Tally-Ho - Kings Wild Project Edition - Live

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
DelMagic

Re: Tally-Ho - Kings Wild Project Edition

Unread post by DelMagic »

While Club 808 decks may be $7.99, they aren't going to be staple decks that are commonly available for the next decade or two like regular BIkes and Tallys.

Paying $12 for 1-deck with shipping will certainly work short-term with a new deck. The question is, how many people are going to reorder the deck as a staple deck at that price? Even slightly discounted for a half brick or so, I don't think many magicians or others who might run through decks often will go for that on a recurring basis.

I am looking forward to getting a few for my collection and to use, but at these prices I'll stick with 808 Bikes and standard Tallys for my regular working decks.
montecarlojoe
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I think the idea is to establish the design and gauge interest in this as a staple. (But the KW turtle back may not be intended for that).

If it were to become the KW go-to deck then I'm sure KW would make that investment in a larger run for second edition and onward and the price point would fall accordingly.
Maddest Hammer
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Maddest Hammer »

My thought is this: the initial set-up costs money. Making the printing plates costs money. As the courts are called "Kings Wild Standard", we can assume that they will be used for other decks (come on Crimson Arrow!), so the plates for the number cards, faces and aces will already be done, hence lower production costs. So the beginning (Tally's) may well be the means to an end. Several of us just paid $20 a pop for Paul's Zenith, and that didn't include shipping, and there was very little complaint about price. Apples and oranges, I know, but not really. Lotrek just sold 200 decks at $90-$100 each, and most people were like "can I get more?"

I understand that at this price, it's not going to be the "beat it up, get it dirty, treat it like crap" deck that the $1.99 rider backs from Wally-World are. Hopefully the tuck will be of higher quality, and the deck will be printed on the "Bee" version of USPCC's paper, and if so, will be a big cut above said $1.99 deck. If the shipping is progressive, instead of a flat rate for a brick, you can get a brick for $105, which comes to just under $9 a deck. Still a little steep, but this is Jackson's job, not a hobby.
will kidnap and torture your boss for a dollar...
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

chach wrote:Why is everyone up in arms about an $8 price point?
Here's my issue (I mentioned it before in a previous post but I'll elaborate)- total cost, which includes shipping, is $12. It's all fine and dandy that the deck is $8 and comparatively speaking $4 is reasonable for shipping. But I (and probably most collectors) look at the total cost when ordering playing cards. And the percentage on shipping for these Tallys stings a bit! Math- 33% of the money I would (and will) spend on 1 deck is going toward shipping costs. As another example, Zenith's were $20 with $5 US shipping (I think). While you're obviously spending more to get a Zenith, only 20% of your money is going to shipping costs. Which doesn't sting as much.

I understand that nothing can be done about this and I'm still going to buy these. But I would say to stop looking at this deck as a "non-limited standard" or whatever and start looking at it as a deck of cards that is in the same price point as most custom decks nowadays. Jackson made another nice deck of playing cards that doesn't cost much less- or more- than other decks of its kind today.
Sparkz
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Sparkz »

Mike I know you feel like your doing a public service calling out others and what their doing with their projects and business, I would caution to worry about your business and how it's being built, presented and put together.

Everyone here and on every other media outlet has an opinion and a "Source", everyone thinks theirs a motive, people will buy what they want if they feel it fair, not you or anyone else will be able to tell someone what that "Magic" number is. People will bitch about something until it's handed to them, then everything is ok.

You, JR, and everyone else "Producing" something are in "Business" and with that, there are profits. As for business practices, I would caution anyone from "casting the 1st stone"
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

... man... are you people serious??????

Complaining about an $8 price??? WHo cares how much they cost Jackson, it's business.
Wasn't there a $100 deck just recently??? Didn't Paul sell his decks for $20.. from a cheaper printer??

Mike, you need to step off your high horse. Face it, you're just pissy because Jackson isn't part of your CL.. get over it.
For you to call him a buddy, and to be saying some of the stuff I've read and heard ... you're very two-faced.

Quack Quack Mike.. Quack Quack

(what's that smell... smells like a ton of burning bridges)

Jay
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

CBJ wrote:... man... are you people serious??????

Complaining about an $8 price??? WHo cares how much they cost Jackson, it's business.
Wasn't there a $100 deck just recently??? Didn't Paul sell his decks for $20.. from a cheaper printer??

Mike, you need to step off your high horse. Face it, you're just pissy because Jackson isn't part of your CL.. get over it.
For you to call him a buddy, and to be saying some of the stuff I've read and heard ... you're very two-faced.

Quack Quack Mike.. Quack Quack

(what's that smell... smells like a ton of burning bridges)

Jay
No, quite the opposite, in fact. I'm just fine, actually. The problem isn't whether or not Jackson is there, and I'm quite over being anything other than grateful for our existing and long-term relationship. I suppose that if I am going to sell thousands of decks at around $7-$8 each (and $4 shipping for a single deck, maybe $5-$6 for up to 1/2 brick, you think that unreasonable? I just want to break everybody out of the model that shipping is built in on everything, simply because it's been that way for a while and "people are used to it".
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

People can talk about quacking ducks all they want, but for me, the problem lies in the fact that the KW Tally isn't a deck that is suited for a crowd-funding platform. Jackson is calling this a staple deck. If it is to truly be a staple, then by definition it will be a deck that will be produced in great quantities steadily over an indefinite period of time.

He already stated he can't match the quantities of a mass produced deck, which is why it's priced more like a limited edition custom deck ($12 shipped for one deck). Then is it really a staple deck? What happens after this "crowd-funded" project completes and he distributes all 2500 to 5000 (or whatever number) decks to his "backers" and sells off any excess decks? Is he really going to run another "crowd-funding" campaign to print another run? Over and over again since this is a "staple" deck? Subsequent print runs should cost less since the art is already done and the printing plates already made, so will he charge less for these subsequent runs then? If so, then why overpay in the first run for a staple deck, just wait until they become cheaper as they continue to be produced (since its a staple). If he keeps the price at $12 shipped for these subsequent print runs, then its waaaay over-priced, especially for a staple deck that will have an unlimited and indefinite print run with start up costs already paid for. Do you see why a "staple" deck isn't suited to a true crowd-funding model?

There is no doubt this deck will be produced, otherwise Jackson wouldn't be calling it a staple deck. Therefor this isn't truly crowd-funding to give a fledgling company a boost, its a pre-sale for an already established company. After having run multiple $100,000.00+ campaigns on KS, I have a difficult time believing he doesn't have the capital to produce his "staple" deck on his own without using our money to begin production.

Jackson should've gone with a different deck to start his KW crowd-funding. A blinged up custom with a truly limited print run is better suited for the crowd-funding model, not a staple deck that will be indefinitely produced in non-limited numbers. When we heard the KW Tally would be a staple, we all had certain expectations based on that definition. Then when we find out this so-called staple deck is produced and priced like a limited run custom instead, its only natural you would have some confusion.

D$D started Deck$tarter with ill-suited inaugural decks for their crowd-funding platform that were already produced and over-priced and that lead to confusion and suspicion, and I don't know if Deck$tarter has ever recovered from that poor start. I think in his desire to have his KW crowd-funding get off to a good start, Jackson chose a deck he figured would be a slam dunk and went with it. But like I said, a staple deck is not well suited for crowd-funding and I hope he doesn't go down the same path as the Buck$.

As for Mike's comments, I think he should refrain from commenting on other people's playing card "crowd-funding enterprises. Period. Move along, Mike, nothing else to see here. Any comments you make (even legit ones concerning pricing) will be viewed as biased and disregarded anyways since you have competing interests. We all wondered why you came down so harshly on Deck$tarter, and now we all know it was because they came out first with a competing platform you were on the verge of announcing for yourself. You're doing it again with Jackson.
UtterFool

Unread post by UtterFool »

montecarlojoe wrote:If they say it's crowd funding then it is - if it relies on pledges to reach a target to produce a product then that's that - what they call it is irellevant. It could be called "KW Unicorn Workshop" and it wouldn't matter.
If they called it "Unicorn Worship" they may be able to file for a religious non-profit.
montecarlojoe wrote:PS. Ducks are awesome.
"I have nothing to declare except my folly"
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I'm one of the few people who doesn't care how much a deck cost if I like it, I just buy. He has that other deck that's supposed to be low priced that's fully customized so maybe that'll get all the fuss too.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: Tally-Ho - Kings Wild Project Edition (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

If this is a staple deck that will be produced indefinitely, $8 plus shipping is a bit steep. Why pay that for a deck now when in a year or two, they'll be 4-5 plus shipping. I'll probably pick up a deck or two just to have a V1.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
montecarlojoe

I really liked the teased yellow and blue backed version - I hope that returns at some point!
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

montecarlojoe wrote:I really liked the teased yellow and blue backed version - I hope that returns at some point!
I think Jackson mentioned that the yellow and blue version will be the LE version which will not be available during the campaign, but will be made available later.

EDIT: Quote from Jackson (page 5)
JacksonRobinson wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Now the question is... what happened to the Limited Ed Tallys with gold/yellow accents? Will those be released on Wednesday as well?
As of now I WILL be producing a LTD Version with the Gold and Blue back BUT at a different time. The focus of this project is two fold, one to create an economical Kings Wild deck that more people can enjoy because of the price point. Second, this project will be the first project I run off of KS and on my new Kings Wild Funded. Kings Wild Funded is fully developed and has a squeaky clean flow. I wanted for the first project to be simple and straight forward with little moving parts. 100% of the art work is done, It has been approved and blessed by USPCC legal, and 100% of the art work has already been submitted and in the production schedule of USPCC.

Back to the possible LTD Tally Hos, I would expect those to appear later this year. I really like the Tally Ho brand and it's History so I foresee me creating multiple editions.
montecarlojoe

Cool. Thanks for that :)
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
White Whale: Hermes 2 Deck Set
Decks Owned: 78623

Unread post by JacksonRobinson »

The Word "Staple Deck" is being thrown around alot with this deck in regards to it's price and production. I've looked through my comments on this thread and no where (that I can find) do ever say that this is meant to be a "Staple Deck" All I ever mention is trying to make a lower price point deck.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

JacksonRobinson wrote:The Word "Staple Deck" is being thrown around alot with this deck in regards to it's price and production. I've looked through my comments on this thread and no where (that I can find) do ever say that this is meant to be a "Staple Deck" All I ever mention is trying to make a lower price point deck.
Well you kinda did in the Crimson Arrow thread:
JacksonRobinson wrote:These will be paper for sure. I'm shooting for these to possibly be one of my first "test the waters" for the first Kings Wild "staple" deck. I'm shooting for an $8ish price range on Kickstarter.
and then in the Federal 52 Second Edition thread:
JacksonRobinson wrote:Don't underestimate the power if resting / negative space. I'm shooting for my tally ho deck to be my first staple deck.
I think the problem stems from what people consider a "staple" deck to be. Personally I think an $8 deck is just fine, sadly the international shipping means it will probably be out for me until/unless you can hook up with a UK/European supplier like JP to sell these on.
sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

That's the great thing about the internet: Anything you say or post will always be there, whether you remember saying it or not. This is a good lesson for all - say what you mean and mean what you say.
JacksonRobinson wrote:The Word "Staple Deck" is being thrown around alot with this deck in regards to it's price and production. I've looked through my comments on this thread and no where (that I can find) do ever say that this is meant to be a "Staple Deck" All I ever mention is trying to make a lower price point deck.
So I'm confused now, is this a staple deck or not? Despite what you've said before (and we know you like to "change directions" here at UC), the above post suggests it may not be a staple deck after all. Why don't you let us know what your anticipated print run will be for the future of this deck? And with all due respect, $12 shipped is not a lower price point from other KS custom decks. If fact, $12 shipped is the same price as every one of your other KS projects....
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

sinjin7 wrote:And with all due respect, $12 shipped is not a lower price point from other KS custom decks. If fact, $12 shipped is the same price as every one of your other KS projects....
I agree. And I shall reiterate:
vasta41 wrote: I would say to stop looking at this deck as a "non-limited standard" or whatever and start looking at it as a deck of cards that is in the same price point as most custom decks nowadays. Jackson made another nice deck of playing cards that doesn't cost much less- or more- than other decks of its kind today.
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

The wait is OVER.... They are live!

http://www.kingswildfunded.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Re: Tally-Ho - Kings Wild Project Edition - LIVE LIVE LIVE

Unread post by vasta41 »

I wish the tuck were embossed :( Still pretty though!
montecarlojoe

Cool - grabbed a couple - pretty clean looking site too.

Whether or not to add shipping to the pledge wasn't too clear but got through without too much hassle.
bamabenz

Unread post by bamabenz »

In for a brick. Too bad only blue backs.
'Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet you can't win.'
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Kings Wild Funding wrote:Special Funding Period Pricing

During the funding period the price of the Kings Wild Tally Ho ® decks will be discounted to the price of $8 per deck. Once the funding period is over and the decks are available to the general public the retail price will be raised to $12 per deck, so act now to take advantage of the funding period price.
I guess all that talk of making an affordable deck didn't mean anything...
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
cosmicsecret
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

A bit to expensive for my taste :(
sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

This isn't a staple deck, this isn't affordable at $16 shipped per deck after July 21, and its not limited - I don't care whether there is a small v1, v2, etc. at the bottom of each box for each printing run. From the pics, there doesn't seem to be any embossing or foil or interior printing/foiling on the inside of the tuck. We won't get these decks until December. And why only a blue deck? You know a red one is coming, just do them together to save us on shipping (which by the way, is done through his shipping co.).

Jackson sold most of his regular edition custom decks for $12 shipped on KS, along with all the KS and Amazon fees included as well as tucks with all the bells and whistles. He's now set up his own "crowd funding" site to save on those fees. All this is great - believe me, I don't begrudge Jackson wanting to make money, that's his prerogative and he needs to make profit to continue to do what he does. Just be open and frank about it and say, "I want to make more money!". Don't come here and spout inaccurate nonsense about "staple" decks or act like you're doing us this big favor by being so proud to be offering us an affordable fully custom deck at a lower price point when its not. Damn, who do you think you're fooling? Honesty and transparency is always the best policy....
chess

Unread post by chess »

I'm gonna pass

I'd rather get 3 - 4 regular tally hos for the same price as this. I wouldn't have to wait months for them either.
bamabenz

I paid $132 for a brick, that's $11 per Standard Edition deck from The Independence campaign.
I bought two Tally bricks for $177 total. That's $7.375 per deck, US shipping included.
That is considerably less. It may still be too expensive to you, but its a good deal to me.

/bama
'Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet you can't win.'
sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

bamabenz wrote:I bought two Tally bricks for $177 total. That's $7.375 per deck, US shipping included.
That is considerably less. It may still be too expensive to you, but its a good deal to me.

/bama
By my calculations, two bricks should be $180 ($90 x 2) plus $15 shipping ($10 for the 1st brick, $5 for the second brick) for a total of $195. How are you at $177?
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: Tally-Ho - Kings Wild Project Edition - LIVE LIVE LIVE (

Unread post by Cbkimble »

He may have used the discount code.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
bamabenz

Yup.