Wooden Storage Box

When you want something done right, gotta do it yourself!
robcan0630
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Wooden Storage Box

Unread post by robcan0630 »

I found this box on Etsy (of the available sizes, it's the Keepsake Box XL). They are available individually or in bulk, pre-stained or unfinished. Dimensions are 14.25x9.5x4.5 inches outside, 13.5x8.75x4 inches inside. I'm calculating it will hold 48 decks of cards, stood up, in 3 rows running length-wise. I'll have to get some 1/4" lauan and insert the dividers myself, but the unfinished box is $23 with shipping for me (the company is based in the US and so am I). To get it pre-finished for $29 shipped is still pretty good IMO if it will hold 48 decks. I've ordered one, and I'll update with pictures after it comes in and I've gotten the dividers installed. Just wanted to share in case anyone had another idea on the division of the box or storing standing up in rows.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/531554979/ ... unfinished
robcan0630

Re: Wooden Storage Box

My box arrived and I've gotten the dividers installed. Overall, I'm happy given the price point. The walls of the box and lid are solid pine, about 5/16" thick. The cap and floor are plywood, about 1/4" thick. It looks like the cap and floor are glued on only as I can't see any indication of nails, but they appear to be solid and I can always reinforce the floor with nails if I decide to (not worried about the cap). The interior floor came lined with black felt that is also glued in.
box-01.jpg
Corner construction is finger joints and they look pretty good.
box-03.jpg
box-04.jpg
box-05.jpg
robcan0630

Re: Wooden Storage Box

I had originally planned to store the decks in three rows of sixteen, running length-wise, but I decided to run them front to back instead. Four columns of 12 each so it will still hold 48 decks.
For the divider, I glued them in as I didn't want nails through the front, and I cut them pretty tight. They are 1/4" S4S poplar. I picked them up at Lowe's in 2' boards for around $2.30 each. I cut them to length, ripped them down a bit so they'd be just under the height of the main part of the box, and glued them in. Each "compartment" is ~3 3/16" wide. It's not perfect, but I can locate what's in the box and I can get to them easily (and it looks better than the photo box I was using).
box-06.jpg
box-07.jpg