2020 'Deck of the Year' Awards - UC x P52

Featuring our favourite decks including winners of the Decks Of The Year awards and the Annual United Cardists Decks
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Re: 2020 'Deck of the Year' Awards - UC x P52

Unread post by PipChick »

Hi y'all!

I'm just going over and finalizing sponsors and giveaway prizes... I still need some time to get it all together but let me just say WOW! This year has been beyond amazing and the outpour of support in making this all happen is beyond what words could ever express 🥰 thank you all for your amazing participation, donations, support and love in allow us to keep bringing this event to y'all and making it bigger and better than ever with each passing year! You all are amazing and I appreciate tf outta each and every one of you card-dorks lol 😜😘💕

Updates coming soon! Hang tight as there's still sooooo much work left to be done and I'm legit runnin' on nothin' but caffeine to get it all together for y'all!

(extra little hype I'm just too excited not to share but still has yet to be announced; we're working hard to organize this year's giveaway to be a live YT event so everyone can join and share the excitement together... how cool is that gunna be! Stay tuned for more details!)
MSimonart

Unread post by MSimonart »

I love the idea of having the giveaway being streamed live online! I know you already have immense work but that would be really great to implement :D
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I'll donate the following half-brick

Modern Idols Fear
Modern Idols Hope
Transsiberian Express English Edition
Transsiberian Express Russian Edition
White Lions Series A Blue
Vito Timmel's Giochi di Corte

I'd appreciate if the winner chips in to cover, or at least partly cover, the shipping cost.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
shkorc

Unread post by shkorc »

No results yet?

Can't find any info on P52 page :S
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

I saw the list of winners for best tuck on P52's instagram page.
PipChick

Guys! I'm writing them in now lol! Just give me another few mins lol

We're rollin' out announcments of the Award winners all throughout this week; right now, I'm announcing the best Tuck and will later be coming back to update for the best Aces, best Pips, Best Jokers and Best Gaffs/Extras - stay tuned!

EDIT: 'Best Tuck' DOTY Award Winners are up! (I just couldn't get the damn pics to link up... I'm sorry!)

I'll be back later to announce the 'Best Aces' and 'Best Pips' in T-minus 2hrs :ugthink: :ugdance:
shkorc

Unread post by shkorc »

Thanks PipChick :)

No idea why a staggered reveal is necessary though? And why the results are nowhere on the P52 page?

Cheers
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

shkorc wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 am Thanks PipChick :)

No idea why a staggered reveal is necessary though? And why the results are nowhere on the P52 page?

Cheers
I'm guessing it's either a staggered reveal, or it's everything at once but only when everything is done (ie when the last category of the staggered reveal would be done). So why not reveal them as they're ready rather than sitting on the finished ones until everything is done?

That said, I can't really find the results anywhere :oops:

EDIT: Thanks, Strag. I was scouring the P52 site :ugthink:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Results (tuck case only) are in the 7th post of this thread. That said, maybe a new pinned thread with the award winners?
brownsl

Unread post by brownsl »

From my perspective, lots of surprising winners. Quite stunned that Keymaster tarot got beat out by Cabinetarium for best non-poker deck. The voters have spoken though and a large factor could be lots more people have the Cabinetarium deck than Keymaster.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Where are you getting the winners? And yes, I am stunned that Keymaster did not win best non-poker deck. That seemed like a no-brainer to me. It seems like we are getting a lot of people voting that are not active on UC forums. I am not complaining though. I think it is good we hear from a wider range of collectors.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
brownsl

Unread post by brownsl »

I am seeing them on P52's instagram.
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

Bradius wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:57 am Where are you getting the winners? And yes, I am stunned that Keymaster did not win best non-poker deck. That seemed like a no-brainer to me. It seems like we are getting a lot of people voting that are not active on UC forums. I am not complaining though. I think it is good we hear from a wider range of collectors.
https://www.instagram.com/portfolio_52/?hl=en he's posting winners.
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
PipChick

Honestly guys, I'm in a mad rush atm and I'm very sorry... we're *still* finalizing last minute giveaway sponsors and it's stressful af - hold tight please!
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

brownsl wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:07 am From my perspective, lots of surprising winners. Quite stunned that Keymaster tarot got beat out by Cabinetarium for best non-poker deck. The voters have spoken though and a large factor could be lots more people have the Cabinetarium deck than Keymaster.
Personally not a fan of Tarot decks and I only ever buy them for my wife.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

2cents before it's too late :D as only half of the winners were announced. As you may know, I was always skeptical about DOTY (and I don't care about the results). But now I am concerned (and still skeptical). It's no longer UC DOTY, and it's sad. Bring it back to UC! It must be UC members-only voting. I don't think UC needs such a big event as it's a small community. Otherwise, results are very vulnerable as simple promotion strategies work well in this setup (more surprises to come).

I respect what @PipChick did! No questions!

p.s. No mention of Lotrek's decks is LOL, 2nd place for Keymaster is LOL, 1st place for Dark Kingdom Joker is LOL, etc.
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

Cross posting this from Reddit:

TONIGHT Make sure to tune into the 2020 Deck Of The Year FINALE and GIVEAWAY Winner Selection! We are so excited to be hosting this momentous occasion, present by Alex Chin of Portfolio52 and Pipchickadee from United Cardists! Portfolio52 has brought a whole new level of technology to the community event this year, helping UnitedCardists address some of the pain points with the voting in previous years, and the giveaway selection is no exception. This great partnership has led to an even more amazing DOTY experience for everyone!

Join us to the most anticipated part of the whole event, the selection of the winners for the 2020 Deck Of The Year giveaways, tonight at 6PM EST!

YouTube: Portfolio52 Presents: 2020 Deck Of The Year LIVE Giveaway! https://youtu.be/Qc7ucvuRaTE

Facebook: Portfolio52 Presents: 2020 Deck Of The Year LIVE Giveaway! https://www.facebook.com/DeckinAroundShow/live_videos/

Twitch: Deckin' Around https://www.twitch.tv/DeckinAround
shkorc

Unread post by shkorc »

montenzi wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:42 pm 2cents before it's too late :D as only half of the winners were announced. As you may know, I was always skeptical about DOTY (and I don't care about the results). But now I am concerned (and still skeptical). It's no longer UC DOTY, and it's sad. Bring it back to UC! It must be UC members-only voting. I don't think UC needs such a big event as it's a small community. Otherwise, results are very vulnerable as simple promotion strategies work well in this setup (more surprises to come).

p.s. No mention of Lotrek's decks is LOL, 2nd place for Keymaster is LOL, 1st place for Dark Kingdom Joker is LOL, etc.
+1 from me as well

Feels like P52 shilling their Instagram.

PS: I have the Dark Kingdom deck, but didn't you see the Crypt Jokers, no contest at all. The UC2019 No. 7 Joker wasn't that bad either. :mrgreen:
PipChick

shkorc wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:58 pm
montenzi wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:42 pm 2cents before it's too late :D as only half of the winners were announced. As you may know, I was always skeptical about DOTY (and I don't care about the results). But now I am concerned (and still skeptical). It's no longer UC DOTY, and it's sad. Bring it back to UC! It must be UC members-only voting. I don't think UC needs such a big event as it's a small community. Otherwise, results are very vulnerable as simple promotion strategies work well in this setup (more surprises to come).

+1 from me as well

Feels like P52 shilling their Instagram.

PS: I have the Dark Kingdom deck, but didn't you see the Crypt Jokers, no contest at all. The UC2019 No. 7 Joker wasn't that bad either. :mrgreen:
I can most certainly assure you that it's not - I do not and never have been given access to *any* of the United Cardists social media accounts despite several attempts at inquire of it specifically for promotion of this event and of the literally HUNDREDS of DOTY graphics I poured countless hours into making up over the past 3 years and tagging and sending over, Mike has only ever reposted 3 (none for this year)... I am the one posting on the P52 account because I have no official platform to do so for UC... this is what's sad... :? I think it reflects better being promoted on the P52 accounts as a community event rather than just on my *own personal* account which I've sacrificed for UC and sorta for nothin' too since it never even makes it onto the *actual* "official" UC account...
PipChick

montenzi wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:42 pmp.s. No mention of Lotrek's decks is LOL, 2nd place for Keymaster is LOL, 1st place for Dark Kingdom Joker is LOL, etc.
I think the reason there's very little mention of Lotrek's decks is, well, most were modified standards and so few have actually seen Crypt... it definitely is interesting tho...
brownsl

Unread post by brownsl »

I would be curious to know the total number of votes for the categories and how it compares to previous years. I suspect it is higher.

I appreciate the amount of effort it takes to coordinate the awards.
PipChick

brownsl wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:21 pm I would be curious to know the total number of votes for the categories and how it compares to previous years. I suspect it is higher.

I appreciate the amount of effort it takes to coordinate the awards.
Yea! That's something I've always wanted to do was to pie-chart the breakdown of votes but it was aways just so soooo much work; but actually, with the voting system and the help from Alex, we're finally gunna be able to make up some sweet info-graphics! - there was some really interesting developments (like who knew the Joker category was among THE most popular... :? :ugthink: ) Just wait til we get those together too!

Guys, I'm honestly so so tired and beyond stressed... I know you want everything and all at once but please be understanding... this year was like DOTYs on steroids and I can't tell you the last time I had a full night's sleep coordinating this all... it's been... a lot...
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

I think having Cabinetarium under non-poker decks was very wrong :lol: An art deck with regular suits is still a poker deck... non-poker would be tarot, oracle, or even cardistry decks with no faces...
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
GandalfTheWhite
Decks Owned: 56

Unread post by GandalfTheWhite »

@PipChick How are the giveaway winners contacted?
PipChick

GandalfTheWhite wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:39 pm @PipChick How are the giveaway winners contacted?
we'll be getting an official list together as soon as we can and be reaching out to winning recipients through UC and/or P52 accounts which is nice because now we have 2 means of getting ahold of people so we can be sure to get these prizes out to people! It's past 3:30am for me now so please be patient; I'mma update the winners here now and then hopefully get a bit of sleep.
PipChick

hsbc wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:07 pm I think having Cabinetarium under non-poker decks was very wrong :lol: An art deck with regular suits is still a poker deck... non-poker would be tarot, oracle, or even cardistry decks with no faces...
Yea, this category is always so tricky and we get so few decks nominated in it because we really don't have much representation from the tarot/oracle community. I definitealy agree that cardistry decks with no faces belong in there... but art decks sorta don't fall into any category and so we thought the best way to determine whether or not a deck falls into eligibility would be based on the contents of the faces; if the indicies are covered, are you able to determine whether the card is a court or a value card? Are you even able to determine it's suit? Cabinetarium was suuuper tricky but, a majority of the cards in the deck are indistinguishable in suit, value or rank and that's why it was placed into this category. Mind you that any deck put in this category is automatically ineligible for any other category regarding the faces (ie. ace/ jokers/extras/pips/courts). Again, the Cabinetarium deck was a huge one this year but it was also the deck that was most difficult to determine exactly where it fits in but we feel that 'Best Non-Poker' was most appropriate. How do you think we should address this deck or others like it for future DOTYs? There are far too few exclusively 'art decks' to warrent it's own category... :?
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

PipChick wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:35 pm Yea, this category is always so tricky and we get so few decks nominated in it because we really don't have much representation from the tarot/oracle community. I definitealy agree that cardistry decks with no faces belong in there... but art decks sorta don't fall into any category and so we thought the best way to determine whether or not a deck falls into eligibility would be based on the contents of the faces; if the indicies are covered, are you able to determine whether the card is a court or a value card? Are you even able to determine it's suit? Cabinetarium was suuuper tricky but, a majority of the cards in the deck are indistinguishable in suit, value or rank and that's why it was placed into this category. Mind you that any deck put in this category is automatically ineligible for any other category regarding the faces (ie. ace/ jokers/extras/pips/courts). Again, the Cabinetarium deck was a huge one this year but it was also the deck that was most difficult to determine exactly where it fits in but we feel that 'Best Non-Poker' was most appropriate. How do you think we should address this deck or others like it for future DOTYs? There are far too few exclusively 'art decks' to warrent it's own category... :?
It seems to be the rule would be simple: can you play a card game with the cards? No = non-poker deck :D Everything else is a poker deck, no matter how hard the cards are to read. Having a rule of "can you tell without indices" is..... I mean, that's the entire point of having an index on a card :ugthink: :ugthink: I'd even argue that many decks have no indication of suit or rank on the court cards except for the index!

I might be missing something but how is Cabinetarium "indistinguishable in suit, value or rank"??? :? :? In all the pictures I've seen the cards pretty clearly have indices with pips and suits? They're not even hard to see??

"Mind you that any deck put in this category is automatically ineligible for any other category regarding the faces (ie. ace/ jokers/extras/pips/courts)" -- decks in the non-poker category shouldn't even have most of these at all :lol:

And finally a small category isn't inherently bad!
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
PipChick

hsbc wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:06 pm
PipChick wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:35 pm Yea, this category is always so tricky and we get so few decks nominated in it because we really don't have much representation from the tarot/oracle community. I definitealy agree that cardistry decks with no faces belong in there... but art decks sorta don't fall into any category and so we thought the best way to determine whether or not a deck falls into eligibility would be based on the contents of the faces; if the indicies are covered, are you able to determine whether the card is a court or a value card? Are you even able to determine it's suit? Cabinetarium was suuuper tricky but, a majority of the cards in the deck are indistinguishable in suit, value or rank and that's why it was placed into this category. Mind you that any deck put in this category is automatically ineligible for any other category regarding the faces (ie. ace/ jokers/extras/pips/courts). Again, the Cabinetarium deck was a huge one this year but it was also the deck that was most difficult to determine exactly where it fits in but we feel that 'Best Non-Poker' was most appropriate. How do you think we should address this deck or others like it for future DOTYs? There are far too few exclusively 'art decks' to warrent it's own category... :?
It seems to be the rule would be simple: can you play a card game with the cards? No = non-poker deck :D Everything else is a poker deck, no matter how hard the cards are to read. Having a rule of "can you tell without indices" is..... I mean, that's the entire point of having an index on a card :ugthink: :ugthink: I'd even argue that many decks have no indication of suit or rank on the court cards except for the index!

I might be missing something but how is Cabinetarium "indistinguishable in suit, value or rank"??? :? :? In all the pictures I've seen the cards pretty clearly have indices with pips and suits? They're not even hard to see??

"Mind you that any deck put in this category is automatically ineligible for any other category regarding the faces (ie. ace/ jokers/extras/pips/courts)" -- decks in the non-poker category shouldn't even have most of these at all :lol:

And finally a small category isn't inherently bad!

*sigh* I hate having to constantly fight people on this category... people who think some decks derserve to be in... others who think some decks should be out... it's seriously the vain of my exsistance - yes the indicies are there but just cuz you slap indicies on something also shouldn't be what automatically qualifies it as a poker deck too, should it? Look, *no one* is going to be using cabinetarium in gameplay... it's impractical at best and a majority of the cards are just simply art... just cuz you say it's a king or a 2 of hearts doesn't just automatically make it so or is that just hogwash? make all the faces blank and slap on some indicies and that's a poker deck?

Also, please give us feedback on how you think we should be addressing this... having a small category is an issue as it diminishes the value of the other categories and the Awards as a whole when a handful of decks are automatically crowned DOTY winners just cuz there wasn't any other decks that fit in such a niche and limited category... Like how many art decks have we seen this year? Look, I agree that Cabinetarium was definitely a stretch but, as I already stated, it was the most appropriate Award category considering that it's in that blurry-lined gray area and it makes me sad that there weren't more nominations of non-poker decks but I think that simply reflects a lack of representation of tarot collectors here at UC
PipChick

okay... quarter to 5am here... award categories are updated to reflect the currently announced DOTY Award winners... more will come - breaking it up is more for my own sanity and time management than anything else... please, I am begging you to be patient...
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Thanks so much for all your work on this!!! :D :D
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J