Search function broken

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

flyers3003
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Search function broken

Unread post by flyers3003 »

It looks like there were a number of duplicate decks entered recently - someone not paying attention to what they were doing and entering in the same deck twice in a row - but then someone else appears to have deleted a lot of them and now the search function is no longer working except for the most recent 50 decks or so.
Shade
White Whale: Grotesk silver bronze
Decks Owned: 4159

Re: Search function broken

Unread post by Shade »

Yes, I noticed this starting yesterday as well. You can look through your own wish lists and deck list. But searching brings up nothing. A blank search only brings up ~50 decks, and you cant scroll beyond that.
Better to Burn Out than Fade Away...
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Looks like there is a temporary search engine that's using google for now: https://portfolio52.com/find
Screenshot_20231221_210625_Instagram.jpg
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Hollabrunner
Magician: Yes

Unread post by Hollabrunner »

Any idea when the search will work again?
Personally, I see no progress with the Google Find thing. Lousy table presentation, small thumbnails.
Can we get the old funtion back?
Interested in trading decks? Please contact me using this forum or via Portfolio52.
Thanks!
DeaconSlim

Unread post by DeaconSlim »

Hollabrunner wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:23 am Any idea when the search will work again?
Personally, I see no progress with the Google Find thing. Lousy table presentation, small thumbnails.
Can we get the old funtion back?
THIS!

I was wanting to look through the database for info on cards that were featured in some Xmas deck deals, but the "Temporary Deck Search" is terrible. Just as a random search, I entered "Table Players Vol. 12" because I knew it was a deck I had searched for before on the site, and it pulled up a google-type search, and when I clicked on IMAGES, I saw the deck in question, but clicking on it took me to the P52 entry for Table Players Vol. 2.

This is an unfortunate development, and I hope they are working hard to correct it because P52 is an invaluable resource for card enthusiasts.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

This was always the concern I had with P52 and the reason I never put my collection on there. Lack of an export function (to be able to save things offline) and dependency on someone to maintain was always going to be a weak spot.

It's been a great service to the community for a very long time and as I understand it the NPCCD decks were meant to fund its development and ongoing costs although no idea if it was ever sufficient to do so. And of course the last few years have now made that income source less reliable.

People's life circumstances change, and it's clear that Alex has had his own challenges, hopefully they return to some level of normality soon and things can get better but that might not ever happen.
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

Strag wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:23 am This was always the concern I had with P52 and the reason I never put my collection on there. Lack of an export function (to be able to save things offline) and dependency on someone to maintain was always going to be a weak spot.

It's been a great service to the community for a very long time and as I understand it the NPCCD decks were meant to fund its development and ongoing costs although no idea if it was ever sufficient to do so. And of course the last few years have now made that income source less reliable.

People's life circumstances change, and it's clear that Alex has had his own challenges, hopefully they return to some level of normality soon and things can get better but that might not ever happen.
A .csv or .xslx type of export function with the ability to select which fields to download would be incredible. I remember reading that this was possible in the early days of P52? It would be nice to have the images uploaded into something like a github repository too, that way if the site every crumbled, we'd have a safe backup somewhere for the community to use. Maybe I'm talking nonsense since I'm no techie, but there's definitely better ways to go about it than the current way it is now.
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Shade

Unread post by Shade »

Gethub is not a bad idea for the images and data, The whole WebApp source should be backed up as well, but that is up to Alex.

I found if you edit a page and re-save it, the deck will then start showing up in the Search Function. Tested by editing 17th Kingdom Avant Garde page and selecting the next deck ID in the HTML links 'https://portfolio52.com/deck/22000/edit'. :mrgreen:

So looks like it could be an easy fix by running a script to refresh or update the last edit date in the database for all of the decks. Depends on what kind of database is being used, most have this capability. Someone a bit more techie than I could probably do it via the HTML interface, if they knew how to execute the save button via script.
Shade

Unread post by Shade »

You find something interesting every day. The first two decks added to Portfolio52 where Arcane White & Arcane Black respectively. Then came Tan(#3) Plaid, Green(#4) Plaid & Eco(#5) decks, there is your trivia for today!
Shade

Unread post by Shade »

Got a python script with the Selenium webbrowser drivers able to automatically open and resave the Deck Pages. This refreshes the decks in what ever search list is on the backend. Really slow especially on decks with lots of high res pictures slowing down the page load. Probably a better way to do it but this is working.

Iterating thru the first 4000 decks, taking a couple hours. 26000 decks in total.

There are a few (more than a few) decks that do not have the required field filled out, so the autosave is failing. The folks that want those decks will have to re-save with the updated fields themselves.

Not perfect but hopefully it will be better than what we have now. :ugdance:
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Shade wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:18 pm Got a python script with the Selenium webbrowser drivers able to automatically open and resave the Deck Pages. This refreshes the decks in what ever search list is on the backend. Really slow especially on decks with lots of high res pictures slowing down the page load. Probably a better way to do it but this is working.

Iterating thru the first 4000 decks, taking a couple hours. 26000 decks in total.

There are a few (more than a few) decks that do not have the required field filled out, so the autosave is failing. The folks that want those decks will have to re-save with the updated fields themselves.

Not perfect but hopefully it will be better than what we have now. :ugdance:
Really impressive to find this hack. Well done.
Shade

Unread post by Shade »

All 26120 unique DeckIDs done, search should be semi-back to normal. Minus decks that do not have the required Producer, Manufacturer, or Deck Type fields filled out. Those were not able to be re-saved, and would need someone to find them and edit them. I did a few as I monitored the progress of 4-6 screens running in parallel. :geek:
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

Shade wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:25 pm All 26120 unique DeckIDs done, search should be semi-back to normal. [...]
You, Sir, are a bloody star; thank you!
flyers3003
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

Using Postman, I was able to do a search and find all of the decks in my collection that were missing fields. I went in an manually updated each of them (maybe 50-100). So, thanks to Shade's tremendous efforts + my tiny effort, I think all 4000+ decks in my collection should be returned in a search. I know there are still several other decks not being returned by search, but I'm not yet prepared to go through the manual process of updating each deck that is missing fields. I'm hoping that Alex, Nurul and company are able to fix the search before I have to.
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Well, it was working for a while, but I can't get anything to come up on recent decks or a search as of 1/3/24.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

Yes, it is gone again :|
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

It is back again - well some form of it. Not everything is there (eg tested for Orbit decks)
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

Looks like things are on the fritz again. 🙁

Could we get a shoutout to the PF52 admins? I've been trying for ages to get back the option to export my collection, and it seems the database is acting up again, messing with the search function.

This tool has so much potential, and there's a small but super active community around it. It's a bummer watching it fade away day by day because of these glitches.

I'd be more than happy to lend a hand wherever I can. I've scanned and added hundreds of decks myself, and I'm living in constant fear of losing everything since I can't really do much with the data other than listing it. This is particularly tough for fellow collectors who struggle to list my collection because of its lenght.

Thanks for any attention and help you can give!
Como CO

Unread post by Como CO »

Good Morning

There is an inexpensive way to have your collection online. Sign up for Flickr.
You get up to 1000 photos of card decks for free. Put two single decks in one photo and you can have up to 2000 decks.
A bridge deck has to use one photo.
After 1000 photos, you need Flickr Plus.

It works good, you can use albums and sort your decks. For example an album of Bicycle, an album for cruise lines , airlines, etc.
Como
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

I mean, someone is actively working on it, P52 just finished re-listing all the decks over the past couple days -- you could go to "Recent decks" and refresh every few minutes and see new, old decks pop up
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

hsbc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:48 pm I mean, someone is actively working on it, P52 just finished re-listing all the decks over the past couple days -- you could go to "Recent decks" and refresh every few minutes and see new, old decks pop up
Yeah, Nurul, who runs the P52 instagram account responded and said Alex was working with the web developer to resolve the issue.
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

hsbc wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:48 pm I mean, someone is actively working on it, P52 just finished re-listing all the decks over the past couple days -- you could go to "Recent decks" and refresh every few minutes and see new, old decks pop up
Hi! Yes, I know the reason

I think I've managed to tackle the search issue, at least for now, using a strategy inspired by @shade (with slightly fewer and more manually resources, took me three days!). 🕵️‍♂️

I've updated all decks except for those with some mandatory fields left blank in the form – couldn't save those, so they might not pop up in searches.

Also, noticed a bunch of recently added duplicate decks. My guess is, with the search acting up, folks assumed the deck didn't exist and re-added it.

Would love if someone with tool privileges could give things a once-over, clean up the duplicates, and maybe toss in an option for each user to download their collection. Just a little extra security, you know?

Thanks a bunch! 🙌
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

For me the search is still completely broken, returning no results. Tried clearing my cache just to be sure. Clicking on New Decks returns nothing as well.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
GandalfPC
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

same here, empty searches - though search for “bicycle” did manage to bring up the latest kaleidoscope deck..
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Yep, it's re-re-(re?)-broken again :lol: At the very least you can still see people's collections :uggrin:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

I relaunched the re-saving process again. I hope this time I can do it faster (last time I spend a three days)

It is working by now. Hopefully everything will be available tomorrow, but I am not sure how much time it will need to be broken again because I have no idea about the issue.
ShuffleUpandDeal

Unread post by ShuffleUpandDeal »

The whole site is current broken, not able to open it up for at least a week now, what gives?