----------> The Versus Thread <----------

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
theCapraAegagrus

Re: ----------> The Versus Thread <----------

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

GandalfPC wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:48 pm Scotch by a mile. Single malt, with 18+ years on it.

Fly fishing vs Lure fishing
Macallan 18-year is better than the 25-year. :drool: :drool:

If I had to fish; Lure.

Best secondary color:

Orange vs Green vs Purple
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I know it's not going to be everybody's favorite, but Orange for the win! My Jeep is Orange, and my Jeep is better than your Jeep, no matter what color your Jeep is.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness VS Everything, Everywhere All At Once
This space intentionally left blank.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Stings to read this, because I go to the movie theatre only for selected flicks. Like once in a decade or so. Everything, Everywhere All At Once was definitely on my theatre list and I was super pumped after seeing the trailer. The shit shows of theatres in my closer area don't show it... Buck them!
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Harvonsgard wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:38 am Stings to read this, because I go to the movie theatre only for selected flicks. Like once in a decade or so. Everything, Everywhere All At Once was definitely on my theatre list and I was super pumped after seeing the trailer. The shit shows of theatres in my closer area don't show it... Buck them!
If you're going to play The Versus Thread, you have to choose.

If you're going to choose between Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Everything, Everywhere All at Once, you really owe it to yourself to watch them both in the theater.

If your neighborhood theaters don't show Everything, Everywhere All at Once, you clearly have to move.
Harvonsgard

I agree in all points, haha.

Winner (unseen) is clearly Everything, Everywhere All at Once. I've seen Dr.Strange at the theatre and it is good, no doubt but it clearly lacks Michelle Yeoh and a movie poster created by one of the greatest contemporary artists of our time - James Jean.

1D690996-D6F9-438F-9F7D-20018ACC6980.jpeg

Going with movies - animation, not the life action:

Akira vs. Ghost in the Shell
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Finally managed to finish Akira last week. Man the ending's a brilliant mindf**k. I thought Neon Genesis had the most twisted mindf**k, but now i know where they got it from. Love the music score. Using Balinese music is so different, especially in the 80s. So experimental, but it worked. Brilliant.

Without any qualifiers, it's hard to give a definite win to either one.

Akira's cultural influence is undoubted, but there's only ever been 1 Akira movie. So the Gen Alpha (post 2000k born) won't have any idea about it. Ghost in the shell is still around with new series and so still influencing current generation. Plus with new series being developed, it can keep being updated to fit the current society zeitgeist.

GitS one would argue has stronger relevance in the 21st century with the development on AI. As tech continues to develop, GitS will still raise impt questions and continue to stay relevant.

So without a qualifer, I will have to give GitS the slight edge.

Which's the better movie satire YT channel? Only the main video series, not the other series which came out of it. If you haven't heard of them, please do check them out.

Honest Trailer VS How It Should Have Ended
theCapraAegagrus

How It Should Have Ended.

Honest Trailers started heading in an unfunny direction a few years ago. IIRC, they were working under new management when their content became less-humorous.

Would you rather:

Gamma Ray Destroys Every Living Thing on Earth vs Another Carrington Event
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Eric Lee

Honest trailer's drop is most probably tied to the founder Andy being sacked for sexual harrasment way back in 2017.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/o ... llegations

Anyway, Another Carrington Event for sure. I mean, most of us will probably not be in a place where having no electricity would be fatal. Plus even if I do go , at least I'll get a great light show before I die!

Which would be worse?

No electricity for 1 month vs no piped water supply right now where you're staying

Qualifiers:
Your whole city is affected and you can't move from your home due to reasons... (Summer time for us in the north part)
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Having experienced both (power outages and whole-house water shut-off) for several days at a time, I'm going to say that having no piped water is FAR WORSE than no electricity.

...assuming bearable weather (ie, if it's extremely cold or extremely hot, a lack of electricity means no indoor climate control which means Jack You Dead) and continued availability of food and water despite lack of refrigeration or, well, piped water. :)

Having a Favorite Series Cancelled VS Having a Favorite Series With a Truly Terrible Finale

For example, the experience of loving Firefly versus the experience of having loved Game of Thrones or the Battlestar Galactica reboot.
theCapraAegagrus

I would rather... Have a terrible finale. At least with that option, there's closure, and I can ignore the ending (like Supernatural). Otherwise, you never know what the creatives would have done. It's a little bit like Zack Snyder's Justice League. It could have been bad, but I needed to see it and know for myself.

What kind of person are you?

Spend your money as fast as you make it, buying all of your needs on payday and doing little-to-no spending for a couple of weeks.

VERSUS

Budgeting day-to-day.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

Spending money as quick as it comes. Inflation kills it otherwise and the earlier you invest the better are your returns.

Rusty nail through your hand vs. rusty screwdriver through your leg

Eric Lee

Let's revive this thread, now that things have quieted down after a very busy past 2 months.

I'll take leg anytime. Hands have way more nerves than legs as seen in the pic from this site. Hands require finer motor control and we use them more than our legs.

Continuing on that theme:

Broken hand VS Broken femur
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eric Lee wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:39 am Let's revive this thread, now that things have quieted down after a very busy past 2 months.

I'll take leg anytime. Hands have way more nerves than legs as seen in the pic from this site. Hands require finer motor control and we use them more than our legs.

Continuing on that theme:

Broken hand VS Broken femur
Broken femur for the same reasons you give regarding stabbed hand versus stabbed leg.

Tony the Tiger VS Hobbes
GandalfPC
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

Hobbes, the finest Tiger ever to prowl the funny pages. If anyone had been thinking Tony, you are simply incorrect.

Chicken Pot Pie vs Shepards Pie
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

GandalfPC wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:46 pm
Chicken Pot Pie vs Shepards Pie
Chicken Pot Pie. Mashed potatoes are no substitute for a good buttery, flaky crust.

Mountains vs. Beach
Eric Lee

Beach. No question. Far easier to access and the seafood is amazing. Can't say that about the mountains. While good for a few days retreat and for the cold weather; I'll take the beach anytime.

Spring vs Summer vs Fall vs Winter
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spring. Because days are getting longer, temperatures are returning to something resembling pleasant, people are shedding their winter clothing, greenery starts greening. Spring is about everything improving.

Thanksgiving VS 4th of July

Sorry for the US-centric holidays, but someone else can choose other-centric holidays when they get up to bat. :)
Sir Toddalot
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Unread post by Sir Toddalot »

Thanksgiving! My family always put more emphasis on Thanksgiving growing up, we always got together with our family and had tons of great food. Unlike most people it seems, I actually like getting together with my family on the holidays! :) To be honest, most years I almost forgot about the 4th of July. I guess I can’t call myself a real American. :oops:

Hardcover books vs softcover books vs ebooks vs audiobooks
“An open mind is like to an open wound, vulnerable to poison. Liable to fester. Apt to give its owner only pain.”

-Sand Dan Glokta, The First Law
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

Audiobooks for the win! I wouldn't have time to read a quarter of the fantasy I read if I didn't use audiobooks on the commute to work. Get me a good narrator and I am happy as a clam.

For Holiday Shopping:
Amazon vs. Local Shopping
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
theCapraAegagrus

BaconWise wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:32 pm Audiobooks for the win!
You're fired.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Eric Lee

Have to say both. I have Shoppe which is like the Amazon of South East Asia. Local shopping is good for seeing just what you're going to get and sometimes can be cheaper when you factor in the shipping. Plus, no waiting time. Shoppe is great as I can deliver it as gift directly and still cheaper most of the time if you wait for the sales.

At your current stage in life for most general stuff: (not including clothes. If New, do state what you would only buy new, even if 2nd hand is available)

Buying 2nd hand vs buying new
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Buying New is usually the way I prefer to get my playing cards, because they're cheaper when they first come out and not always available (and usually more expensive) later.

Likewise, for most general stuff: new is less likely to break anytime soon, and if it does, it's often under a warranty of some kind. Old stuff, not so much.

Resurrecting Old Threads VS Letting Them Die
Harvonsgard

I love seeing things die but on general a little necromancy never hurt nobody, hue hue hue.

sticking to your club/franchise no matter what vs. moving on once you've realized they're trash