Invasion - Live on KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
macstrat

Invasion - Live on KS

Unread post by macstrat »

This deck reminds me of a cross between Omnia and The Planets.

✔ Custom Courts
✔ Custom Pips
✔ Embossed and foil Tuck
✔ Printing by EPCC

guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Invasion - Live on KS

Unread post by guru »

macstrat wrote:This deck reminds me of a cross between Omnia and The Planets.
Exactly my sentiments. When I looked at it, I felt I am looking at a deck that has taken inspiration from Thirdway Industries projects. When I looked closely at the courts, felt I was looking at Planets replica.
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I like what I see, truly some nice artwork. I also get Giovanni wibes from this, but I have to emphasize that it's similar but not a copy cat look. I don't see the Planets comparison, I don't think this project looks very similar to them.

I like it.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
macstrat

guru wrote:
macstrat wrote:This deck reminds me of a cross between Omnia and The Planets.
Exactly my sentiments. When I looked at it, I felt I am looking at a deck that has taken inspiration from Thirdway Industries projects. When I looked closely at the courts, felt I was looking at Planets replica.
I pledged for now. While derivative, they do look well done, and on a shelf would make a good transition between the other 2 sets. There are some things in there that also tell me he has done his homework in regards to production and design, like EPCC as a printer and offering uncut sheets.
shimmering
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by shimmering »

I guess those index "numbers" could make using these more challenging than it would need to be. I mean by all means take the indices off if you want, but if you have them on there, the whole point is that they make the cards easier to use. And I wonder what the diamonds are supposed to be. Am I not seeing it? The two black suits look relatively normal, the heart looks almost like a heart (but also quite like a spade), but I don't get the diamonds at all.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

shimmering wrote:I guess those index "numbers" could make using these more challenging than it would need to be. I mean by all means take the indices off if you want, but if you have them on there, the whole point is that they make the cards easier to use. And I wonder what the diamonds are supposed to be. Am I not seeing it? The two black suits look relatively normal, the heart looks almost like a heart (but also quite like a spade), but I don't get the diamonds at all.
Agreed with the Diamonds, maybe if they rotated them 45degrees, then they would look more appropriate ;)
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

At $20 shipped for a single early bird deck I can quite easily PASS
CupcakeBaron

Unread post by CupcakeBaron »

Räpylätassu wrote:I like what I see, truly some nice artwork. I also get Giovanni wibes from this, but I have to emphasize that it's similar but not a copy cat look. I don't see the Planets comparison, I don't think this project looks very similar to them.

I like it.
To me it looks like Gio made an Avengers Infinity War deck, the king of diamonds looks like Thanos' little brother rofl
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

I am not really seeing that much of the Planets, to me they are unmistakingly Gio-style with less exposed lady parts and more skulls (not dissimilar to Chris Ovdiyenko Calaveras).
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Nope. So much gray makes them look bad. Why not numbers, not dots, on number cards?
Move on, nothing to see here.
macstrat

RichK wrote:Nope. So much gray makes them look bad. Why not numbers, not dots, on number cards?
Makes it look more alien?
drunkbear8327
Initiate
Initiate
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 17

Invasion Playing Cards

Unread post by drunkbear8327 »

Hey guys,

Please consider checking out this Kickstarter, that my dad made.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/for ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you.
Attachments
9bc8b879fdc9984f10b6063add515193_original.jpg
9bc8b879fdc9984f10b6063add515193_original.jpg (58.97 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
drunkbear8327
Initiate
Initiate

shimmering wrote:I guess those index "numbers" could make using these more challenging than it would need to be. I mean by all means take the indices off if you want, but if you have them on there, the whole point is that they make the cards easier to use. And I wonder what the diamonds are supposed to be. Am I not seeing it? The two black suits look relatively normal, the heart looks almost like a heart (but also quite like a spade), but I don't get the diamonds at all.
The diamond is the white square between the red outlines.
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

I always like to see designers push the envelope for pip layouts and indices, so I can dig that aspect. The courts just really aren't my thing. Too bad.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Merged the start of a separate thread; sorry if it's introducing any confusion here. Welcome, drunkbear8327 to the UC!
This space intentionally left blank.
drunkbear8327
Initiate
Initiate

Stepchild wrote:At $20 shipped for a single early bird deck I can quite easily PASS
For early bird one deck, it was $14 for a deck and $6 delivery (14+6=20).
IMG_2930.jpg
Right now all early birds single deck are sold out. However you can still buy a nonearly-bird deck for $16 plus $6 for delivery (at the "Checkout" it would say $22 because it would add the price of the deck and delivery)
IMG_2931.jpg
sorry for inconvenience.
drunkbear8327
Initiate
Initiate

RichK wrote:Nope. So much gray makes them look bad. Why not numbers, not dots, on number cards?
It is not gray, it is silver metal ink.

if you go on the page it is stated as one of the first sentences.
Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 11.29.10 AM.png
Sorry if it wasn't clear.
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

Hi drunkbear8327! a couple quick questions: so.... was it 8 cows? or 9?? :ugthink: and also.... will those super cool tinfoil hats be available as add-ons?? :ugthink: lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

But in all seriousness, the overall design in general is pretty solid and the only area that I might consider in need of improvement would be changing the dot indices you currently have to represent the cards' value to actual numbers so they would be more practical in use for gameplay. The pip orientation of the diamond suit might also lend itself better if rotated 45 degrees to be slightly more recognizable on first glance. Tbh, the originality of the custom pips themselves don't really bother me - in fact, I quite like them; they feel cohesive to the theme and are definitely different but I'm still able to distinguish the 4 suits without difficulty.

For a first-time deck creator, this is pretty impressive; unfortunately though, it's not a theme/concept that particularly appeals to me personally, but I am excited to see what else y'all come up with in the future :)

Congrats on the launch - the campaign has already started off strong and I'm sure will reach the goal in no time. Regardless, best of luck! :)

and welcome to UC :D
CupcakeBaron

Unread post by CupcakeBaron »

drunkbear8327 wrote:

That may be the case but in my experience silver metallic ink doesn't translate that well and still tends to look grey in person.
drunkbear8327
Initiate
Initiate

shermjack wrote:
Agreed with the Diamonds, maybe if they rotated them 45degrees, then they would look more appropriate ;)
The aces are intended as "Spaceships" for 4 different alien races. And suit pips are little representations of them
Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 11.41.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 11.41.29 AM.png (235.56 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
If you look at the aces first the pips will make more sense, plus they were stylized to look more "alien like".
drunkbear8327
Initiate
Initiate

PipChick wrote:Hi drunkbear8327! a couple quick questions: so.... was it 8 cows? or 9?? :ugthink: and also.... will those super cool tinfoil hats be available as add-ons?? :ugthink: lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

But in all seriousness, the overall design in general is pretty solid and the only area that I might consider in need of improvement would be changing the dot indices you currently have to represent the cards' value to actual numbers so they would be more practical in use for gameplay. The pip orientation of the diamond suit might also lend itself better if rotated 45 degrees to be slightly more recognizable on first glance. Tbh, the originality of the custom pips themselves don't really bother me - in fact, I quite like them; they feel cohesive to the theme and are definitely different but I'm still able to distinguish the 4 suits without difficulty.

For a first-time deck creator, this is pretty impressive; unfortunately though, it's not a theme/concept that particularly appeals to me personally, but I am excited to see what else y'all come up with in the future :)

Congrats on the launch - the campaign has already started off strong and I'm sure will reach the goal in no time. Regardless, best of luck! :)

and welcome to UC :D
The argument about cows is still going. As for the hats, sadly we cannot take them off because aliens will read our minds and find out that we are aware of their plans. :)

As for the numbers go, don't worry just follow the Kickstarter and Instagram accounts to not miss out on some IMPORTANT UPDATES ;)

Thank you for your feedback.
drunkbear8327
Initiate
Initiate

CupcakeBaron wrote:
drunkbear8327 wrote:

That may be the case but in my experience silver metallic ink doesn't translate that well and still tends to look grey in person.
The silver ink looks really good in contrast with blue. Plus, for reference, it would look close to ink on National deck by theory 11. In my opinion metallic silver ink looks completely different from grey, unless you are playing at midnight with no lights on :D
PipChick

I think the issues people are concerned with is that it seems that the color palette is a bit too monochromatic and unbalance in a few of the card designs which doesn't provide enough of a contrast between the varying shades of gray and metallic ink causing it all to mute out the entire design; take a look at the JoD - there's barely any red and the majority of the design will be with silver metallics next to only slightly varied shades of gray and with the linework so fine and no solid areas of stark black, that card may unfortunately just look like a big blob of 50 shades of gray :| The JoC on the other hand has at least some areas of blue that break up the solid areas of gray and metallic inks which will allow enough contrast for those details to come through and be seen.
drunkbear8327
Initiate
Initiate

PipChick wrote:Image

I think the issues people are concerned with is that it seems that the color palette is a bit too monochromatic and unbalance in a few of the card designs which doesn't provide enough of a contrast between the varying shades of gray and metallic ink causing it all to mute out the entire design; take a look at the JoD - there's barely any red and the majority of the design will be with silver metallics next to only slightly varied shades of gray and with the linework so fine and no solid areas of stark black, that card may unfortunately just look like a big blob of 50 shades of gray :| The JoC on the other hand has at least some areas of blue that break up the solid areas of gray and metallic inks which will allow enough contrast for those details to come through and be seen.
The design intended to look cold, like space. the second deck (blood edition) contains more color. The blues and reds are intended as accents not primarily colors.
PipChick

drunkbear8327 wrote:The design intended to look cold, like space. the second deck (blood edition) contains more color. The blues and reds are intended as accents not primarily colors.
Makes sense, and I totally get the cold, space feel from the palette, but metallic inks only really shine when contrasted next to non-metallic inks in bold complimentary colors - silver on gray just might not be enough... :| just some honest feedback worth a moment of consideration because they really are some great designs; I'd just hate to see the details washed out by less than perfect color choices :)
drunkbear8327
Initiate
Initiate

PipChick wrote:
drunkbear8327 wrote:The design intended to look cold, like space. the second deck (blood edition) contains more color. The blues and reds are intended as accents not primarily colors.
Makes sense, and I totally get the cold, space feel from the palette, but metallic inks only really shine when contrasted next to non-metallic inks in bold complimentary colors - silver on gray just might not be enough... :| just some honest feedback worth a moment of consideration because they really are some great designs; I'd just hate to see the details washed out by less than perfect color choices :)
There is no gray ink on the card's face or back, nor on the tuck box. there is 4 colors on space deck: blue, silver, black, and red. On the blood deck here are also 4 colors: blue, gold, black and red.

Out of 2 decks 0 contain gray ink.
PipChick

okay, maybe it's my screen but what color will the JoD's face be? it doesn't seem to be white like the background... and it appears to be a just slightly lighter tone than he's uniform... and the band merging the two mirrored images also appears like a shade unlike either of those two so I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what areas are intended to be metallic inks and what areas not if there is no use of any gray??? are you intending to use different shades of metallic inks to differentiate between these areas instead?? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I don't think I'm understanding how these are intended to be printed - thanks in advance for the clarification :)
drunkbear8327
Initiate
Initiate

PipChick wrote:okay, maybe it's my screen but what color will the JoD's face be? it doesn't seem to be white like the background... and it appears to be a just slightly lighter tone than he's uniform... and the band merging the two mirrored images also appears like a shade unlike either of those two so I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what areas are intended to be metallic inks and what areas not if there is no use of any gray??? are you intending to use different shades of metallic inks to differentiate between these areas instead?? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I don't think I'm understanding how these are intended to be printed - thanks in advance for the clarification :)
It is 30% metallic silver ink. It will have clear shine to it but it would differ from 100% metallic silver ink
PipChick

okay, so metallic silver, with a darker shade of metallic silver - I understand.
drunkbear8327
Initiate
Initiate

PipChick wrote:okay, so metallic silver, with a darker shade of metallic silver - I understand.
It's not darker, it is more transparent.