The House of the Rising Spade

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Bradius
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: The House of the Rising Spade

Unread post by Bradius »

I just figured that if all the Gatekeeper sets sell out (a reasonable assumption) and current pledges remain unchanged, then that will push up the pledges to right at 250% of the goal amount. That would unlock the brick cases and the laser engraving on the carat cases (I guess otherwise it would just be a clear carat case). That would just leave the last stretch goal to meet, which is foil and embossing on the brick cases. I guess the remaining stretch goals are helping the tiers/pledges with brick sets and/or carat cases.

A mixed brick brings your average cost down to like $12.50 per deck, which is rather good considering half will have cold foil, the other printed by USPCC, tucks by Lotrek and fulfillment by Gamblers Warehouse. He put together a solid group to help build and ship this campaign.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Lorenzo, as I was pulling out a Gemini deck and was noting that the Joker with the deck guard on it also had a "Joker" key included in the design. Was this a hint or a nod to the House of the Rising Spade deck? I am just wondering now.
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 130

Unread post by Stockholm17 »

Bradius wrote:Lorenzo, as I was pulling out a Gemini deck and was noting that the Joker with the deck guard on it also had a "Joker" key included in the design. Was this a hint or a nod to the House of the Rising Spade deck? I am just wondering now.
actually not, I used keys in the house of the rising spade because they fit with the concept :)
The key on the 3rd joker is supposed to open the round bottle with the 2 faces and choose the liquid you want to drink eheh
gcxmr2

Unread post by gcxmr2 »

Stockholm17 wrote:
Bradius wrote:Lorenzo, as I was pulling out a Gemini deck and was noting that the Joker with the deck guard on it also had a "Joker" key included in the design. Was this a hint or a nod to the House of the Rising Spade deck? I am just wondering now.
actually not, I used keys in the house of the rising spade because they fit with the concept :)
The key on the 3rd joker is supposed to open the round bottle with the 2 faces and choose the liquid you want to drink eheh
That’s pretty cool. I never thought how the things in the cards had uses. I guess I will have to look through the decks and see if I can spot anything else.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Well, I missed that guess. At least now I know the key did have a cool purpose.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Upgraded my pledge to 4 Cartomancer + 4 Faro + Custom Carat Card Case.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

That is good. That gives you a half brick in the custom case and a deck of each to open and enjoy. I bought an extra set of decks myself to open.

903 backers at an average pledge of $90 each. That is the same average as the Gemini campaign, but quite a few more backers. Another great campaign as more people get exposed to Lorenzo’s magnificent work.

Although in looking back some more, there were 1,408 backers for Heretic. I would like to see more backers, even if they just back for one or two decks.
theCapraAegagrus

Yeah, I wanted to have a full case to display, just like my Gemini set. I have Requiem/Heretic/No.17 in my second Gemini case, too.

I may have said this before, but Lorenzo only releases 1 campaign/year, and you can tell that he puts everything into those decks. Sometimes I'm neglectful of just how nice a deck the No. 17's are. They're definitely his least "wow"-factor decks, but they're so ornate and playable. They're probably my favorite "standard" deck (fully-custom, easily-readable, non-distracting type).
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hi all,
I decided to release this, screw the stretch goal :) Lotrek will take care of it as he will do for the tuckboxes.
in the weekend final release, 3 more small things to complete the campaign.
stay tuned!

Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Near the bottom of the King of Spades, there appears to be the very back feathers of an arrow peaking out. It looks like it is stuck in his leg and is thus out-of-place with the strong ruler image. I must be wrong or missing something.

Maybe it is part of a shield.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Last two days. Time to step through the door if you are going to join.

I know the decks will not be numbered (something I really do like, by the way). However, can you give us the final print run for each deck? I really like to know that for the record.

If I just take the pledged tiers divided by the number of decks in each tier (as of now), I get 3,882 decks total. Of course, there will be a few more as add ons, but it looks like it will be right around 2,000 decks for each version. That is less than half the Heretic Deck run at 4,100 for Noctis and 4,400 for Lux. If I recall right around Gemini's run of 2,500 each for the Gemini Terra and Gemini Ignis and 2,000 deck run for the Gemini Noctis decks.

The total number of backers is sitting at 1,008 as of now, so it looks like this campaign will take the #2 spot from No. 17 Bicycle Branded campaign (1,015), but less than the Heretic Campaign (1,408).
Thedissident001

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

The drops are starting. There is one “The Gatekeeper” available as of now.

I’m actually thinking about dropping mine too, the unit pricing is actually very high on these. For $147 AUD ($111 USD) I’m getting one faro, one cartomancer and 1 Gatekeeper Deck. I wouldn’t even consider buying with a unit pricing so high for anyone but he or Lotrek. I went the full compliment (~$500 AUD) for Gemini so not afraid to pull the trigger when the value is there - not quite seeing at this point however
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

The cost for the gatekeeper is in the resin “gate”. Keep in mind it is also hand-painted, which increases the cost.
aznh

Unread post by aznh »

Bradius wrote:The cost for the gatekeeper is in the resin “gate”. Keep in mind it is also hand-painted, which increases the cost.

Both decks without the Gatekeeper is about $40US~ by themselves. If you think the remaining $70US~ is worth the plastic resign that's "hand painted" & slipped into a larger tuck box is worth the cost by all means go for it but lets be honest, there's NO WAY this level of "gifts" is remotely worth the $111US~ + the Shipping for international customers that help the US backers receive their goods for free.

I'm sure people will be quick grab them while there still available, but buyers remorse will quickly kick in once people realized they overpaid for playing cards AGAIN, regardless of the 200+ Gatekeepers that were produced. 200 is NOT a low number anyway you look at it.
theCapraAegagrus

aznh wrote:
Bradius wrote:The cost for the gatekeeper is in the resin “gate”. Keep in mind it is also hand-painted, which increases the cost.

Both decks without the Gatekeeper is about $40US~ by themselves. If you think the remaining $70US~ is worth the plastic resign that's "hand painted" & slipped into a larger tuck box is worth the cost by all means go for it but lets be honest, there's NO WAY this level of "gifts" is remotely worth the $111US~ + the Shipping for international customers that help the US backers receive their goods for free.

I'm sure people will be quick grab them while there still available, but buyers remorse will quickly kick in once people realized they overpaid for playing cards AGAIN, regardless of the 200+ Gatekeepers that were produced. 200 is NOT a low number anyway you look at it.
Incorrect. The 200 Venexiana Gold decks out there is a low number. The 200 Scarlett Tally-Ho Gold decks out there is a low number.

200 is, certainly, a low number. Especially in regards to an artist with 1,000+ customers supporting this campaign.

I've considered grabbing a Gatekeeper bundle if one was dropped, but since the deck itself is not exclusive to the package, I'm not interested (same as the Gemini Experimental deck).
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I have modified my pledge to change a split brick to a brick of just Cartomancer decks. I will choose foil every time. I also added two more laser-etched cases so I can see the decks inside.
theCapraAegagrus

Bradius wrote:I have modified my pledge to change a split brick to a brick of just Cartomancer decks. I will choose foil every time. I also added two more laser-etched cases so I can see the decks inside.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Yes indeed!

Actually, as I look at his older decks, it is the Heretic Noctis and Gemini Noctis that are in higher demand. I am thinking the same will be true for the Cardomancer version. It wasn't that much more to upgrade. And besides - foil and gold. :ugking:
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Actually, that is not really correct. I will do this in both SEK and current USD converted currency. If you look at the Gatekeeper bundle it includes 4 regular decks (2 Faro decks and 2 cartomancer decks), One custom laser-engraved 6-deck case, one Gatekeeper deck (which includes a resin piece, a cartomancer deck and a custom case (about 2 deck thickness) and a special number card). The price for the 4 deck mix is 540 SEK or $63 USD (not $40). The laser engraved case is 233 SEK or $28 (BTW, the best price I can get on a standard 6-deck carat case is $19.99, plus shipping). If you take those at full value, the difference between those components and the Gatekeeper Bundle is 1,340 SEK - 540 SEK - 233 SEK = 567 SEK or $66 (US shipping included). Also, keep in mind the gatekeeper deck itself includes a Cartomancer deck, which is 180 SEK or $21 alone. So, now the special case and resin piece with the special number card is only $45. Even if you look at just the Gatekeeper deck alone, it is 890 SEK, but back out the cost for the Cartomancer deck of 180 SEK, the additional cost for the extras is only 710 SEK or $83 (US shipping included). It still isn't too bad, but the bundle definitely gives you good value if you want the extra decks and nice custom carat case.

In the end, it is just what you want and are willing/can spend. I can certainly understand why some don't want to spring for the Gatekeeper. It is likely only going to attract those that seriously like Lorenzo's stuff and this series especially.
Spectre
Decks Owned: 3000

Unread post by Spectre »

So with each tier the cost analysis is different. In my case, I pledged for the "Attic". In this tier I should receive one brick of each: Faro and Cartomancer decks (24 decks) plus a Gatekeeper Bundle (1 Gatekeeper w/ Cartomancer deck, plus two additional Faro and Cartomancer decks (5 decks). For a total of 29 decks in the tier. There are further items in the tier but for my cost analysis, I'll exclude them for now. Currently KS says the tier cost about $456 US. My simple math puts me at $15.73+/- per deck (456 dollars divided by 29 decks). To me $16 is an affordable price for Lorenzo's decks. On top of that the Gatekeeper resin piece, the laser engraved carat case, the custom brick boxes (2), the uncut (2) the coin guards (2), the stickers, pins, pendant and whatever else might becoming from Stockholm are free.

I never really looked at it in the way that the Gatekeeper cost is too high or priced out what everything cost individually, because for me, it's all about the decks I'm getting. In the tier I pledged for, everything very reasonable. I realize the overall price for the tier is a higher cost that most people would want to spend, but as a cost per deck option, I'm a little surprised there are only 15 of us crazy enough to be locked up in the "Attic". Edit: (Opps, another crazy person just joined us in the Attic for 16 now...)
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

Just dropped my Gatekeeper bundle, so there is now one of those available again for the moment
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Congrats Lorenzo on another amazing Kickstarter campaign. Over 1,100 backers and just shy of $95,000.

As you said in the Kickstarter messages, time for some well-earned rest. Soon your awesome parters can do what they do and you will not have to work so hard.

If I counted right, there were 201 Gatekeepers pledged (assuming none as add-on bundles) and that they all fund. Right at you target.
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hi guys,
thank you so much! i was exhausted.. gosh! a KS campaign takes so much energy.
774,500 SEK are a shy $90,000 USD

Walk of shame for a dude that dropped his limited gatekeeper reward at 3 minutes before the end. And high-five to the last backer who joined at 2 minutes before the end. :)

anyway:

Ace

Unread post by Ace »

Looking forward to getting the decks and congrats on the funding.
Stockholm17 wrote: Walk of shame for a dude that dropped his limited gatekeeper reward at 3 minutes before the end.
I wouldn't necessarily call it a walk of shame for the guy that dropped out. I myself have dropped out of campaigns to take care of other priorities.
Cardians
White Whale: Anything Lotrek makes....

Unread post by Cardians »

Stockholm17 wrote:
Walk of shame for a dude that dropped his limited gatekeeper reward at 3 minutes before the end.
So what, now you have an extra one to sell later on down the road, or it looks like two as only 48 were sold in the Gatekeeper tier.
Ace wrote: I wouldn't necessarily call it a walk of shame for the guy that dropped out. I myself have dropped out of campaigns to take care of other priorities.
Exactly!
Stockholm17
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Stockholm17 wrote:I wouldn't necessarily call it a walk of shame for the guy that dropped out. I myself have dropped out of campaigns to take care of other priorities.
it is perfectly fine to cancel. None is forced to back or keep the reward they chose.
but if a backer is taking a spot of a very requested limited reward from day 1 (with people in line to get it), it is quite annoying that a backer keeps it until 3 minutes the end of the 30 days campaign.
It is disrespectful toward the other backers, not me.

Anyway, shame shame shame lol :D

Ace

Unread post by Ace »

Stockholm17 wrote:
Stockholm17 wrote:I wouldn't necessarily call it a walk of shame for the guy that dropped out. I myself have dropped out of campaigns to take care of other priorities.
it is perfectly fine to cancel. None is forced to back or keep the reward they chose.
but if a backer is taking a spot of a very requested limited reward from day 1 (with people in line to get it), it is quite annoying that a backer keeps it until 3 minutes the end of the 30 days campaign.
It is disrespectful toward the other backers, not me.

Anyway, shame shame shame lol :D

Life happens, things come up. I doubt his/her intent was disrespect. $100 its quite a bit of money to spend especially on a couple decks of cards. Put it up for sale and it will sell in a second. Still dont agree on shaming the backer.
Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

For clarity only: I’m not that guy (I don’t think?) I did drop the bundle tier, latish — only to upgrade to Room17 — and that bundle was grabbed up immediately by someone else (which I hoped would happen by my announcing it here).

But also, yeah people sometimes just have to drop a pledge completely for their own reasons that may not need explaining to the world...
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

Ace wrote:Life happens, things come up. I doubt his/her intent was disrespect. $100 its quite a bit of money to spend especially on a couple decks of cards. Put it up for sale and it will sell in a second. Still dont agree on shaming the backer.
Stepchild wrote:But also, yeah people sometimes just have to drop a pledge completely for their own reasons that may not need explaining to the world...
absolutely 100% agree

besides, all other backers had the same opportunity and chance to pledge for the Gatekeeper tier as that particular backer did and yet,, he got it fair and square. So it's really his choice whether to proceed with that pledge or not and I don't think it being limited or sought after by others should necessarily be a factor in making his decision because ultimately, it is his cash on the line.

I know I wouldn't want to feel pressured to keep or drop a pledge by anyone, or feel shame in deciding to do so either...
cardistroy

Unread post by cardistroy »

Going for the late pledgers on Monday after getting paid. Faro edition entices me as it is from USPC.