Kevork's Introduction

Where are you from and what are your interests?
kevork
Collector: Yes
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Kevork's Introduction

Unread post by kevork »

I realized I never posted an introduction and after posting on Pip/Tuck, I figured it's better late than never to post in the community where I've spent so much time in over this past year-and-a-half, even if it's 1600 posts later :lol:

Hi everyone!

I started collecting back in March 2022 when I saw a video on Reddit of someone doing cardistry with a Generation One deck. I thought to myself how cool and satisfying the moves looked, so I started to look into what sort of cards there were out there. As someone who loves mythology, I was taken aback once I found the Anubis & Osiris V2 decks and delved deeper into the rabbit hole. A lot of you can probably relate to that initial experience of finding so many decks attractive, like a kid in a candy store. I had barely spent any money throughout the 2 year stretch of the pandemic, so having disposable savings made it harder for me to stop myself. Soon enough, I came across the likes of Lotrek, S17, Jocu, Alex's NPCCD series, etc. and witnessed the vast amount of beauty that had been created since the explosion of modern era card collecting stemming from around 2012. I also have an affinity for transformation and semi-transformation decks, spanning well beyond the modern era.

I began to go through the process of trying to pull back on the dopamine rush I would get from purchases. Space certainly has become an issue, and I tend to shy away from box sets or campaigns that do recolors, multiple gildings, or gatekeep certain decks behind a tier that requires a bunch of other decks to be purchased that I don't want. I now try to be more firm with myself to not back any decks that I consider a "maybe" and only go for ones I truly like, regardless of hype. There's a collector side of things and a business side of things, so I try not to fall for the plethora of business tactics that try to maximize sales, but my emotions do get the best of me at times. In certain circumstances, like with Jocu, I opt for the Titan tier because I show my support for the incredible work that is done, even if it means getting duplicates. Having multiples of the decks isn't always feasible, but I can end up helping newcomers should they need an Inverno IC acrylic set, for example. If it weren't for Anthony, Boschiero & Newton would not be in the playing card sphere, and now others are using them as well. I thank them for this as well.

As I began to acquire more and more decks in my collecting, I was finding it more achievable to create a complete collection of Lotrek's works and I started to make it a mission of mine to accomplish this feat. He's my favorite artist in terms of technical achievement and capabilities with hot foiling, so for those recently getting into the hobby, acquiring even one of these treasures can be truly something special to behold. I remember being astonished by the pictures of Golden Oath and frankly overpaid for the deck when it first popped up months after being in the hobby. Since then, I'd say my favorites shift, but tend to always include Silk, Arabesque, Crypt, Golden Oath, and Damask.

On November 21st, 2023, I acquired the last 3 remaining decks I needed in order to officially declare completion of all public works of Lotrek's (minus any prototypes that are either known or hidden away in the world). I continue to try to expand my collection to ephemera (uncut tucks, coins, boxes, etc.) and struggle to accept that a lot of the collectors at the time who may have these items are no longer in the community, making it even more difficult to acquire them. Lotrek is a very private man, and so the little glimpses into his process and the insights he offers are always a pleasure, and I strive to be an expert in his artworks.

My list of Lotrek decks can be found on UC here where I'm very active.

Happy to be here.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Bradius
Player: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: Kevork's Introduction

Unread post by Bradius »

Kevork is an amazing addition to our great community. I don't think I heard how you got started on your card collecting journey before. Thanks for sharing.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

kevork wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:38 pm I started collecting back in March 2022 when I saw a video on Reddit of someone doing cardistry with a Generation One deck.
That's actually really funny, I remember seeing that post and thinking it may attract a few new collectors :ugthink:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

A little late for a warm welcome now so, make yourself at home and pass me those tortillas.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Welcome to UC, Kevork! I'm sure you'll eventually fit right... oh, wait.

:lol:
This space intentionally left blank.
GandalfPC
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

I’m not sure about this Kevork character, quick search online found this:

IMG_8716.jpeg
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I guess there is a misinterpretation; it should mean: "male spell that attracts the caster to playing cards like you wouldn't believe"
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Well, someone is to blame for casting me into UC and now I must do my duty of spreading the lure of playing cards. Sorry to say vinegar and garlic won't help rid you of the effects muahahahaha
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

Salt it is then.

*drops a six ton block of salt on kevork*
GandalfPC
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

Oh oh - you missed him…

IMG_8838.jpeg
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

jasonx73it
White Whale: Blue Golden Oath

Unread post by jasonx73it »

Funnily enough it was Osiris and Anubis V1 that drew me definitely into the rabbit hole.