Alcohol

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Re: Alcohol

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I just remembered that my younger brothers birthday is coming up soon and decided to buy him a gift. Well he likes his whiskey! He is the brother that really loves smokey whiskey so my first thought was to buy something with a heavy smokiness. However he already has that Lagavulin 16 years old that I got for him from Italy and a Dalwhinnie 15 years old I got to him at Christmas. I thought at buying him something that has sherry maturation. Smokiness... sherry... Logically the first thought was to buy a bottle of Laphroaig PX Cask. One problem: NOT SOLD IN FINLAND! Damnit!

I started to browse the Finnish Alko website (Alko is a goverment owned alcohol monopoly in Finland, they are currently the only ones allowed to sell hooch in retail to consumers) looking at the Scottish Single Malt section. I started to think on Glenfarclas, not that smokey but a quality whiskey for sure with a lot of sherry. Whenever I'm buying gifts I always tend to go a bit overboard and buy something of really good quality and always spending a bit too much.

I ended up buying a bottle of Glenfarclas 21 years old.

Edit: Ah, the Laphroaig PX Cask is a travel store exclusive... Didn't know that. I remember seeing them being sold in the airport in Rome.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Glenfarclas is a fine scotch. Sherry + Peat immediately brings Highland Park to mind.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Outsider

Unread post by Outsider »

I drink craft beer. I like most all alcohol, but mostly limit myself to beer because I can have a full glass of beer and still be drinking in moderation. Luckily for me I live in one of the best places in the world for beer, so I can drink a different world class microbrew every day.

TwoPiece has excellent taste in scotch. Glenlivet and Glenfiddich remind me of watered down whiskey from sleazy clubs. Glenfarclas is a proper scotch with a nice smoky, peaty profile. I personally like scotch room temperature, straight up. Taste the burn.
theCapraAegagrus

Outsider wrote:I drink craft beer. I like most all alcohol, but mostly limit myself to beer because I can have a full glass of beer and still be drinking in moderation. Luckily for me I live in one of the best places in the world for beer, so I can drink a different world class microbrew every day.

TwoPiece has excellent taste in scotch.
Glenlivet and Glenfiddich remind me of watered down whiskey from sleazy clubs. Glenfarclas is a proper scotch with a nice smoky, peaty profile. I personally like scotch room temperature, straight up. Taste the burn.
Thank you, sir. There's really no other way to properly enjoy a [single malt] scotch other than neat. Maybe a splash of spring water here or there, but adding ice only numbs the flavors that were intended to be savored and enjoyed. Blended scotches are what are made for mixed drinks.

My best friend once mixed Macallan with Coke. I've never shared my scotch with him ever again. Blasphemer.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

For those of you into science fiction, an anthology of stories told in, or involving, interstellar bars: https://www.amazon.com/Cosmic-Cocktails ... 513&sr=8-4
This space intentionally left blank.
ICantShuffle
White Whale: Bicycle Venexianas
Decks Owned: 270

Unread post by ICantShuffle »

I drink craft beer. I like most all alcohol, but mostly limit myself to beer because I can have a full glass of beer and still be drinking in moderation. Luckily for me I live in one of the best places in the world for beer, so I can drink a different world class microbrew every day.
Hess, Modern Times, AleSmith, Stone, Ballast Point, Pizza Port, Societe, Longship, Gordon Biersch, Green Flash, Bolt... am I getting warm?

Or, maybe, Russian River...?
Outsider

ICantShuffle wrote:
Hess, Modern Times, AleSmith, Stone, Ballast Point, Pizza Port, Societe, Longship, Gordon Biersch, Green Flash, Bolt... am I getting warm?

Russian River is for sure to my taste, Pliny remains the gold standard for IPA. Fremont Lush is another go-to for west coast IPA for me.

For the most part I buy local (Colorado) beer. A few that have caught my attention, in no particular order: 4 Noses, Avery, Trinity, Eddyline, Upslope, Ursula, Telluride, Left Hand, New Belgium, Great Divide, Crooked Stave, Odd13, WeldWerks, Elevation, New Image, Red Leg, and a bunch of others that could go on forever.

Out of what you mention I know I've had Modern Times, Ballast Point, Stone, and Gordon Biersch. Most of the time if I grab an out of state or import it's either something of exceedingly high repute or on the mix and match rack.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Shiner brewery in Texas is really a great brewery that has been around long before the craft brewery craze. Their Shiner Bock has been a longtime go-to beer for me.

I am not a huge IPA fan, but it is fun to go back to the roots of the Pilsner Urquell.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Räpylätassu

Outsider wrote:
ICantShuffle wrote:

Russian River is for sure to my taste, Pliny remains the gold standard for IPA. Fremont Lush is another go-to for west coast IPA for me.

For the most part I buy local (Colorado) beer. A few that have caught my attention, in no particular order: 4 Noses, Avery, Trinity, Eddyline, Upslope, Ursula, Telluride, Left Hand, New Belgium, Great Divide, Crooked Stave, Odd13, WeldWerks, Elevation, New Image, Red Leg, and a bunch of others that could go on forever.

Out of what you mention I know I've had Modern Times, Ballast Point, and Gordon Biersch. Most of the time if I grab an out of state or import it's either something of exceedingly high repute or on the mix and match rack.
Did you know that Left Hand Brewery has it's own custom deck?

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Outsider

Räpylätassu wrote:Did you know that Left Hand Brewery has it's own custom deck?
I did not, in fact I never even thought about local breweries having custom decks even though I've seen just about everything else for sale in pubs.

Next time I'm at the liquor store I'm going to ask if they can get these by any chance, to save on shipping ($7.50 in state is outrageous).
theCapraAegagrus

IPAs suck.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

No fans of Ardbeg, Port Ellen, Caol Ila, Laphroaig or Talisker in here? :?
theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:No fans of Ardbeg, Port Ellen, Caol Ila, Laproiag or Talisker in here? :?
Ardbeg is my favorite Islay brand...

Laphroaig is also fantastic.

I don't remember the last time that I had Talisker. Can't remember my opinion.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
masagin303

Unread post by masagin303 »

shiroo56 wrote:No fans of Ardbeg, Port Ellen, Caol Ila, Laproiag or Talisker in here? :?
Don’t know Port Ellen but the others I approve. And must add Lagavulin as well. [emoji1634]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember Earth clearly.
Harvonsgard

masagin303 wrote:
Don’t know Port Ellen but the others I approve. And must add Lagavulin as well. [emoji1634]
I just didn’t mention Lagavullin because it was mentioned positive before. Definetly one of the best from the best. Unfortunatly due to rising demand the price for the 16 years has risen here. Was €40/bottle - now it is above €60/bottle.
Räpylätassu

Which bottle should I go with for my older brother on his birthday in September? I want something a bit more premium that has both smoke and sherry maturation so I will buy one of the following:
Talisker 18 years old at 119 €,
Highland Park 18 years old at 111,49 €
Bowmore 18 years old at 104,99 €

I am currently leaning towards the Bowmore as it seems to be the most sherry heavy, my brother doesn't really have any sherry matured whiskeys in his cabinet that I know of. Thoughts?

Edit: Heyyyyy my brother is currently in Italy! That means he can buy himself the Laphroaig PX Cask from the airport! And thus he gets that smoke + sherry combination. I could possibly go to some different direction. There is an Ardbeg Grooves 116,98 € which would be really heavy smoke with a red wine cask maturation. He also has never tasted Ardbeg yet. Ardbeg Corryvreckan also at 102,96 € could be something to look at. Also I could go to an totally new direction with Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18 years old at 106,32 €, although he really likes the smoky ones... Let's see.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Harvonsgard

If he likes smoky ones and never had Ardbeg, I highly recommend it. I never had the Grooves, therefore I can't compare him to the Corryvreckan, but the Corryvreckan is awesome and I would recommend him over the other Ardbegs I had. If you wanna go with Talisker I would rather buy the Destiller's edition, which is sherry matured aswell, instead of the standard 18y. I just had it lately and it was as always a pleasure, sitting down with that bottle.
I never heard somebody say anything bad about Glenmorangie, therefore, you can't go wrong with it per se. But I prefer smokey ones over others and I know that I would love the gift of something which is familiar to my preference more than something which is high classs aswell, but not so much my personal taste. At the end you know your brother better, would he like to explore something new? A compromise is always a tiny bottle assortment, like the 0,375l bottles they are selling. Ardbeg and Glenmorangie are owned both by the same company (LVMH), maybe there is a pack with both, Ardbeg and Glenmorangie.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:Which bottle should I go with for my older brother on his birthday in September? I want something a bit more premium that has both smoke and sherry maturation so I will buy one of the following:
Talisker 18 years old at 119 €,
Highland Park 18 years old at 111,49 €
Bowmore 18 years old at 104,99 €

I am currently leaning towards the Bowmore as it seems to be the most sherry heavy, my brother doesn't really have any sherry matured whiskeys in his cabinet that I know of. Thoughts?

Edit: Heyyyyy my brother is currently in Italy! That means he can buy himself the Laphroaig PX Cask from the airport! And thus he gets that smoke + sherry combination. I could possibly go to some different direction. There is an Ardbeg Grooves 116,98 € which would be really heavy smoke with a red wine cask maturation. He also has never tasted Ardbeg yet. Ardbeg Corryvreckan also at 102,96 € could be something to look at. Also I could go to an totally new direction with Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18 years old at 106,32 €, although he really likes the smoky ones... Let's see.
Highland Park.

Edit After Reading Your Edit: Skip the Glenmorangie "Extremely Rare". Ardbeg Corryvreckan is a true man's drink. 120 ABV. If he can drink it neat without adding much spring water then he goes to Valhalla when he dies. It's a fantastic beverage. ANY Ardbeg product has my seal of approval. I've never had a bad one concocted by their distillery.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:If he likes smoky ones and never had Ardbeg, I highly recommend it. I never had the Grooves, therefore I can't compare him to the Corryvreckan, but the Corryvreckan is awesome and I would recommend him over the other Ardbegs I had. If you wanna go with Talisker I would rather buy the Destiller's edition, which is sherry matured aswell, instead of the standard 18y. I just had it lately and it was as always a pleasure, sitting down with that bottle.
I never heard somebody say anything bad about Glenmorangie, therefore, you can't go wrong with it per se. But I prefer smokey ones over others and I know that I would love the gift of something which is familiar to my preference more than something which is high classs aswell, but not so much my personal taste. At the end you know your brother better, would he like to explore something new? A compromise is always a tiny bottle assortment, like the 0,375l bottles they are selling. Ardbeg and Glenmorangie are owned both by the same company (LVMH), maybe there is a pack with both, Ardbeg and Glenmorangie.
Ardbeg and Glenmorangie are easily the best distilleries of their regions. When comparing the specific bottles Roope mentioned, the Ardbeg ones are MUCH better offerings.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

De gustibus non est disputandum.

I agree with what you said about Arbeg to 98,2% but I would fight you to the death that Laphroaig is the best destillery of Islay! Come at me :D .
Port Ellen (rip :cry: ), Lagavullin and Caol Ila are contenders too. If one could only save one of them all, Laphproaig would be it, Period.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:De gustibus non est disputandum.

I agree with what you said about Arbeg to 98,2% but I would fight you to the death that Laphroaig is the best destillery of Islay! Come at me :D .
Port Ellen (rip :cry: ), Lagavullin and Caol Ila are contenders too. If one could only save one of them all, Laphproaig would be it, Period.

:lol: :lol:

Laphroaig is fantastic in moderation, but their peat overpowers the underlying flavor. Ardbeg is more balanced and more 'tasteful' in excessive consumption...

It's not "AINEC", though. Ardbeg doesn't win in a landslide or anything. Lagavulin is better than The Frog, as well.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

TwoPiece wrote:Image

:D :twisted:
TwoPiece wrote:Laphroaig is fantastic in moderation, but their peat overpowers the underlying flavor.
That is the beauty of Laphroaig (and the reason why it is the best Islay) first you have the peat and noobs are like, "Oh no, the f**k is that" but then you have one of the most rich aftertastes. The 10y alone puts 90% of Scotch in its place.
TwoPiece wrote:Ardbeg is more balanced and more 'tasteful' in excessive consumption...
I don't need balance in my glass - I want a f**king mosh pit.

theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:Laphroaig is fantastic in moderation, but their peat overpowers the underlying flavor.
That is the beauty of Laphroaig (and the reason why it is the best Islay) first you have the peat and noobs are like, "Oh no, the f**k is that" but then you have one of the most rich aftertastes. The 10y alone puts 90% of Scotch in its place.
Idk exactly how many distilleries are around, but this may be accurate.
shiroo56 wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:Ardbeg is more balanced and more 'tasteful' in excessive consumption...
I don't need balance in my glass - I want a f**king mosh pit.
You have mental problems. :lol: :lol:
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

TwoPiece wrote:You have mental problems. :lol: :lol:
:lol: Maybe, but this is absolutly unrelated to my taste when it comes to Scotch.
I just wanted to express that I prefer a rougher dialogue of contrarian things than a well balanced melange of tastes. Therefore, Laphroaig takes the cake for me. But I would never ever say no to an Ardbeg. Except for Blasda maybe. Kind of unneccessary, to make a less peated Islay... but who am I to turn down a free drink anyways. I would even take an Ardbeg Blasda. Would be rude to not take it. I have manners... and now thirst for a Scotch.

theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:
:lol: Maybe, but this is absolutly unrelated to my taste when it comes to Scotch.
I just wanted to express that I prefer a rougher dialogue of contrarian things than a well balanced melange of tastes. Therefore, Laphroaig takes the cake for me. But I would never ever say no to an Ardbeg. Except for Blasda maybe. Kind of unneccessary, to make a less peated Islay... but who am I to turn down a free drink anyways. I would even take an Ardbeg Blasda. Would be rude to not take it. I have manners... and now thirst for a Scotch.
Have we agreed that Glenfiddich and Glenlivet taste like shit, yet..?
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

TwoPiece wrote:
shiroo56 wrote:
Have we agreed that Glenfiddich and Glenlivet taste like shit, yet..?
+1 on Glenfiddich. I had the standard Glenlivet ones - nice pear in the nose - but that's about it but I wouldn't call it shit per se. I heard good things about the older ones (21y/25y) though , but they are too expensive for me to take the risk and ending up disappointed.

Disclaimer: the following paragraph could contain strong language and exaggerations to clarify a certain view point.

Worst of them all (including Bourbon) is still Jim Beam. It is an atrosity against mankind. The production of this toxic waste is a holocaust against corn and oak! I swear I can't grasp how stuff like that is allowed to be sold. That shit should be banned and shunned by the united nations. Liquer stores and super markets who sell this should be boycotted. People that sell cr*** have higher ethical standards than people sellin JB!... /rant over :roll:

theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:Have we agreed that Glenfiddich and Glenlivet taste like shit, yet..?
+1 on Glenfiddich. I had the standard Glenlivet ones - nice pear in the nose - but that's about it but I wouldn't call it shit per se. I heard good things about the older ones (21y/25y) though , but they are too expensive for me to take the risk and ending up disappointed.

Disclaimer: the following paragraph could contain strong language and exaggerations to clarify a certain view point.

Worst of them all (including Bourbon) is still Jim Beam. It is an atrosity against mankind. The production of this toxic waste is a holocaust against corn and oak! I swear I can't grasp how stuff like that is allowed to be sold. That shit should be banned and shunned by the united nations. Liquer stores and super markets who sell this should be boycotted. People that sell cr*** have higher ethical standards than people sellin JB!... /rant over :roll:
Pretty much all Glenlivet offerings suck.

Jack Daniels is worse than Jim Beam, friend.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

TwoPiece wrote:Jack Daniels is worse than Jim Beam, friend.
I wouldn't mind both being Thanos snapped from this universe.

theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:Jack Daniels is worse than Jim Beam, friend.
I wouldn't mind both being Thanos snapped from this universe.
Have you had any Jim Beam flavored whiskies? They're not the worst.

I haven't had them in probably 7 years or so, though. And their lack of existence would bother me nil.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

TwoPiece wrote:Have you had any Jim Beam flavored whiskies? They're not the worst.

I haven't had them in probably 7 years or so, though. And their lack of existence would bother me nil.
Nope, they weren't around that time before I was a wisky snob and these days I have choosen to be pretty orthodox/fundamentalistic regarding whisky. I drink all whisky neat and at room temperature. I give them a hint of still water if they have cask strenghts of 56% vol (dunno how much this is in proof) and above. The only thing acceptable for me is a good wisky sour (e.g. with red wax Maker's Mark). Other than that I refuse to mix them or drink infused whisky stuff. Therefore I can't judge them but seeing they contain JB... doesn't make me think about trying them at all.

There're enough gin/vodka/rum for cocktails, no need to waste uisge beatha. :D

I should stop writting here, now I dream about Ron Zacapa (not for cocktails though) ... my waiter/bartender roots ... :drool: :drool: :drool: