Comics and Superhero movies

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
theCapraAegagrus

Re: Comics and Superhero movies

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Eric Lee wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:29 pm I suppose DCEU not having a Kevin Feige or anyone who is strong/successful enough to minimize studio interference is the main problem for DCEU.
Yup! With the exception of The Avengers, all of Marvel's movies in Phase 1 were financial flops. Man of Steel and BvS were both very profitable for WB, but they are also films #1 and #2 in the cinematic universe. On one end, Kevin Feige stuck to his plan and it paid off tremendously. On the other end, WB freaked out because BvS didn't take in $1 billion and decided to course-correct after just 2 movies.

Just like with any normal everyday job, poor leadership can ruin a group.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

The Batman is average/mediocre.

My rating: I would not buy the DVD, but I would be interested in watching it on cable television.

:ucstar: :ucstar: :ucstar: :halfstar: :nostar:
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

theCapraAegagrus wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:56 am The Batman is average/mediocre.
Reads like DC is doing the DC thing aka suck at doing great movies.

On another note, I watched Eternals (the movie) lately. Quite fun.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

On the other hand, DC has always done well in their animated movies, and I just read that Keanu Reeves will voice the Bat in the next installment.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
theCapraAegagrus

Harvonsgard wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:05 pm
theCapraAegagrus wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:56 am The Batman is average/mediocre.
Reads like DC is doing the DC thing aka suck at doing great movies.

On another note, I watched Eternals (the movie) lately. Quite fun.
DC has had plenty of great movies over the past couple of decades.

The Batman is better than The Eternals, that's for sure.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

Despite the Nolan-Batman-triology what do they have to offer? Not that I'm a big comic film guy anyways but those I remember from Marvel are fun/alright and DC disappointing. Maybe I'm just still suffering from my Suicide Squad trauma though.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:38 am Despite the Nolan-Batman-triology what do they have to offer? Not that I'm a big comic film guy anyways but those I remember from Marvel are fun/alright and DC disappointing. Maybe I'm just still suffering from my Suicide Squad trauma though.
I assume you're talking about the first one. THE Suicide Squad (2021, James Gunn) was a lot better. And the Peacemaker series is a good follow-up if you enjoyed the movie.
- Tom

Check out my collection

theCapraAegagrus

Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:38 am Despite the Nolan-Batman-triology what do they have to offer? Not that I'm a big comic film guy anyways but those I remember from Marvel are fun/alright and DC disappointing. Maybe I'm just still suffering from my Suicide Squad trauma though.
Most people would agree that 2016's Suicide Squad is disappointing. It was one in a too-long line of films that suffered from WB's creative interference. To answer your question, though:

Watchmen: Director's Cut
Man of Steel
BvS: Ultimate Edition
Wonder Woman
Zack Snyder's Justice League
Aquaman
Shazam!

Also, while I'm not big on 2021's The Suicide Squad, I think that it's worth a watch.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

I watched the 2021 as well... not convinced. It's better than the first agreed, but that is like saying loosing an arm and a leg is better than loosing your life aka while true still no pleasure.
Agreed on Watchman, it's dope.

theCapraAegagrus

Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:51 pm I watched the 2021 as well... not convinced. It's better than the first agreed, but that is like saying loosing an arm and a leg is better than loosing your life aka while true still no pleasure.
Agreed on Watchman, it's dope.
I was expecting it to be way, way funnier. Like I said, not a big fan of it myself. James Gunn is very hit and miss for me.

Did you watch the series? I have not, yet. It's a sequel to the graphic novel rather than the movie. I have heard great things about it.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

I don't really like watching series therefore, no.

theCapraAegagrus

Harvonsgard wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:13 am I don't really like watching series therefore, no.
I think that it's only 8 episodes long. I'll get to it, eventually.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

Oh okay. Mini series (like a couple up to 24 episodes) are cool. I just don't like if series get out of hand like walking dead and alike.

Sir Toddalot
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Unread post by Sir Toddalot »

I just finished watching the Peacemaker show, and I gotta say I really enjoyed it! Definitely feel like its one of the better things DC has done film/tv wise.
“An open mind is like to an open wound, vulnerable to poison. Liable to fester. Apt to give its owner only pain.”

-Sand Dan Glokta, The First Law
theCapraAegagrus

I might get to Peacemaker someday. I just don't care for the character or John Cena.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Sir Toddalot

theCapraAegagrus wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:41 am I might get to Peacemaker someday. I just don't care for the character or John Cena.
I wasn’t really expecting to like it. I’m not a huge fan of Cena myself, and I hadn’t liked Peacemaker in Suicide Squad. But it suprised me.
“An open mind is like to an open wound, vulnerable to poison. Liable to fester. Apt to give its owner only pain.”

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sir Toddalot wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:37 am
theCapraAegagrus wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:41 am I might get to Peacemaker someday. I just don't care for the character or John Cena.
I wasn’t really expecting to like it. I’m not a huge fan of Cena myself, and I hadn’t liked Peacemaker in Suicide Squad. But it suprised me.
Same here. The supporting cast is pretty good.

Saw The Batman last night. It did some things well, and other things not so well. Overall, a solid 4/6 for me. A bit long, though.
- Tom

Check out my collection

Sir Toddalot

Haven’t seen the Batman yet, I need to soon. I’m cautiously optimistic about it, I’ve heard good things. Even though I normally don’t like reboots.

theCapraAegagrus

MagikFingerz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:32 pm Same here. The supporting cast is pretty good.

Saw The Batman last night. It did some things well, and other things not so well. Overall, a solid 4/6 for me. A bit long, though.
What an odd scoring system. Fair, though.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

theCapraAegagrus wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:50 am
MagikFingerz wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:32 pm Same here. The supporting cast is pretty good.

What an odd scoring system. Fair, though.
Dice.
- Tom

Check out my collection

theCapraAegagrus

I re-read Watchmen this weekend, and I suppose I never realized quite how much of the source material is actually in the movie. For all intents and purposes, they're more than 90% the same.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
EvilDuncan
White Whale: Heretic Gran Riserva S + Sb
Decks Owned: 1100

Unread post by EvilDuncan »

theCapraAegagrus wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:14 pm I re-read Watchmen this weekend, and I suppose I never realized quite how much of the source material is actually in the movie. For all intents and purposes, they're more than 90% the same.
Yeah I've heard people complain that Zack Snyder isn't a good director partially because Watchmen is basically a shot-for-shot recreation of the graphic novel.
I've spent way more than I care to admit on playing cards, but I'll still buy just about anything that Lorenzo, Jackson, or Gio make.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

EvilDuncan wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:35 am
theCapraAegagrus wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:14 pm I re-read Watchmen this weekend, and I suppose I never realized quite how much of the source material is actually in the movie. For all intents and purposes, they're more than 90% the same.
Yeah I've heard people complain that Zack Snyder isn't a good director partially because Watchmen is basically a shot-for-shot recreation of the graphic novel.
While, yes, Snyder does manage to capture a lot of iconic shots from the comics in his movies (including several he lifted from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns in Batman v. Superman), I think this is an unfair criticism. Watchmen the movie has several important distinctions from the comic book, including the fact that, while the comic book deconstructs comic books, the movie deconstructs comic book movies (something a lot of die-hard fans of the comic book didn't quite wrap their head around, and screamed that Snyder didn't "get" the original material -- he understood it better than they did, I think, and his choices made the point pretty clearly.)

Further, Snyder's Sucker Punch makes it clear that he's quite adept at creating his own, original iconic, comic-book-style shots without having to borrow them from someone else's work.

YMMV, of course. :)
This space intentionally left blank.
theCapraAegagrus

EvilDuncan wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:35 am
TBH I have never heard/read that before, rather as Allan mentioned, people claim that he somehow "doesn't get" Watchmen because the ending was changed. I've always scratched my head at that criticism, because it's clear to me that he's a comic book nerd who knows his stuff, yet random nobodies on the internet dare to challenge that.

On an alternate-but-related subject: On Saturday, I re-watched ZSJL in full for the first time in about a year. What an epic experience. In my head I was detecting all of the stuff that I would shorten/remove for an actual director's cut of the movie.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Finally got to watch The Batman yesterday. I think they took the dark in Dark Knight detective way too literally! A little more lighting on the set would have been easier to spot just what was happening.

I like that they avoided a total reboot but set it at the start of Batman's career. Very focused on the detective part. He's not the ultimate problem solver and answer for everything right away super hero. He needed help from the people around him. The Riddler was different from what we've seen in most of the comic books. Nice and scary. The whole movie has a different vibe from the usual batman or even DC movies. Less superhero , more human. I'm not sure if this is the right way to say it, but everything seems more grounded in our world? Like something we can see happen in a city; more so than the other batman movies. (take a look at how he pictured the Joker visually in the deleted scene. Like what a person would look like if he actually fell into a vat of chemicals)

A tad too long for my liking, but overall Matt Reeves has done a good job taking Batman to a different direction than what we've seen from Burton and Nolan. 4/5 for me
theCapraAegagrus

Eric Lee wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:56 am Finally got to watch The Batman yesterday. I think they took the dark in Dark Knight detective way too literally! A little more lighting on the set would have been easier to spot just what was happening.

I like that they avoided a total reboot but set it at the start of Batman's career. Very focused on the detective part. He's not the ultimate problem solver and answer for everything right away super hero. He needed help from the people around him. The Riddler was different from what we've seen in most of the comic books. Nice and scary. The whole movie has a different vibe from the usual batman or even DC movies. Less superhero , more human. I'm not sure if this is the right way to say it, but everything seems more grounded in our world? Like something we can see happen in a city; more so than the other batman movies. (take a look at how he pictured the Joker visually in the deleted scene. Like what a person would look like if he actually fell into a vat of chemicals)

A tad too long for my liking, but overall Matt Reeves has done a good job taking Batman to a different direction than what we've seen from Burton and Nolan. 4/5 for me
Any opinion on the complete lack of Bruce Wayne in Batman's Year Two?
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Eric Lee

Eh, it was as the Riddler said, the Batman was his true self. Also the whole recluse part was played out throughout the movie; like Alfred having to bring the accountants to the manor; people all surprised to see Bruce at the memorial service, kinda explains why you don't see much of Bruce Wayne.

But the way the movie was setup about him making an impact and about legacy surrounding the renewal fund; we may see more of Bruce Wayne rising up the way he did in the comics earlier. Where Wayne uses his $ and business to impact Gotham positively. So we'll see how the Bruce Wayne arc goes as I believe Reeves is setting it up that way.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

One aspect of the Bruce Wayne character is the millionaire/billionaire playboy image. Michael Keaton played up the "I'm so rich, I don't even know how dining rooms work" obliviousness with perfection. He was high profile, romantically, but a serial monogamist, even so.

Christian Bale nailed the idea of the playboy persona-as-front, and he played *that* with perfection. He had his one twoo wuv, but surrounded himself with anonymous eye candy to bolster his playboy image.

Ben Affleck perfectly played the older, confirmed bachelor who enjoyed throwing money around (albeit not in a clueless way like Keaton) and who slept with anonymous eye candy who didn't mean anything to him. A seasoned playboy, if you will.

Robert Pattinson's Bruce Wayne... yeah, not a playboy at all. Not even pretending to be a playboy.

It'll be interesting to see how Pattinson's Bruce Wayne develops, and if we'll see him growing into the playboy image. But in the first movie... yeah, there's really no Bruce there.
This space intentionally left blank.
Eric Lee

Any thoughts about Moon Knight?

E1 - so far so good. Slow build up to the different characters and I like how they show what life is like living with multiple personalities or DID.
I've not read any moon knight after the 2014 mini series which introduced the Mr Knight persona; where he's literally the MCU White Knight Detective vs DCU Dark Knight detective.

So far it's been rather amusing with the different personas showing up and how Konshu is interacting with them. I'm looking forward to see how the series progresses.
EvilDuncan
White Whale: Heretic Gran Riserva S + Sb
Decks Owned: 1100

Unread post by EvilDuncan »

This episode of Moon Knight was fantastic. Easily one of their best shows so far. I'm hoping it dives deep into the Egypt aspects.
I've spent way more than I care to admit on playing cards, but I'll still buy just about anything that Lorenzo, Jackson, or Gio make.