[BUYERS' GUIDE] Monarchs by Theory 11

Comprehensive deck lists for selected artists, brands and companies.
laitostarr777
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks
Decks Owned: 200

Re: [BUYERS' GUIDE] Monarchs by Theory 11

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

laitostarr777 wrote:General note for those who decides to open up the decks:
The newer versions of the Monarchs doesn't have a double backer anymore. I don't know why Theory11 decides to pull that off from the decks, and it is quite a shame.
Creating a double backer from two ad cards is pointless, as it becomes one thicker card in the deck
So the VP of operations of Theory11, Lyle Borders - got in touch with me about this matter, and this is what he has to say:
Monarchs stopped containing double-back cards several years ago - probably 4 or 5 years. This goes for most decks that we sell to a wide audience. We do very few double-back cards these days. While a double-backer can be moderately helpful to magician customers in some instances, it is extremely confusing (and a bit of a spoiler) to most of our other customers. Unless you are a magician, that card is at best not helpful, and at worst a glimpse into how some tricks work. It is is also often considered a defect by those not in the know. If you are a magician, double-backers are super easy to make - perhaps the easiest gaff card you can make with card splitting skills.

No splitting skills? Two ad cards glued front to front will do in a pinch. Or, if you want to learn an insanely valuable skill, Blake Vogt teaches how to split cards in a couple videos on The Marketplace. Knowing the material in those videos will let you make as many double-back gimmicks as you want (and many other kinds of gimmicks.

https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/bl ... peed-split
https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/bl ... 2-assembly

When somebody asked about why not Theory11 created gaff decks just like how Ellusionist came up with one for Black Tiger and Ghost, this is what he has to say in his opinion:
1. He thinks you can easily create gaff cards by combining other cards - double backer, two colors, double face.
2. Theory11 had designed lots of decks, that it is not practical to create gaff cards for certain decks. Sure, Theory11 dubbed Monarchs as their best playing cards, but others would prefer Artisans or Tycoons

My thoughts on his opinions:
1. Well, he suggests that we should buy loads of the same deck, uses one or two decks and destroy all the cards to create your own gaff cards
2. Look at Ellusionist, they also designed a lot of decks, and still they provide gaff deck for some of their iconic playing cards (although that was years ago, and now its either out of stock or in clearance sale). Comparing the decks of Ellusionist and Theory11, at least Ellusionist new decks, they imply secret markings nor specific stack, unlike Theory11 that mainly focuses on beauty of the tuckcase and the design (the tuckcase is so beautiful and intricate, while the courtcards are just plain simple)
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

laitostarr777 wrote: My thoughts on his opinions:
1. Well, he suggests that we should buy loads of the same deck, uses one or two decks and destroy all the cards to create your own gaff cards
Where does he say that? I'm pretty sure he means us to use the ad cards.
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

If you have the right skills/tools, you are not destroying the cards. But yah, If you wanna create gaff cards like double facers, you have to buy two decks (not loads of! - Exeption if you wanna build certain forcing decks) to keep one functional and another one to build the gaffs. Which, time not accounted, is still cheaper than most gaff decks alone.
For the double backer being too thick if you glue two ad cards together might be correct (I don't see it though since double/triple lifts aren't recognized by spectators, if you are good at them) if you hand the double backer to the spectator, but who does that?

I have to admit that I really like the thought to force magicians to learn some arts & crafts regarding building gaff cards. Seeing that a lot of non-magicians buy decks these days, I'm getting the part to not reveal gaff cards to a broud audience as well.

Dunno if it is just a lazy excuse by the VP of TXI or if it is the representation of genuine thoughts, but it definetly is plausible and makes sense to me.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
laitostarr777

PiazzaDelivery wrote:
laitostarr777 wrote: My thoughts on his opinions:
Where does he say that? I'm pretty sure he means us to use the ad cards.
Yes we can use the ad cards, though for the double backers. If we want to create double face cards, that means we gotta use the remaining of the cards, destory them
laitostarr777

Harvonsgard wrote:If you have the right skills/tools, you are not destroying the cards. But yah, If you wanna create gaff cards like double facers, you have to buy two decks (not loads of! - Exeption if you wanna build certain forcing decks) to keep one functional and another one to build the gaffs. Which, time not accounted, is still cheaper than most gaff decks alone.
For the double backer being too thick if you glue two ad cards together might be correct (I don't see it though since double/triple lifts aren't recognized by spectators, if you are good at them) if you hand the double backer to the spectator, but who does that?

I have to admit that I really like the thought to force magicians to learn some arts & crafts regarding building gaff cards. Seeing that a lot of non-magicians buy decks these days, I'm getting the part to not reveal gaff cards to a broud audience as well.

Dunno if it is just a lazy excuse by the VP of TXI or if it is the representation of genuine thoughts, but it definetly is plausible and makes sense to me.
Last time I tried to seperate the ad cards, it fails miserably. The glue is just so strong, and cardstock is fragile

Now I wish i had bought a lot of Monarchs back then, before Theory11 decides to take the double backer off the decks
Osredkar
White Whale: Pre-Release Monarch Deck
Decks Owned: 2100

Unread post by Osredkar »

I think we have a new variant of the reds to add to the list. Recently I bought a deck and it had a gold dotted pull tab instead of a thin solid gold pull as v4 has. I just purchased these last week from the Theory11 site.
I have included pictures below:
Attachments
Face of the deck
Face of the deck
Left side when looking at face
Left side when looking at face
Back
Back
Right side when looking at face.
Right side when looking at face.
Bottom
Bottom