Master of Keys by Lonely Joker Cards (Todd Merrifield)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
kevork
Collector: Yes
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Master of Keys by Lonely Joker Cards (Todd Merrifield)

Unread post by kevork »

https://lonelyjokers.com/deckprojects/t ... er-of-keys
The entirety of the tale of the Master of Keys is set within a castle of ages long ago. The challenge of the puzzle within the deck splits the castle into four segments β€” the Royal Apartments & Throne Room (the Spades), the Castle Treasury (the Diamonds), the Armory & Dungeons (the Clubs), and the Royal Gardens & Grounds (the Hearts).

Within these four segments of the castle, a total of 52 doors or portraits have been customized by the Master of Keys which, when opened in the correct order, will lead the player to a secret chamber which holds a prize of great consequence. With this in mind, I created all of the cards in the deck to resemble doors or portraits that might be found in a castle of antiquity (with just enough fantasy & mystery to be believable).
Attachments
SPADES.png
CLUBS.png
HEARTS.png
DIAMONDS.png
PROMO_06.png
PROMO_06.png (549.12 KiB) Viewed 841 times
Screenshot_20240324_112742_Instagram.jpg
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Adamthinks
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 500

Re: Mastery of Keys by Lonely Joker Cards (Todd Merrifield)

Unread post by Adamthinks »

Intriguing. This was their previous deck. It had an intriguing puzzle also, but I didn't like the art on that one that much and the shipping was very high (I can't remember how much). I like the design on this new campaign a lot. Hopefully the shipping will be reasonable.
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Re: Master of Keys by Lonely Joker Cards (Todd Merrifield)

Unread post by Honeybee »

Interesting but I like more differentiation between suits
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Crap designs like this makes it hard to come up with uplifting thoughts in regrads to playing cards... It gave me a new appreciation for the theory11 Guradians of the Galaxy deck though so... there is that πŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™€οΈ.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Happyakrz
White Whale: Crypt by Lotrek
Decks Owned: 275

Unread post by Happyakrz »

Good morning, All,
I jumped onto UC this morning to potentially share some info about my upcoming deck and campaign, and lo-and-behold, @kevork had already beaten me to it! Thanks for sharing the images and letting this community have a peek of my work.
Scrolled down to see what constructive feedback may have been offered -- I'm all about constructive criticism - especially when it has the potential for adding depth or design direction to a concept -- and the last item on the page is unfortunately, precisely what I (and others) have come to expect from UC these days. All I can say is, BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!
Harvonsgard wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:43 pm Crap designs like this makes it hard to come up with uplifting thoughts in regrads to playing cards... It gave me a new appreciation for the theory11 Guradians of the Galaxy deck though so... there is that πŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™€οΈ.
Harvonsgard, you did me a real favor, reminding me how valued this site's opinion actually is! :) Thanks!!
Happyakrz

Enthusiast. Boat-Rocker. Creator.
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

Happyakrz wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:34 am Good morning, All,
I jumped onto UC this morning to potentially share some info about my upcoming deck and campaign, and lo-and-behold, @kevork had already beaten me to it! Thanks for sharing the images and letting this community have a peek of my work.
Scrolled down to see what constructive feedback may have been offered -- I'm all about constructive criticism - especially when it has the potential for adding depth or design direction to a concept -- and the last item on the page is unfortunately, precisely what I (and others) have come to expect from UC these days. All I can say is, BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!
Harvonsgard wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:43 pm Crap designs like this makes it hard to come up with uplifting thoughts in regrads to playing cards... It gave me a new appreciation for the theory11 Guradians of the Galaxy deck though so... there is that πŸ€·πŸΏβ€β™€οΈ.
Harvonsgard, you did me a real favor, reminding me how valued this site's opinion actually is! :) Thanks!!
To be honest, I tend to agree with this sentiment. I have already said it recently but the negativity in the UC forums has become one of the reasons why I do not participate as much on UC. I get it that forums are a place where someone should be able to express their opinion about a deck, it just seems the negative comments made about decks far outnumber positive comments. I realize, this could be an incorrect perception by me though. When a new deck is put on UC there is a flood of comments about every little thing that is not liked about it along with attempts to be witty about their dislike. I do think this hurts how UC is perceived. Oh well, just my opinion, carry on.
Ocelot
Decks Owned: 20

Unread post by Ocelot »

I understand that I am just a new member, but I personally feel comments like this are incredibly toxic, and do not serve the playing card community as a whole. If you do not like something, just say it isn't for you. Provide valuable feedback as to why you do not like something, because this helps the artist out. When I worked in film, I loved both positive and negative feedback that was constructive, as it was respectful, but also didn't make me feel terrible for my art. I learned so much from this approach and practice it in my daily life. If I do not like something, then it isn't for me, and I move-on. I refuse to shit all over another artist's work when they worked hard. Art is subjective, so not everyone will like everything.

We need to be better than this as a community. As a new member of UC, this is not a good impression.
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

While I agree with your sentiment, Ocelot, everyone has their own ways of expressing their impressions and thoughts. You'll find this is how Harv expresses himself.

It's not quite a deck for me, but I admire Todd's goal of incorporating a puzzle into the deck. Sounds like fun.
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
GandalfPC
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

It is difficult running an establishment frequented by both artists and critics - as one is notoriously sensitive to criticism and one deals in it - and while kindness is a flavor of critique it is not the only one enjoyed in such clubs.

Where the line gets drawn being a question, and β€œone the side of the critics for whom the site was built” being as close an answer as we have to work with.
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Adamthinks

Personally I favor more positive constructive feedback. Having said that, I do also enjoy Harv''s saltier form of criticism and think there is space for both.
Ocelot

Unread post by Ocelot »

kevork wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:17 am While I agree with your sentiment, Ocelot, everyone has their own ways of expressing their impressions and thoughts. You'll find this is how Harv expresses himself.

It's not quite a deck for me, but I admire Todd's goal of incorporating a puzzle into the deck. Sounds like fun.
I know, but even with everyone having their own method of expression, I feel those kinds of comments aren't beneficial to the overall discussion -- especially when the artist is looking around at comments and feedback. Instead of comments that can be insulting to artists, it would be better for everyone to be mindful of feelings, as well as providing detailed feedback without something like, "crap designs". If I looked around at comments, and somebody spoke that way to me instead of giving constructive feedback, I probably wouldn't return or be a part of that place. I 100% respect your view on this, but we also should take this situation as a lesson to improve ourselves and how we communicate with others.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to be funny with unique forms of criticism, but it also doesn't hurt to be mindful of our words and how they may impact others. Harvonsgard is awesome, and has always been kind to me since I started a few weeks ago, but I just wanted to share my opinion about their comment.

WITH THAT SAID....

My feedback on the cards is this:

- I totally dig the design, but the pips are a bit blended-in with the background color. Personally, I would make them a bright color that matches well with a brown background.

- I would be immensely happy if the front of these cards are embossed, as having the lines and such stick out to showcase great detail would be a win-win.

- I personally feel the borders on the court cards are a bit wide, and I don't know if you can, but to shrink them up a bit would look fantastic.

- Love the tuck box and card backing.

- The clubs come off a bit too dark to me for some reason. I would use a brighter color for the pips and such (kind-of like the brightness you have for those court cards) so that the identifiers are easily readable.

Those are what I have for feedback, but I do appreciate you taking the time to share your work with the community here!
Adamthinks

Ocelot wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:15 pm

I know, but even with everyone having their own method of expression, I feel those kinds of comments aren't beneficial to the overall discussion -- especially when the artist is kind enough to ask for our feedback.
To be fair, the artist first posted after Harv's comment. The thread was initially started by Kevork.
Ocelot

Unread post by Ocelot »

Adamthinks wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:50 pm
Ocelot wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:15 pm

I know, but even with everyone having their own method of expression, I feel those kinds of comments aren't beneficial to the overall discussion -- especially when the artist is kind enough to ask for our feedback.
To be fair, the artist first posted after Harv's comment. The thread was initially started by Kevork.
Thank you so much for that correct, and I deeply apologize for that mess-up. I read the start wrong, and that was definitely my bad. I fixed my post. :)
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

I dunno. When I first joined UC last year I held off posting anything negative because I just didn't see the point, just because a deck isnt for me doesnt mean it doesnt have an audience.

And I also noticed a few posters who Im surprised have ever bought a single deck based on their posting history.

But you also have artists who are so invested in their decks that they cant hear anything negative about them, or really just don't care in the first place as long as they sell. There have in fact been a lot of bad decks posted here IMO.

Is this a bad deck? no I dont think so, Im just not sure if it needed to be 4 decks.
GandalfPC
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

Simon Cowell is welcome here, as is Gordon Ramsay, should they ever come to collect cards - I imagine they will be brutal.
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Ocelot

Unread post by Ocelot »

Evilgamer wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm But you also have artists who are so invested in their decks that they cant hear anything negative about them, or really just don't care in the first place as long as they sell. There have in fact been a lot of bad decks posted here IMO.
I do agree with you that sometimes artists aren't receptive to criticism, and that is their fault. But, in this specific scenario, when I read this:
Crap designs like this makes it hard to come up with uplifting thoughts in regrads to playing cards.
I 100% understand the frustration from Todd and others here, as that isn't real criticism, it's just mean-spirited and serves no purpose/benefit in a discussion. Now, if Harv made recommendations and gave normal feedback with Todd getting upset, then that is a Todd issue. At the end of the day, we just need to be better. :)
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

Evilgamer wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm Is this a bad deck? no I dont think so, Im just not sure if it needed to be 4 decks.
I think it's just one deck!
Ocelot wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:56 pm At the end of the day, we just need to be better. :)
Kudos to you for feeling comfortable enough to share your thoughts openly. We can always be better and feedback is certainly helpful.
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
CCwonder

Unread post by CCwonder »

The internet in general can be very toxic so I am not surprised to see it here from time to time. I don't subscribe to the idea that if there is nothing good to say then be quiet.... that doesn't work out well unless you want a bunch of yes men. Grow a thicker skin and really who cares. Everyone should be able to speak their mind. To have a thought is to risk offending someone.
Ocelot

Unread post by Ocelot »

kevork wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:16 pm
Evilgamer wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm Is this a bad deck? no I dont think so, Im just not sure if it needed to be 4 decks.
Ocelot wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:56 pm At the end of the day, we just need to be better. :)
Kudos to you for feeling comfortable enough to share your thoughts openly. We can always be better and feedback is certainly helpful.
Absolutely! I was raised well by my Dad to speak my mind when I feel people do things that I view as wrong, but to also be respectful and smart while I communicate those viewpoints (benefits of having parents that actually care). Even though some here will disagree, if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. My responses could have been A LOT meaner, and I could have given some a reality check, but I didn't. I chose to speak my mind in a constructive and professional way to show respect to even those I disagree with.

Hopefully more thought-out responses/feedback/criticism, and less shit-slinging going forward, but, I digress. Twas' a fun chat! :)

This marks the end of my TED Talk.
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

kevork wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:16 pm

AH after looking through it again I think you're probably right actually.
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

Happyakrz wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:34 am Good morning, All,
WTF the BWAH BWAH BWAH must be you crying

Somebody started this thread and promoted your deck for you
There were then 2 legitimate comments
Before Harv did one of his crankys

What do you focus on - slamming all of us - GROW UP
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
Disenchanted_11

Unread post by Disenchanted_11 »

Adding foe is a great solution. Don't ever go down to their level.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Happyakrz wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:34 amHarvonsgard, you did me a real favor, reminding me how valued this site's opinion actually is! :) Thanks!!
Dunno if I should being honoured or kinda afraid that appearantly I speak for everyone in here now?

@Ocelot thanks for voicing your concern. Keep in mind that I don't necessarly always have the time, the mood or the inspiration to give a thourough feedback. And in all honesty, it's not my job either.
I know some will disagree but none of my comments stops anybody from posting the most uplifting and positive comments about a deck in here! For some it's just convinient to blame toxicity and negativity for their lack of involvement, when in all honesty they are simply too lazy to find something positive themselves.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
shunterino
White Whale: Wicked Kingdom
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by shunterino »

I would say the 'this place is toxic and does the card collecting community not favours' comment appears here every few months. And not always provoked by Harvonsgard. And frankly, those comments are overblown and wrong. This place serves the card collecting community more than any other site on the web despite its flaws. If you are a semi-serious collector (and for your own sake I hope you are no more than that), no other place comes close when it comes to finding out what's coming up, what's already gone and how to maybe get it, and just as somewhere to talk about cards.

This isn't a place to support and encourage card designers. It's a place where people who have spent thousands of dollars on a dumb hobby can get overexcited about bits of paper with a little foil on them or bitch about some lazy designer who hasn't delivered on a kickstarter (or whatever else will make us feel less bad about the money we've wasted over the years).

If a designer doesn't like what's said about their baby and leaves forever, so what? Their next deck will still get posted here and talked about. This place isn't for them, it's for us -- although they are very welcome and always get treated well even if their decks don't. And the idea people could be nicer about it, more constructive etc is not a reasonable suggestion if you want genuine feedback. It just isn't possible. Which means sometimes you get rude, insulting, dismissive comments. Good. I'd much rather that then some sterile fake attempt to say three good things for every bad.

Anyway, I think these cards are incredibly ugly and look like someone used a bunch of cheap art assets from some software program from 2008. I like the idea of puzzles in a deck of cards but this doesn't do it for me. I'll wait and see what they do with their next one.
CCwonder

I don't like this design or 'art'. After The Locker failed, I kind of expected the lonely joker to come back with a banger. Maybe it's just not in him.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

[Let's all try to focus on cards here -- and a little bit of positivity never hurt anyone :D ]
P52 β€’ DC β€’ IG β€’ UC β€’ r/ β€’ m/ β€’ 52+J
CCwonder

hsbc wrote: ↑Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:04 pm [Let's all try to focus on cards here -- and a little bit of positivity never hurt anyone :D ]
We are talking about a particular deck of cards and subsequently the person who is going to create and sell them. I would love to have something positive to say about the cards. I wish all playing card producers the best but they have to earn some of it. Maybe this deck will do well, who knows. It's not for me.