Bharata Playing Cards Series 2

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Bharata Playing Cards Series 2

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

It is live now...

Hope to see you there.

Regards,
Sunish
Bradius
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: Bharata Tarot Playing Cards - Live now on Kickstarter

Unread post by Bradius »

Well, I can't spell Sunish. Maybe I need more coffee. I sure wish I could edit my comments on Kickstarter like I can here. Ah well. Anyway, glad to be backing this relaunch. I may up my pledge as the price point just gets better and I really want one to open this time.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Bradius wrote:Well, I can't spell Sunish. Maybe I need more coffee. I sure wish I could edit my comments on Kickstarter like I can here. Ah well. Anyway, glad to be backing this relaunch. I may up my pledge as the price point just gets better and I really want one to open this time.
Thanks Brad. My shipping partner gave me a super bulk discount on shipping worldwide and they said that I can avail this offer within next 4 months, and so I thought it is better to reward backers first & foremost. If all goes well, I expect to produce the decks by mid June and ship by June-end.
Ace

Unread post by Ace »

In for one
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING!! Not that I'm not also super excited for this deck (because I totally am and then some), but free shipping worldwide is one of the reasons I really, really, really appreciate your KS campaigns! Thanks so much for keeping your international friends in mind :D

Would it also be maybe possible to give backers the opportunity after the campaign to add-on the Bharata Major Arcana Tarot deck for those of us that missed out the first time around??

Either way, I'm in this time and wish you the best of luck on the campaign :D
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

Having backed both previous decks what is the reason to back this one other than just for support?

Legit question. I've got four of the original deck and two of the tarot. I'm trying to justify getting more.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Having backed both previous decks what is the reason to back this one other than just for support?
This deck is not something Sunish has previously released. He did try to release this deck and the Major Arcana as a combined deck in Kickstarter, but it failed. So, he went back to the drawing board and broke it into two projects. As I recall, Sunish also planned to put his own financing behind the Major Arcana. This deck will serve as it's own playing card deck AND the minor arcana for the Bharata Major Arcana deck. I am not a tarot collector, but I think that is right. Anyway, this is something that Sunish has not previously issued.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
joeblow

Unread post by joeblow »

In for a bunch. I was lucky enough to get Sunish's reward for the deck of the year contest which included Major Arcana decks. The artwork is great. Would be nice to have the Arcana as an addon so everyone can get the set if desired.

What I found interesting is that the full bleed faces with the gilding works really well. You might expect to be able to edge-sort but the gilding hides it quite nicely. When you do your tarot, you don't want them to see what's coming :)

guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

vedus wrote:Having backed both previous decks what is the reason to back this one other than just for support?

Legit question. I've got four of the original deck and two of the tarot. I'm trying to justify getting more.
Brad did explain beautifully but still I'd like to add to it. This deck in conjunction with Major Arcana deck makes the full tarot set. Secondly, you can have it on Kickstarter at the lowest price point with free shipping. I've never liked free shipping for backers in US & high shipping rates elsewhere, and through the decks I produce, I've tried to be fair to every backer on Kickstarter making sure that they are offered something with great value. Think of it as microcap, I've a vision that my decks will always increase in value post Kickstarter.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

PipChick wrote:FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING!! Not that I'm not also super excited for this deck (because I totally am and then some), but free shipping worldwide is one of the reasons I really, really, really appreciate your KS campaigns! Thanks so much for keeping your international friends in mind :D

Would it also be maybe possible to give backers the opportunity after the campaign to add-on the Bahrata Tarot Major Arcana deck for those of us that missed out the first time around??

Either way, I'm in this time and wish you the best of luck on the campaign :D
Thanks PipChick. I've just added the option to add the Major Arcana version as an add-on on project page. Will send an update to current backers in some time.
vedus

Unread post by vedus »

Good enough. In for a pair.
Myv

Unread post by Myv »

In for one, watched Jaspas' review of the tarot deck and I really wanted one but wanted one with poker card deck, and here it is :)
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Pledged for a deck!
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
PipChick

Attachments
UPDATE #2
UPDATE #2
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

It seems like excellent quality, as ususal, but Tarot cards aren't my thing. I just wanted to post to wish Sunish luck and hope these are successful.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

I just posted an update making some of the features Kickstarter exclusive which makes the current offering a limited edition version. The funding needle hasn't moved like it should have been and so I am going ahead with these changes to see if it can help in giving a push to cover the whole distance.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this deck produced and hoping to see some more collectors join the campaign due to this being a limited edition version now.

Latest update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/su ... ts/2168634

Appreciate if you can share this news with any collectors or playing card enthusiasts you know of. Any question, please let me know.

Regards,
Sunish
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

PipChick wrote:Image
Seems like some backers have joined UC after seeing my update #2. Good for UC :)
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Re: Bharata Tarot Playing Cards LIMITED EDITION: LIVE ON KS

Unread post by Stepchild »

Sunish,

I am very happy to be in and backing at the 2-deck tier. There is no doubt that the design here is great, the deck and tuck elements are superior in value/cost, and that your record on production quality is tops.

But I do want to share, I hope constructively, some of what is holding me back from increasing my commitment — and what is perhaps holding the project back overall.

I believe there is a somewhat confusing marketing to the project. The deck name recalls your other projects, while primarily speaking to this being a tarot deck. But in truth it isn’t a tarot deck at all. It is a standard poker deck with tarot indicators included, almost as a second-thought. I think this may diminish the deck’s appeal to “the tarot collecting public.” I think also this aspect of the deck’s marketing is diminishing its appeal to standard deck collectors — who honestly are missing out the most here, because as it is now this is a pretty great standard deck imo — those folks are perhaps saying to themselves “Tarot? Not my thing.”

Finally, as a backer of the earlier Major Arcana cards I have to say that the integration of this deck to that deck is somewhat lacking. I point mainly to design of The Pages. These cards are lovely and speak as true tarot cards. Their faces are one-way designs at full bleed and show the card name in full, e.g. “Page of Pentacles.” But now, in marked contrast, their _superior_ cards in this matching deck, the Knights (Jacks), Queens, and Kings lack all of those traits to unite them to the Pages.

It is a difficult needle to thread, to have this deck be both a standard gaming deck and a suitable (hee!) complement to your Major Arcana deck as a complete tarot. It may be necessary to choose one or the other. I do wish you the very best regardless.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Stepchild wrote:Sunish,

I am very happy to be in and backing at the 2-deck tier. There is no doubt that the design here is great, the deck and tuck elements are superior in value/cost, and that your record on production quality is tops.

But I do want to share, I hope constructively, some of what is holding me back from increasing my commitment — and what is perhaps holding the project back overall.

I believe there is a somewhat confusing marketing to the project. The deck name recalls your other projects, while primarily speaking to this being a tarot deck. But in truth it isn’t a tarot deck at all. It is a standard poker deck with tarot indicators included, almost as a second-thought. I think this may diminish the deck’s appeal to “the tarot collecting public.” I think also this aspect of the deck’s marketing is diminishing its appeal to standard deck collectors — who honestly are missing out the most here, because as it is now this is a pretty great standard deck imo — those folks are perhaps saying to themselves “Tarot? Not my thing.”

Finally, as a backer of the earlier Major Arcana cards I have to say that the integration of this deck to that deck is somewhat lacking. I point mainly to design of The Pages. These cards are lovely and speak as true tarot cards. Their faces are one-way designs at full bleed and show the card name in full, e.g. “Page of Pentacles.” But now, in marked contrast, their _superior_ cards in this matching deck, the Knights (Jacks), Queens, and Kings lack all of those traits to unite them to the Pages.

It is a difficult needle to thread, to have this deck be both a standard gaming deck and a suitable (hee!) complement to your Major Arcana deck as a complete tarot. It may be necessary to choose one or the other. I do wish you the very best regardless.
Hey Stepchild,

Thanks for confirming some of my thoughts. You're bang on with the critique and I really appreciate it. This middle option is not working and this deck has somehow stalled in gaining backers from both playing card n tarot community. Though adding the tarot symbols was never an afterthought and was designed as a concept from the start but I think it has been a valuable lesson learned. I might pull the plug if things don't improve, let's see.

Regards,
Sunish
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I bumped up my pledge to add a couple Major Arcana decks.

Folks, if any of you are sitting on the fence, I gotta encourage you to back this project. The quality of the cards, the gilding, and the excellent design all combine to make this one of the best values and best decks to add to your collection. My kids and I continue to keep the Divine Art deck in our nightly rotation (we play cards every night as part of the bedtime ritual) because the artwork is fantastic and the deck really holds up to the kind of abuse that casual play can dish out. Whether you are looking for great art or great playing cards, you've got both here. The fact that these combine with his Major Arcana deck to make for a poker-sized Tarot deck makes them that much more interesting and versatile.

Let's get this thing funded! :)
This space intentionally left blank.
Stepchild

I’d also like to see this fund — very much want to surprise my wife with this as an addition to her tarot collection (she hasn’t seen the major arcana deck, as I’ve been holding it back, sure that the full tarot will be complete at some point [fingers remain crossed)].

But I think the funding level may be another concern. Right now this deck is only about 10% short of the number of backers that supported the Bharata MA deck, so I think probably many-to-most of those backers are repeating here. Yet the funding level here is only about 40% of the goal, while the MA deck got to almost 500% of its goal. Surely this deck is expected to be only around twice as expensive to produce as the prior one, yet the goal is nine times as high? I didn’t read everything, but I guess Sunish financed the MA deck quite significantly from his own pockets...

Given the Bharata original deck, the Major Arcana, and not forgetting the Divine Arts, it is clear Sunish is one of the most creative, resourceful — and determined! — designers working. This deck deserves to fund no doubt, but there are some unique wrinkles with every project.

I expect we will see ultimately see this project in another incarnation which will gather ALL the support it needs and deserves.
shimmering
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by shimmering »

Sunish, it looks as though you have four "spare" cards that are currently assigned as 2 jokers +2 others (I think?). Perhaps you could overcome your missing knights issue by reassigning these four cards to knights drawn in the same style and with the same dual suits as the other KQJ court cards.

(Note the ones that are missing are the knights/cavaliers who usually appear on horseback. The jacks/pages/valets are equivalent to each other and do not ride ...)
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

rousselle wrote:I bumped up my pledge to add a couple Major Arcana decks.

Folks, if any of you are sitting on the fence, I gotta encourage you to back this project. The quality of the cards, the gilding, and the excellent design all combine to make this one of the best values and best decks to add to your collection. My kids and I continue to keep the Divine Art deck in our nightly rotation (we play cards every night as part of the bedtime ritual) because the artwork is fantastic and the deck really holds up to the kind of abuse that casual play can dish out. Whether you are looking for great art or great playing cards, you've got both here. The fact that these combine with his Major Arcana deck to make for a poker-sized Tarot deck makes them that much more interesting and versatile.

Let's get this thing funded! :)
Thanks Allan. Your words warmed my heart. Happy to hear that Divine Art is still keeping up in the rotation.
Stepchild wrote:I’d also like to see this fund — very much want to surprise my wife with this as an addition to her tarot collection (she hasn’t seen the major arcana deck, as I’ve been holding it back, sure that the full tarot will be complete at some point [fingers remain crossed)].

But I think the funding level may be another concern. Right now this deck is only about 10% short of the number of backers that supported the Bharata MA deck, so I think probably many-to-most of those backers are repeating here. Yet the funding level here is only about 40% of the goal, while the MA deck got to almost 500% of its goal. Surely this deck is expected to be only around twice as expensive to produce as the prior one, yet the goal is nine times as high? I didn’t read everything, but I guess Sunish financed the MA deck quite significantly from his own pockets...

Given the Bharata original deck, the Major Arcana, and not forgetting the Divine Arts, it is clear Sunish is one of the most creative, resourceful — and determined! — designers working. This deck deserves to fund no doubt, but there are some unique wrinkles with every project.

I expect we will see ultimately see this project in another incarnation which will gather ALL the support it needs and deserves.
Yea, I did finance that deck but can't do it each time. If you watch kickstarter and playing cards market closely, you may not find anyone else offering a custom deck at such a value. Though we consider ourselves rational beings but seems like we have our own biases and we are mostly irrational.

Even the experiment of offering a special handmade card from a playing card or ganjifa deck as a freebie didn't help the campaign much, but being frank those particular cards are more valuable than the main deck itself. Backers who have been with me from the start know I keep certain things in wrap and only reveal post kickstarter.
splgift.png
splgift.png (318.82 KiB) Viewed 3984 times
You're right in saying there are unique wrinkles, kickstarter is a tough game.....
shimmering wrote:Sunish, it looks as though you have four "spare" cards that are currently assigned as 2 jokers +2 others (I think?). Perhaps you could overcome your missing knights issue by reassigning these four cards to knights drawn in the same style and with the same dual suits as the other KQJ court cards.

(Note the ones that are missing are the knights/cavaliers who usually appear on horseback. The jacks/pages/valets are equivalent to each other and do not ride ...)
I was asked to do the same by another backer Shimmering. Far more people like jokers in a playing card deck more than having somethign else like knights, and so I don't think at this stage this change will benefit the funding when it is a steep hill to climb. Thanks for the your comment though. I gifted Pike & Clover to a friend last weekend.
Stepchild

Sorry to see this project be terminated, but extremely hopeful that it will see reincarnation and the ultimate success it merits. Good luck Sunish!
PipChick

Stepchild wrote:Sorry to see this project be terminated, but extremely hopeful that it will see reincarnation and the ultimate success it merits. Good luck Sunish!
This makes me tarotably depressed :(

Best of luck on the relaunch - I look forward to being there day 1 to back again
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I'll be there Sunish when you relaunch.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Darn. I am not wild about this not matching the major arcana deck. However, I get it may be necessary without more support....sad
VXD
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by VXD »

Sunish

I'm sorry that this one has not funded for you.

Can I suggest something.....which I have made sure of, since my last launch.....concentrate a decent portion of effort and time (which clearly you put into your projects) in building and marketing on social media. If you build a follower base on Insta and to a lesser extent fb (fb all about the paid post boosts and promotions unfortunately) you will get more pledges for your projects.

I am not a big fan of social media myself, but these days it is where a very high proportion of supporters come from, for sure.

Hope you're well.

Regards
VISIT OUR WEBSITE & SHOP:
https://vxdgaming.com/
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

PipChick wrote:
Stepchild wrote:Sorry to see this project be terminated, but extremely hopeful that it will see reincarnation and the ultimate success it merits. Good luck Sunish!
This makes me tarotably depressed :(

Best of luck on the relaunch - I look forward to being there day 1 to back again
Likewise, I vishnu success next time around.
This space intentionally left blank.
PipChick

Bradius wrote:Darn. I am not wild about this not matching the major arcana deck. However, I get it may be necessary without more support....sad
yea, I hope this minor setback doesn't cause Sunish to sacrifice or compromise his vision too much on this deck because these cards and the concept truly is exceptional. It's definitely a challenging situation and I agree that more promotion through a social media advertising campaign might be a way to better reach the masses and get the production for this deck funded. Either way, I have faith this deck will in time garner the attention and success it deserves.