying away from having a gold border. I quite like the current color scheme just fine, but I wonder if a darker blue background color would be more beneficial. Cold pressed foil lacks the "shine" that regular hot-stamped foiling has, so I think you'll have more contrast with a darker background to help the cold pressed foil pop a little more.
Yes the tuck must be premium. And there is no blue color on the back. It's green..almost :mrgreen:

Cold foil is an uncharted territory so I can only imagine how to make it better. Will think about it later.
portcullis

Quietly smiling to myself cos it reminds me of the carpet in my grandparents' house.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

The design is a little too antique for me at first observation (my great-grandmother's rug design is not a good thing in my mind). However, the cold foil effect will really take it to a new level that I will want to have anyway. The green background color seems a bit dark again at first look. Then again, the new Hudson deck back seems too washed out. Maybe I need my eyes checked. I do agree with you and others that white borders would do best for this deck. It definitely has a retro-holidays vibe for me, and white would look best. I am fine with gold borders. I am really looking forward to Lorenzo's Cartomancer deck that uses gold borders, and which fits his design perfectly. That said, you could go for a white/silver border to let that cold foil do it's thing.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

I personally am LOVING the deep teal and velvety red color combo! The backs are really vintage-cool looking and, to me (I hope not to offend by saying this lol), feel kinda reminiscent of retro carpeting that one might find in a sophisticated, mid-century modern hotel with a hint of old hollywood glam (lol); most definitely a huge departure from the signature style we've all come to know you by but one that's really quite exciting and I can't help but to eagerly look forward to seeing more - keep up the great work and, as always, please keep us updated on the progress you make :D
JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

Love this back design and based on what I am seeing I will be all over this. That said I am curious about the courts as I think the style that you are known for in your previous decks doesn’t really match with this back design. I am eager to see what you come up with.

P.S please no fake ageing/weathering that has ruined many “modern vintage” decks for me.
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Conturbia »

Awesome new project, I'm looking forward to it! Also... I can haz the superfoiled NEO:WAVE? :D sadly, I missed that.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks for the comments! Yes the style/design/colors is different from what you've seen before. That's why I want to produce a classic deck first instead if GLIDE. Decks in one style are too boring even for me :mrgreen: I am not a serial designer at all. :mrgreen:

All my next 3 decks will be different. Glide should be 3rd. Or maybe 2nd.

@Conturbia you'll have a chance! ;)

@JuFiN the back will be revisited at the end. 50/50 about ageing

@PipChick Love teal... It was my dream to design a deck in this color. Planned Waves in green...but..they are blue :mrgreen:

@Bradius images are just 3D so it is hard to setup the scene and all lighting. The scene was dark so colors look darker. But the final tone is subject to change. Just a little. They be teal for sure.

@portcullis LOL
KT52

Unread post by KT52 »

Bradius wrote:The design is a little too antique for me at first observation (my great-grandmother's rug design is not a good thing in my mind). However, the cold foil effect will really take it to a new level that I will want to have anyway. The green background color seems a bit dark again at first look. Then again, the new Hudson deck back seems too washed out. Maybe I need my eyes checked. I do agree with you and others that white borders would do best for this deck. It definitely has a retro-holidays vibe for me, and white would look best. I am fine with gold borders. I am really looking forward to Lorenzo's Cartomancer deck that uses gold borders, and which fits his design perfectly. That said, you could go for a white/silver border to let that cold foil do it's thing.
Weve come full circle Bradius, your great grandmothers fasionable rug is back in season!
Conturbia
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Conturbia »

montenzi wrote: @Conturbia you'll have a chance! ;)
can't wait! TBH I was able to see your decks in the Cartamundy factory, some time ago ;-)
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Holy f^&*, Montenzi, these are amazing.

I can see that foiled back design being a serious contender for the UC DOTY votes.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

I recall these god-awful linoleum flooring from my grandmother's house and every time I come across one, it makes me shudder. That said, judging by the backs and if executed to the Neo standard, these cards have all the potential of being great. I really look forward to seeing the courts...
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Ookey :mrgreen: Don't like to post sketches :mrgreen: as my drawing skils ... are awful LOL :mrgreen:

I draw like a kid :lol:

[img removed]
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

montenzi wrote:Ookey :mrgreen: Don't like to post sketches :mrgreen: as my drawing skils ... are awful LOL :mrgreen:

In style? Not in style?
UC_90.jpg
Love it! If all courts would be like that, I am definitely in.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: Lino project / Montenzi (wap)

Unread post by Bradius »

You are off to a good start.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Lino project / Montenzi (wap)

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Bradius wrote:You are off to a good start.
Agreed. Conceptually, that court looks great for this deck :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
portcullis

montenzi wrote:Ookey :mrgreen: Don't like to post sketches :mrgreen: as my drawing skils ... are awful LOL :mrgreen:

In style? Not in style?
UC_91.jpg
I'd buy a couple of those.
ReinieRA
White Whale: Signed 1st edition by CR
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by ReinieRA »

I love the design! Great work! If it releases, I would definetly go for a deck or 3!
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

In style? Not in style?
HUGE Thank you for posting! For me, I'm always fascinated by the creative process that goes into developing what will eventually become the final work. Even just this one preliminary sketch gives us a small insight into the consilience of your vision for this deck, your artistic intuition in developing a cohesive aesthetic/style to that of the back design, and the technique you use at this stage to execute it all before editing & refining your craft - super interesting! please share more as you go :D

As once said by the wise and worldly Hotline Bling King himself, Drake, "Sometimes it's the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination" :lol:

But seriously, this is going in a really exciting direction and I can't wait to see where the process takes you :)
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

I like the way you capture a very three-dimensional look with this sketch. The traditional courts favored by USPCC (and other traditional courts favored by Arrco and Hoyle and Gemaco, etc.) all have a court or two who appear to have their heads turned a little bit, but still look absolutely flat. Your management of line thickness suggests depth, which gives the face more expression. I like the direction you're taking here *a lot*.
This space intentionally left blank.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

rousselle wrote:I like the way you capture a very three-dimensional look with this sketch. The traditional courts favored by USPCC (and other traditional courts favored by Arrco and Hoyle and Gemaco, etc.) all have a court or two who appear to have their heads turned a little bit, but still look absolutely flat. Your management of line thickness suggests depth, which gives the face more expression. I like the direction you're taking here *a lot*.
This ^^^

Not a fan of your swirly curvy bodies. Like this standard body/your head style look.
Move on, nothing to see here.
alric

Unread post by alric »

Love how the courts are turning out. The one thing I would point out is that the king's sword should be longer, it seems to be a bit inadequate to be a sword. As is, the king is going to have to go out an buy a flashy new sports car (you know, to compensate....).
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks! I'll post finished Spades soon. Had more than 10 sketches before in order to find the style. Found that a bigger head is better for this deck (just hair/hat/beards geometry not just a face). Standart courts proportions are not even close to what I am planing to achieve here.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Awesome back! I also like the sketch of that court card!
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Casual Pixels
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Casual Pixels »

Beautiful; this is right in my wheelhouse.

I love the backs, and I love the take on the courts. Hits that magic "traditional but different".