Notorious Gambling Frog by Stockholm 17

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Re: Notorious Gambling Frog by Stockholm 17

Unread post by vasta41 »

montenzi wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:47 pm
vasta41 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:48 pm But from day 3 on, they have been fantastic.
I think they use a different amount of oil, so in 3-7 days, an average USPCC deck becomes clumpy and dirty on the edges, while the WJPC deck starts performing better for up to 3-4 weeks of heavy usage.
I would agree with that assessment. I still prefer USPCC but I wouldn't give WJPC a second thought anymore.
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by EndersGame »

hsbc wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:18 pm
EndersGame wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:03 am I didn't get one of the Notorious Gambling Frog decks myself - does anyone know what stock was used for this? I'm guessing it was either the more durable 310gsm stock, or the softer 300gsm stock?

And has anything been mentioned anywhere about what finish/coating was used for these decks, and whether it is WJPC's most common "butter finish" which they seem to use for the majority of their decks?
From Lorenzo's Patreon:
printed by WJPC in China, as the Quartermaster, same paper stock.
I don't have the Quartermaster deck either - is that 300gsm or 310gsm stock? And what finish does it use?
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

EndersGame wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:51 pm I don't have the Quartermaster deck either - is that 300gsm or 310gsm stock? And what finish does it use?
They have two "finishes". It's all about how the cut cards using two machines. The old one is not perfect, and leaves some bevels (cheaper). The "butter finish" means better cutting on a new machine without bevels. :D They cut mini decks on the old machine. I printed No.7 winter edition on 300gsm German but I feel the difference vs. Notorious Gambling Frog. It might be a new paper or 310gsm. I asked my WJPC contact to clarify.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

Update from WJPC:

1. Both decks were printed on 300gsm with a butter finish.
2. They don't have 300/310 gsm paper from Germany anymore :D (supply problems)
3. They have started using 290gsm paper from Italy
4. They have some 300/310 paper for customers who paid a deposit to reserve this stock.
EndersGame

montenzi wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:37 pm Update from WJPC:

1. Both decks were printed on 300gsm with a butter finish.
2. They don't have 300/310 gsm paper from Germany anymore :D (supply problems)
3. They have started using 290gsm paper from Italy
4. They have some 300/310 paper for customers who paid a deposit to reserve this stock.
This is really good to be aware of. I liked the durability of the 310gsm German black core paper, but I love the softer handling of the 300gsm German black core paper, which I believe is perfect for cardistry. That explains why people are loving the Notorious Gambling Frog card stock as well, because it is the 300gsm stock which I love.

But if they no longer stock either of these and are switching to 290gsm paper from Italy, that could be a game changer. Have any decks been printed with that new card stock yet? It's going to be very interesting to see what that is like.

It could also be huge for Ben Jones and Elephant Playing Cards, because he has been printing all his decks with WJPC's 310gsm stock, because he wants the durability, given that it is perfect for card games and the mass market. Going to softer stock might not suit his needs. On the other hand, it could open up new possibilities for WJPC successfully producing quality decks for the cardistry market, which would be a great opportunity for them.
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

The orange version of this deck is now available on his website.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

EndersGame wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:40 am Going to softer stock might not suit his needs. On the other hand, it could open up new possibilities for WJPC successfully producing quality decks for the cardistry market, which would be a great opportunity for them.
I'm far from being a pro cardist nor at a level that would make me claim to be a cardist but I do handle my cards and I handle them almost daily. How softer decks would be good for cardistry is kinda beyond me. I mean, I get it, everybody wants to have the perfect feel straight out of the box then tuck it away forever and say these are great cards. But when these great cards turn to poop within a two week is that a good deck for cardistry? For me durability is what makes a deck a great cardistry deck. Every deck gets softer with handling - well except for EPCC's Diamond finish; what did they use for that? Adamantium? Haha.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
zoogenhiemer
White Whale: Damask Red

Unread post by zoogenhiemer »

I’ve just realized both versions have a little message on the bottom tuck flap. It’s a neat little addition to an already pretty cool deck.
82FCB333-2541-4D01-8EC6-2CD60CB898C2.jpeg
EndersGame

zoogenhiemer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:22 pm I’ve just realized both versions have a little message on the bottom tuck flap. It’s a neat little addition to an already pretty cool deck.
That is a very cool find! I cropped the image for you to make it a bit easier to read (for me anyway):

So how many other decks that we own have this, but we've just never checked to look? :D
--

alric

Unread post by alric »

Harvonsgard wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:00 am How softer decks would be good for cardistry is kinda beyond me. I mean, I get it, everybody wants to have the perfect feel straight out of the box then tuck it away forever and say these are great cards. But when these great cards turn to poop within a two week is that a good deck for cardistry? For me durability is what makes a deck a great cardistry deck. Every deck gets softer with handling - well except for EPCC's Diamond finish; what did they use for that? Adamantium? Haha.
Softer decks, in general, are NOT good for cardistry. The only people who think that may either be non-cardists or beginners. Two rules of thumb: you want to find the most slippery deck available, and you want to start with a stiff stock and then work backwards towards your preference. If a deck starts too slippery for your taste, then you can add fanning powder to control the slip to your liking. If a deck is too stiff, then you can break it in and tune it softer to your required amount of snap. You can always make a slippery or stiff deck less slippery or stiff, but you can never make a shit deck more slippery or stiffer. Stiffer decks tend to spring much better and hold up to manipulation longer. Having said that, at the end of the day it's all about personal preference. If your routines consist of primarily packet cuts, then stock stiffness may matter less to you. Most experienced cardists want to start with maximum slip and stiffness to give themselves the most options for a variety of styles and techniques.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Spot on.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
laitostarr777
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

EndersGame wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:30 pm
zoogenhiemer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:22 pm I’ve just realized both versions have a little message on the bottom tuck flap. It’s a neat little addition to an already pretty cool deck.
That is a very cool find! I cropped the image for you to make it a bit easier to read (for me anyway):

So how many other decks that we own have this, but we've just never checked to look? :D
I tried to do what said on the NGF Green bottom tuckflap, and it is neat self-working trick!

Also, would anyone be bothered with the slight add-on to the 2nd run of Notorious Gambling Frog green? The 1st one doesn't have a color on the box interior, but now it has. Would that make two seperate versions of Green?
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Would having an interior box with color and the first one without make it a new version? Among collectors? Are you kidding? If ANYTHING is different, it is noted and cataloged as a new version, variety, error....whatever. It can get insane. Among the rest of the world, most couldn't care less.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

But... But... um, any noticeable difference on the outsides of the tucks so that you can tell V1 and V2 apart without having to open them?

:o
This space intentionally left blank.
Reylek
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Reylek »

We now have both the Orange and Green decks in stock at Penguin, with Free shipping worldwide.

Orange:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/17703

Green:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/17057
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

rousselle wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:41 am But... But... um, any noticeable difference on the outsides of the tucks so that you can tell V1 and V2 apart without having to open them?

:o
I would fall back on what I TRY to do when I have a deck (typically a gilded deck) that can not be determined based on the tuck. In that case, I post a note to the outside wrap that explains that it is a gilded deck, or in this case either a v1 or v2 deck.
kasuma99
White Whale: Dynasty Black deck by Florey
Decks Owned: 666

Unread post by kasuma99 »

This is a sad story haha...
Really? i mean on a plastic sleeve really?

Frog.PNG
I mostly collect Stockholm17 and always looking for any S17 New/Opened decks/ accessories: Brick Boxes, prints, coins, Pins, ect... If you have some weird small thing and want to trade/sell please let me know! If you are also a fan and have free time to chat, feel free to send me a PM!
P52: https://portfolio52.com/profile/20009
Instargram: https://www.instagram.com/kasuma99/
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/kasuma9999
Up to date sale list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
laitostarr777
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

kasuma99 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:47 am This is a sad story haha...
Really? i mean on a plastic sleeve really?

Frog.PNG
WHOA, that’s a LOT of Frogs. Went on a frog hunting eh?
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
kasuma99
White Whale: Dynasty Black deck by Florey
Decks Owned: 666

Unread post by kasuma99 »

not mine haha, i took ascreen shot of a sale post i came across.
I mostly collect Stockholm17 and always looking for any S17 New/Opened decks/ accessories: Brick Boxes, prints, coins, Pins, ect... If you have some weird small thing and want to trade/sell please let me know! If you are also a fan and have free time to chat, feel free to send me a PM!
P52: https://portfolio52.com/profile/20009
Instargram: https://www.instagram.com/kasuma99/
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/kasuma9999
Up to date sale list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

are those even lorenzo sigs? i dont have the inclination to research it but they dont look like it to me. the different colors and being on the plastic sleeve seems a bit shoddy to me and would be surprising if lorenzo did that.
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Lorenzo hangs out with a couple dudes in Italy from time to time and signs a ton of decks for them. They then try to sell many of these decks to collectors.

Whether these are all genuine signatures in the picture, that would be hard to substantiate.

I particularly don't care for signatures. I find they take away from the art/presentation.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Signatures are welcome. I will sometimes get them on Kickstarter and elsewhere. They are nice to have. I just posted two I received from the Tattoo kickstarter. That said, I find them personal. I don't go out of my way to get signed decks.
EndersGame

I did an interview with Stockholm17 about his Notorious Gambling Frog decks for 52 Plus Joker's Card Culture magazine, and since it's relevant to this thread and may be of interest to collectors, I'm reposting it here.

Diamond Award winner Stockholm17 and his Notorious Gambling Frogs

Lorenzo Gaggiotti, better known to most of us as Stockholm17, is a rock-star in the world of modern playing cards. As evidence, you only need to consider the most recent Diamond Awards hosted by 52 Plus Joker in early October. He took out the number one spot in two elite categories: 2022 Deck of the Year Award, and 2022 Artist of the Year Award.

His highly praised "Eye of the Ocean Playing Cards" project is what earned him the coveted award for this year's Deck of the Year. And it was the accumulated designs he contributed to the playing card industry from July 2021 through June 2022 that earned him the prestigious award for Artist of the Year.

It just doesn't get any better than being crowned as top dog in these two categories by the world's most illustrious club for playing card collectors. Because the playing card community can bestow no greater honour. But it's not the first time Stockholm17 has been crowned with this level of success. He already took out the top honours in both categories in 2019, courtesy of his spectacular House of the Rising Spade deck.

Other industry accolades include the fact that his name is found three times on the list of Portfolio52 (previously United Cardists) Deck of the Year award winners. His Heretic deck won that award in 2015, and his House of the Rising Spade deck in 2018. The club deck he designed for 52 Plus Joker in 2021 won Portfolio52's Deck of the Year award in 2021, and this extravagant design was also declared as Kardify's 2021 Deck of the Year.

Clearly Stockholm17 is no stranger to success, and it's no wonder that he is one of the most sought after and popular designers in the playing card industry today. His journey to the pinnacle of playing card design began in Italy, the country of his birth. There his natural abilities as an artist were nurtured and encouraged by his mother, who was a painter. As he honed his skills as a professional graphic designer and illustrator, Sweden became his adoptive home, and he now lives in the city of Stockholm. He's now been designing playing cards professionally for about a decade now, and his reputation continues to grow with each new project that he produces.

The two major releases produced by Stockholm17 in the period of eligibility for 2022 Artist of the Year are quite well known: Eye of the Ocean, and Odd Fellows. Eye of the Ocean was a huge project that explores a naval theme of adventure, relating to the quest of a young 18th century woman to sail the high seas and find the island that her mother was searching for when she disappeared. Odd Fellows was created as the very first official deck for Portfolio52, the new parent company of United Cardists, and celebrates six brightly coloured, playful, and unusual characters, each with its own deck.

But in this article I want to take a look at one of the lesser known decks that was part of Stockholm17's output in the past year, namely his Notorious Gambling Frogs Playing Cards. I never thought I would use the words "gambling" and "frogs" in the same sentence. "Notorious" and "gambling" perhaps, but not in combination with amphibians. But it's that kind of originality that imaginative creators like Stockholm17 come up with.

The Interview

Let's learn more about this deck by talking to the man himself. I posed a number of questions to Stockholm17 about his Notorious Gambling Frogs project, and here's what he had to say about it:

What is the concept behind the Notorious Gambling Frog deck, and what was your goal with this project?

The idea is about designing and producing a standard deck, with a classic look, cheap (as much as I can) and easy to play with.

How did you come up with this interesting and unusual theme?

I was intrigued by Mark Twain's story "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County", and I did my "spin-off", if that is the appropriate term.

Of the different cards in this deck, which ones are you especially pleased about and why?

The Jokers, just because they are illustrated and depict the frog in three elegant poses.

What was your thinking with the design of the card backs?

Frogs eat dragonflies, right?

What aspects of this particular deck have proven most satisfying for you?

The main goal was to design a deck that is standard and at the same time "polished" with easy-to-read faces. When I say `polished' it is about the design of the court cards. I took the standard Bicycle court cards and remade them.

Standard Bicycle faces are rough. I know the majority do not see this because they are used to them, but there are graphic design aspects of those faces that bothered me and the Notorious Gambling Frog display a neat design in all its aspects. All the lines are neat, and the design is a little more modern. These are the standard courts I am going to use for these kinds of decks.

Readability was another important aspect, therefore I decided to have indices on the four corners with a font that is easy to read and elegant at the same time.

What was your goal in using all four indices, which is more common with European decks?

This choice costs me nothing and balances the design of all faces. On top of that, left-handed players can handle the cards in the way they prefer. It is an aesthetic and ergonomic choice.

The deck feels very custom, without departing too much from a traditional style, ensuring it is very suitable for using in card games. Was that deliberate, and part of your goal?

Yes, it feels custom and traditional at the same time. I wanted to make a deck that people are not afraid to use, and where they do not need to spend time understanding what cards they have in their hands. The price is also an important factor, and makes it more likely that people open the deck to use it.

There's a green and an orange version of this deck - why these two particular colours?

They are complementary colors. For the games with 2 decks it is a good color combination. Also, I wanted to do something different from blue and red.

How did you decide to use WJPC to print this deck?

For standard projects they are faster and cheaper. One of the goals was to sell it for as little as I could. However, mind that I am not Bicycle and my production runs do not go over 3000 decks on average.

What was your experience in working with WJPC like?

Pretty good, although if something is not standard or not in a catalog, it gets harder to make them understand a concept. They are also very reliable with the deadlines for standard products, and their production line does not struggle to understand how they have to pack a deck.

The card stock used for this deck (300gsm German stock) has been received very positively by collectors. What are your own impressions of it?

I like it very much, very close to the popular ones. Unfortunately this card stock may be discontinued and a slightly slimmer one (290gsm) replacing this option. WJPC sent a sample, and I have to say it handles very well and I am sure people will like it.

Is there anything else about this project that you'd like to share?

These decks have a little easter egg printed on the tuckbox, which is quite easy to find.

I am not planning a third color at the moment for this series, but I probably will produce a mini deck in 2023. I know the third joker frog will feel alone without its own deck, but for now two are enough.

Deck Overview

Thanks to Stockholm17 for sharing his thoughts about this deck. Now it's time for us to take a closer look at the Notorious Gambling Frog deck for ourselves. It comes in two main colours, green and orange, a combination that pairs well together. The tuck box features matt card stock with embossing, and showcases our frog protagonist in one of two poses, depending on the colour of the deck.

The reverse side of the box features the symmetrical two way design that will return on the attractive card backs. The body and wings of a dragonfly forms the main part of the design on each half of the card, along with smaller details. It's a design that suits the theme well, offering something unique and memorable, without distracting too much from playability.

Instead of the usual black and red for the pips and indices, these playing cards rely on a colour scheme of dark green and orange red. This does a good job of complementing the overall colour scheme of each deck, without being so novel that it would distract from gameplay when used in card games. The pips themselves are customized enough to make the deck feel unique, without looking so unusual that they become a focus of attention or distraction.

A successful formula has been applied to all aspects of design: combining the novel with the familiar, gearing everything to a balance between creativity and functionality, to ensure that this deck will be especially at home at the card table. This is also why the cards have indices in all four corners, to further enhance playability and practicality.

The court cards take their cue from traditional courts, but have had an overhaul in the usual Stockholm17 style, to give them more personality, and to ensure that they too have an original feel. The Aces all get special treatment, with a giant over-sized pip on each card. These in particular showcase a subtle design detail found throughout the deck that is easily overlooked: the canvas of the cards is off-white, and has a faint hash pattern as background that further adds to the unique look and feel.

The four extra cards included alongside our familiar 52 friends are three Jokers - each with its own frog personage - while the fourth card is either a 17 of Spades or a 17 of Hearts, depending on whether you have the green or the orange deck.

For those who appreciate a touch of luxury, a limited edition version of each deck is available with gilded edges, in either orange or green. It looks quite spectacular, and I was particularly pleased to notice that the gilding doesn't negatively impact the handling.

In fact, the handling of these playing cards, which were produced by WJPC in China using their popular German 300gsm stock, proved very satisfactory all round. These decks are further proof that the quality of playing cards coming out of China has improved dramatically in the last couple of years. It's no accident that we're seeing an increasing number of big creators turning to Chinese-based producers like WJPC and EPCC/LPCC to print their projects, in an affordable manner without big compromises to quality. The handling qualities of WJPC's German 300gsm stock are very pleasing, and in numerous playing card forums that I frequent, this card stock has been universally well received, and is often compared favourably with USPCC's stock, which is no small praise.

Final Thoughts

It's true that the Notorious Gambling Frog decks don't showcase the same level of creativity and novelty we've come to expect from most Stockholm17 projects. But that is very much deliberate, and by design. This deck was created with card players in mind, and is best enjoyed at the card table, over a game of Cribbage, Rummy, Hearts, or Spades. The fact that the two different coloured decks pair well together also makes it suitable for games that require two decks, like Canasta.

While the Notorious Gambling Frog may not dazzle as much as its big brother The Eye of the Ocean, its more practical and down-to-earth looks are exactly what give it appeal. It also demonstrates Stockholm17's versatility as a playing card designer, and illustrates that he's capable not just of producing a large earth-shattering project that blows people away, but also in coming up with a very practical deck that is still original and charming.

His frogs may be notorious gamblers, but purchasing a Stockholm17 deck is no gamble, and rarely disappoints. These frogs only help confirm Stockholm17's credentials as the worthy winner of this year's 2022 Diamond Award for Best Artist, and are certain to be enjoyed at any card table.

Where to get them? The Notorious Gambling Frog decks are available in green and orange.

Other ways to connect with Stockholm17: Official website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.

Author's note: I published this article at PlayingCardDecks here.
--

STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

i think i missed a lorenzo deck? he won awards in 2019 for House of the Rising Sun. i dont think i have ever seen anything about that deck =p.
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

STLBluesNut wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:56 am i think i missed a lorenzo deck? he won awards in 2019 for House of the Rising Sun. i dont think i have ever seen anything about that deck =p.
I'm pretty sure you could only find it in New Orleans.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

STLBluesNut wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:56 am i think i missed a lorenzo deck? he won awards in 2019 for House of the Rising Sun. i dont think i have ever seen anything about that deck =p.
I think you mean the House of the Rising Spade. Lorenzo reprinted the Cartomancer deck and it is available on his website.

https://www.stockholm17.cards/collectio ... artomancer

If you are wanted the v1 decks, send me a pm.

Edit: Sorry hsbc. I didn't mean to delete your post...

Sometimes I wonder if I actually bother to read something before I post... :oops:
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

For those who missed STLBlueNut joke and Timmargh's even better response, Ender had posted :
He already took out the top honours in both categories in 2019, courtesy of his spectacular House of the Rising Sun deck.
Check out wikipedia on House of the Rising Sun: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House ... Rising_Sun
EndersGame

Eric Lee wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:21 am For those who missed STLBlueNut joke and Timmargh's even better response, Ender had posted :
He already took out the top honours in both categories in 2019, courtesy of his spectacular House of the Rising Sun deck.
Check out wikipedia on House of the Rising Sun: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House ... Rising_Sun
Ha, good catch, that's my mistake, indeed! Edit and fix made. My apologies for causing any confusion.

I got it right the second time I mentioned it. But I guess that the title of that classic song is just burned in mind, and as a result I sometimes type it by mistake! :)
--

Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Oh I know. It sticks into the mind so much, that I keep catching myself calling it Rising Sun instead!
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J