Should a Kickstarter be tied to a business or is it OK to keep things personal?

Anything and everything related to PLAYING CARD projects on crowdfunding sites EXCEPT the threads about specific projects, which go in "New & Custom Decks"
Forum rules
Kickstarter "Hall of Shame" here: http://www.unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BaconWise
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Should a Kickstarter be tied to a business or is it OK to keep things personal?

Unread post by BaconWise »

I am flirting with a campaign of my own and have heard a couple of different responses from some creators. I am curious if I need to establish a business license and run things through that business, including opening a business checking account and all that jazz. OR, is it fine to just tie yourself to the project and run everything through your personal accounts? Obviously, the latter is the easier route, but I wonder what the tax implications could be.

Thank you for any insight!
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Should a Kickstarter be tied to a business or is it OK to keep things personal?

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

BaconWise wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:20 am I am flirting with a campaign of my own and have heard a couple of different responses from some creators. I am curious if I need to establish a business license and run things through that business, including opening a business checking account and all that jazz. OR, is it fine to just tie yourself to the project and run everything through your personal accounts? Obviously, the latter is the easier route, but I wonder what the tax implications could be.

Thank you for any insight!
Hey Baconwise,

I’ve been doing this for about 8 years now, and I don’t have a business license. Other states have different laws, but in Indiana it’s fine to do a small personal business as a DBA (doing business as....). It all depends on your state of residence, I think.

Thanks, Randy