Custom Thirdway Industries Coin Display!

When you want something done right, gotta do it yourself!
Adonael

Custom Thirdway Industries Coin Display!

Unread post by Adonael »

Over the last few months I have become deeply engrossed in 3D modelling and printing and hardly even check in on this hobby anymore lol (although the email newsletters from creators covers everything important like new releases) but about a week ago Gio posted a photo on instagram of a single coin display he had made and I was inspired to do something similar, loosely based on the Idol of Consumerism from the Modern Idols decks.

I've only just started actually printing things about 2 weeks ago so all the finishing/painting etc is new to me and really rough in execution but here we are it's good enough for me, weighs about 1.3kg so it feels as solid as it looks too. The magic of 3D printing is that this took 4 days to go from idea to the reality you see below! Too bad I only have one coin so far :lol:
20200506_160902a.jpg
20200506_160933a.jpg
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Re: Custom Thirdway Industries Coin Display!

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Would look better without the nipples that hold the coins in place imo. Looks like the angle of the display would be enough to make the coins stay. Still a good job.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Bradius
Collector: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: Custom Thirdway Industries Coin Display! (wap)

Unread post by Bradius »

It looks brilliant. Great job and thanks for sharing.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

Harvonsgard wrote:Would look better without the nipples that hold the coins in place imo. Looks like the angle of the display would be enough to make the coins stay. Still a good job.
TWI cards and coins without the nipples - what are you talking about? [emoji23]
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

That is brilliant; nicely done.
~
Searching for: Cartes Indiennes (green back)

Collection (inc. trade list)
Photos (UC) / Website
Social links etc.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Magic Tapp wrote:
Harvonsgard wrote:Would look better without the nipples that hold the coins in place imo. Looks like the angle of the display would be enough to make the coins stay. Still a good job.
TWI cards and coins without the nipples - what are you talking about? [emoji23]
LOL... my bad.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

Thanks all, nipples lol, in this case they would be called tabs and I personally like them. Sure the coins would stay in as is part of the design, however not if it's bumped hard enough (probably wouldn't take much) which is why they are there so coins don't go rolling everywhere.
Thedissident001

Unread post by Thedissident001 »

Looks great Adonael. Can I ask what software you are using out of interest. I've been looking at a new hobby and this is looking very interesting.
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

I'm using ZBrush, not really for beginners since it's so expensive but I didn't want to have to learn a new program later if I upgraded, and it's been well worth it. It's definitely not meant to be used for functional things which need specific measurements etc but I have a few tricks for that. Most people start with Blender because it is free while still very powerful, or a CAD program like Fusion 360 for less organic more mechanical shapes with measurements.