Wrongly deleted decks

General discussion about the Playing Card Database.
Announcements and updates wil lalso be posted here.

Moderator: Playing Card DB Mod

max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Wrongly deleted decks

Unread post by max »

Hello,

Along last months I am trying to do a huge effort adding many decks from my collection to the existing ones. That means not only taking those already uploaded but scan and upload many more. Thanks to my contributor profile, I can even improve the existing data of some decks (specialty those introduced long time ago without required fields) according a more accurate information I have. Nevertheless, I have found some of my recent decks have been deleted for being considered duplicated. It is perfectly possible, due to the limitations of the search engine, that I cannot find a specific deck and then wrongly add it (For example, the Murphys Varnish standard red deck was, unlike all the other in the collection, written as M.V. so I assumed it wasn't introduced because the other two in the same set were also missing in PF52) , but sometimes I discover the deck that has been deleted is not the same as the one is refereed in the link.

For example, I recently added the display deck sent by Home run of one of the Saladee's Weathered deck (https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/4157/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

The display deck is different because it is not numbered in the seal. Today I have found someone deleted the deck I scanned and uploaded telling it is duplicated. The problem is that I have no way to discuss nor explain the reason for that. I have to assume the one is deleting my deck knows more than myself about it, something that is, at least, questionable (specially because I have both in my hands when I am scanning the missing one).

For that reason, I wonder if there is any way to, firstly, receive a notification of a dispute about a deck before seeing it deleted. Secondly, I would like to know if the one deleting my decks is always the same person so I can send a message and clarify it. Finally, I should have a way to restore the deck if it has been deleted by mistake (everyone can be wrong and make a mistake, not only myself). The scanning job is hard and seeing how a deck disappears is a bit frustrating.

Thanks

Max
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Wrongly deleted decks

Unread post by ecNate »

Did you have a link to the deck that was removed? Most users don't have access to delete decks directly, just mark them as duplicate for deletion (search "duplicate" or "delete"). I know I haven't done a purge in a VERY long time, but always give people plenty of time to correct first. In addition, if a deck being marked for deletion because it was added as duplicate, then if it contains more or better photos than existing older deck then those should be migrated to the older deck first.

Here's an example of a deck that was properly marked so all know what it's considered a duplicate of to add to collection instead and also to make any final comparisons to correct incorrectly marked ones.

https://www.portfolio52.com/deck/8368/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for the troubles, one of the problems with crowd sourced/managed data. :(
Hollabrunner
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Hollabrunner »

Hi there,

I face the same situation here: i added a deck, being sure it's not already in the database, but it was marked as duplicate.
Here's the link: https://portfolio52.com/deck/9291/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In fact, there is a "Paper King" deck already in the DB. My addition was in regard of the "Luxury Edition" which has slightly different coloured faces and a VERY different box. I added - in advance - pics from box and selected cards.
I highly recommend that a deletion is preceded by a discussion about the "why" it should be deleted. It's no fun to scan decks, add them and being kicked out by anonymously entered deletions.
Furthermore, and as a minimum measure: the user who has initiated the deletion should be published in the request so we can step into discussion.

Thanks and regards
Gerhard
Interested in trading decks? Please contact me using this forum or via Portfolio52.
Thanks!
kem-collector

Unread post by kem-collector »

I've noticed the same thing as the OP. I am not listed as a contributor, but I have uploaded MANY decks into P52. The exp-value thing says I have over 30K exp, whatever that means. Anyway, the same thing happened to a deck I submitted yesterday. I suddenly got the KS deck from Bicycle Deep Forest in the mail - I was not expecting it. I checked P52 and it was not there. So I pulled out the scanner, hooked it all up, scanned front, back, bottom and went to the KS page to collect all the information and add it to the entry.

I look today and it is marked as a duplicate. I search for "deep forest" and find a new entry, missing half the information. Look, I don't care about the exp or the number-count of decks I or anyone uploads, but if I am going to take the time to create the images and collect the information to inject it in to the DB just so someone can come behind me, delete my work and replace it with subpar entry information, I'll save myself the hassle and just stop adding decks.

That crap needs a better process.
flyers3003
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

kem-collector wrote:I've noticed the same thing as the OP. I am not listed as a contributor, but I have uploaded MANY decks into P52. The exp-value thing says I have over 30K exp, whatever that means. Anyway, the same thing happened to a deck I submitted yesterday. I suddenly got the KS deck from Bicycle Deep Forest in the mail - I was not expecting it. I checked P52 and it was not there. So I pulled out the scanner, hooked it all up, scanned front, back, bottom and went to the KS page to collect all the information and add it to the entry.

I look today and it is marked as a duplicate. I search for "deep forest" and find a new entry, missing half the information. Look, I don't care about the exp or the number-count of decks I or anyone uploads, but if I am going to take the time to create the images and collect the information to inject it in to the DB just so someone can come behind me, delete my work and replace it with subpar entry information, I'll save myself the hassle and just stop adding decks.

That crap needs a better process.
I agree that your deck should've been the one kept and the newer one marked duplicate. I have the ability to mark decks as duplicate and did so on the most recent 20/20 Standard Edition, but I'm not sure who marked the Deep Forest edition. I understand the frustration of many who have contributed to see their decks marked duplicate. At the same time it is very frustrating for those of us maintaining the database to see people not take any time to search and put decks in with little to no effort (crappy pictures, no information, etc.). I think there are a few people out there who have the ability to add decks without needing approval who should have that ability revoked, but I don't have the ability/information to be able to do so. To whoever marked the Deep Forest deck as a duplicate, I really believe that we should make it a policy to keep the older entry and mark the newer entry as the duplicate - unless the older entry was missing significant information, otherwise people will continue to be lazy in their efforts to search for an existing entry.
flyers3003
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

kem-collector, I went back and looked at the original listing that you entered. I have to ask if, as part of your entry, you entered 'a' for Company, Card Size and Printer?
kem-collector

Unread post by kem-collector »

flyers3003 wrote:kem-collector, I went back and looked at the original listing that you entered. I have to ask if, as part of your entry, you entered 'a' for Company, Card Size and Printer?
I marked Company as Riffle Shuffle, Card Size as Poker and Printer as USPCC. You have to enter that information or it will not let you save it. I also added release date, print run count, artist name, added photo od the bottom showing the manufacturing date and Riffle Shuffle as creator, etc.

There is always the chance that someone was entering it as I was entering it and we just overlapped - that is fine. But if that is the case it just reinforces the fact the data injection process is broken.

As someone who is in IT, may I offer some suggestions to whomever owns and controls this repository?

1. You should never allow free-form fields. Do not let people enter a name for the deck that results in the top field...this is what I am talking about:
11111.JPG
11111.JPG (14.46 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
Instead, that field (what I would call the Title Field) would be built from information pulled from the fields entered below. That way all your Titles will be formatted properly and the same.

2. Please stop allowing the person that creates a new deck entry to add it immediately. If you are going to mandate that some sort of QC be performed and a new deck be approved by an admin, then don't let me add it when I create it. Which leads into the next suggestion...

3. Send me emails. When I submit a new deck, email me a copy of the information sent. When it gets approved/denied, send me an email letting me know. I can then go in and add it to my portfolio, or in the case of a rejection, go in and add the one that was approved. If there are issues with the entry that result in it not being added, it can be easily corrected by the submitter instead of languishing with no update or forcing your admin to dig up the information himself.

4. There should be a page that shows all new approved decks that have been added since the last time I logged in, instead of just the last 4 new decks. I'm talking about new decks added to the DB, not new decks collected.

5. Your chat feature - it pains me.

There are other issues, but the above are the ones that make me want to wish I collected drinking horns instead of playing cards at times.