Alcohol

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
theCapraAegagrus

Re: Alcohol

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

shiroo56 wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:Have you had any Jim Beam flavored whiskies? They're not the worst.

I haven't had them in probably 7 years or so, though. And their lack of existence would bother me nil.
Nope, they weren't around that time before I was a wisky snob and these days I have choosen to be pretty orthodox/fundamentalistic regarding whisky. I drink all whisky neat and at room temperature. I give them a hint of still water if they have cask strenghts of 56% vol (dunno how much this is in proof) and above. The only thing acceptable for me is a good wisky sour (e.g. with red wax Maker's Mark). Other than that I refuse to mix them or drink infused whisky stuff. Therefore I can't judge them but seeing they contain JB... doesn't make me think about trying them at all.

There're enough gin/vodka/rum for cocktails, no need to waste uisge beatha. :D

I should stop writting here, now I dream about Ron Zacapa (not for cocktails though) ... my waiter/bartender roots ... :drool: :drool: :drool:
"Proof" = 2X ABV.

I'd never buy them today, but before I was 25 (aka when I was poor), it wasn't a bad choice.

I almost exclusively drink whiskey and vodka. The odd tequila now and then. I don't drink often, so when I do, I make it count lol.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

TwoPiece wrote:The odd tequila now and then.
Don't get me started on this one... :lol: I always thought mental blanks from alcohol were a myth. Mostly because I got wasted many times in my early days and did shit that I don't regret but would consider as embarrasing and some stuff that is definetly subhuman and belongs in the animal kingdom. Being a former bartender and being surrounded by people that use alcohol extensivly didn't help BUT I could always remember to 100% what I did and why I did something.
I always assumed people are using this myth as an excuse (and I still think some do) when they did stuff they are ashamed off. I even was s**t-faced from Tequila before but that one evening/night in a Tequila bar ... let's end it here :mrgreen: :uggrin:
TwoPiece wrote:I don't drink often, so when I do, I make it count lol.
I don't drink much either and the occasions when I'm really loaded are even rarer. Mostly only at weddings/birthdays from friends and concerts.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:I don't drink often, so when I do, I make it count lol.
I don't drink much either and the occasions when I'm really loaded are even rarer. Mostly only at weddings/birthdays from friends and concerts.
I had to quit drinking a couple of times in my life because I became an alcoholic. [TMI SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT MY LIFE STORY] 1st time was when I was 17 and got expelled from every school in the state. 2nd time was about 6 months after my fiance broke it off - because she finally admitted she cheated on me.

Nowadays, like you, I only get hammered at birthday parties/weddings. I like to enjoy a nice scotch and cigar during nice spring and autumn weekends, by myself, though.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:De gustibus non est disputandum.

I agree with what you said about Arbeg to 98,2% but I would fight you to the death that Laphroaig is the best destillery of Islay! Come at me :D .
Port Ellen (rip :cry: ), Lagavullin and Caol Ila are contenders too. If one could only save one of them all, Laphproaig would be it, Period.
Alright, Laphroaig Expert Shiroo. I have a question for you:

How does the Quarter Cask stack up to the 10-Year?

I bought my scotch for this weekend after work yesterday, and since they didn't have Lagavulin, I picked up Ardbeg Corryvreckan and Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Never had the QC before.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

TwoPiece wrote:How does the Quarter Cask stack up to the 10-Year?
I prefer the 10, since I love the maritim/medical note (which is stronger here than in the QC), and the hints of vanilla in the aftermath of the 10. The QC has more fruit in the nose (banana, coco) and more spice/wood in the aftermath. Although he only has 48% vol I would recommend some drips of still water to open him up.
I would say the are both equal and the winner depends on personal liking. For me 10 slightly over QC.
TwoPiece wrote:I bought my scotch for this weekend after work yesterday, and since they didn't have Lagavulin,
Reason to burn down the store if happens again...
TwoPiece wrote:I picked up Ardbeg Corryvreckan and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.
I envy you, so much right now. Spend all my budget on cards the last months. I'm down to a bottle of Laphroaig Lore, but refuse to open it. Maybe your post sparked the strenght in me to say f**k it this evening and sit down with this bottle.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:How does the Quarter Cask stack up to the 10-Year?
I prefer the 10, since I love the maritim/medical note (which is stronger here than in the QC), and the hints of vanilla in the aftermath of the 10. The QC has more fruit in the nose (banana, coco) and more spice/wood in the aftermath. Although he only has 48% vol I would recommend some drips of still water to open him up.
I would say the are both equal and the winner depends on personal liking. For me 10 slightly over QC.
TwoPiece wrote:I bought my scotch for this weekend after work yesterday, and since they didn't have Lagavulin,
Reason to burn down the store if happens again...
TwoPiece wrote:I picked up Ardbeg Corryvreckan and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.
I envy you, so much right now. Spend all my budget on cards the last months. I'm down to a bottle of Laphroaig Lore, but refuse to open it. Maybe your post sparked the strenght in me to say f**k it this evening and sit down with this bottle.
What's great is that I knew I wasn't picking up a shitty bottle. :lol: :lol: Certified 1st World problems here.

Scotch is one of those products where a great distillery never seems to distribute a bad product. Except for Macallan. The oak/double barrel products are garbage.

I never find myself overthinking, "should I buy this from them". Like yesterday, it was a matter of trying a new Laphroaig, or a new Balvenie. It's always fun to try a new scotch from a familiar distillery.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

Curious about pricing. How much is a bottle of Corryvreckan and the Quarter Cask after taxes in the States?

theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:Curious about pricing. How much is a bottle of Corryvreckan and the Quarter Cask after taxes in the States?
It varies by state. State minimum pricing, and taxes, are different everywhere.

In Michigan:

Ardbeg Corryvreckan: $95
Laphroaig QC: $63
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

Wow. Now I stop complaining about decks being always cheaper for US guys. Finally found a reason to stay in Europe :D

theCapraAegagrus

shiroo56 wrote:Wow. Now I stop complaining about decks being always cheaper for US guys. Finally found a reason to stay in Europe :D
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that 40% of costs are import taxes, on foreign liquors.

There's no better alcohol experience than scotch, though. If I just wanna get wasted I can get a bottle of Tito's vodka for $20 (better than Grey Goose).
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

So, after being teased and writing about whisky too much, I couldn't resist to open the Laphroaig Lore yesterday and try it for the first time.

Long story short: Holy s*** snacks... ***k me hard up the a**!

This Scotch is insane. The nose is pretty complex. Besides the obvious peat, smoke and Islay typical stuff you have a rich fruity bouquet that I can't describe closer.
For the taste, be aware. This one hits you with ash, charcoal, heavy smoked bacon, black forest ham and with the full force of it. As if that wasn't enough you have chilli that tingles the tip and the sides of your tongue. I had to think about Talisker for a sec - amazing. After your taste buds took a breath, you'll realize dark bitter chocolate, fir honey and a mellow, smooth almost greasy, oily texture. The chilli stays for a while side by side with an awesome sweetness.

For the second glass I toned him down with some drips of still water, but I wouldn't recommend it. Even though it were just drips, it tammed the whole dram way too much for my liking. Sure, the complex taste stays but the chilli gets lost to an extinct that I don't like personally. With 48% vol. it is not too strong anyways.

TL;DR:It was amazing.

theCapraAegagrus

I prefer the Quarter Cask over the 10-Year. Gave my dad, older brother, and sister-in-law a dram. They all, surprisingly, LOVED it. Thought they might find it harsh or something.

I didn't even add any spring water to the Corryvreckan lol. I normally pour a dash.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

RE: Alcohol

I'm actually gonna ditch the Lagavulin tomorrow.

I'm really interested in trying the Balvenie Caribbean Cask. A unique barrel-aging that I haven't had yet.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Is is a rum cask matured? Then you also might want to try an Ardbeg Drum, which is an Ardbeg matured in rum casks.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:Is is a rum cask matured? Then you also might want to try an Ardbeg Drum, which is an Ardbeg matured in rum casks.
Apparently it is only finished in rum casks. Not aged. :(

Ardbeg Drum is a little too expensive for this weekend, so I'm leaning back to getting the Lagavulin.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

OJ with a healthy dose of Finlandia vodka is great I tell you.

I think that I will make an another one. There might be some typos from here on out.

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Harvonsgard

Räpylätassu wrote:OJ with a healthy dose of Finlandia vodka is great I tell you.

I think that I will make an another one. There might be some typos from here on out.
Celebrating your latest pick-up? :D

theCapraAegagrus

I drank the entire fifth on Saturday...

Surprised that I didn't manage to throw anything up.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

Just bought a bottle of Octomore 08.1. 59,3 % ABV, 167 ppm of smoke.

I should receive it in a few days. May God have mercy on my soul.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:Just bought a bottle of Octomore 08.1. 59,3 % ABV, 167 ppm of smoke.

I should receive it in a few days. May God have mercy on my soul.
You're a hockey fan. You'll be fine. :lol:
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Harvonsgard

Räpylätassu wrote:Just bought a bottle of Octomore 08.1. 59,3 % ABV, 167 ppm of smoke.
Did you have Octomore before? And if I may ask; how much did you pay for it? I've never tasted Octomore because I'm not willing to drop 100+ € on a Scotch just because he has ppm. I rather get an Arabeque for that money. :D

Räpylätassu

Harvonsgard wrote:
Did you have Octomore before? And if I may ask; how much did you pay for it? I've never tasted Octomore because I'm not willing to drop 100+ € on a Scotch just because he has ppm. I rather get an Arabeque for that money. :D
No, I've never had any. I paid 156,99€ for it. I'm never going to finish the bottle on my own, I will bring it to my parents house so that the whole family can enjoy it whenever we get together. My older brother already is quite curious about it, my younger brother in his usual fashion didn't reply to my texts. Not sure if he even read them...

I already have an Arabesque though :D

And while we are on the topic of whiskey and the Bruichladdich distillery, I just went and bought a Christmas present for both of my brothers, a bottle of 10 year old Port Charlotte for both.

Also we did buy our dad a 50 year old armagnac bottle for the upcoming fathers day. We already gave it to him as my parents are staying the next two weeks in Italy so the choice was to give the gift too early or late, so we chose too early. He hasn't opened it yet though but most likely will do so at least by Christmas, most likely sooner though.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Harvonsgard

Limme know your thoughts. I'm always curious aswell, since I love heavy peated whisky, but as mentioned, never was willing to drop that much money on something I didn't taste before.

theCapraAegagrus

I drank a whole fifth of vodka on Saturday. Might not drink for the rest of the year...

Went a little crazy because it's the last time I'll be able to party with my best friend for a while. He's having a kid ETA in January.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

Harvonsgard wrote:Limme know your thoughts. I'm always curious aswell, since I love heavy peated whisky, but as mentioned, never was willing to drop that much money on something I didn't taste before.
We tried the Octomore with my older brother and my parents. Everybody finished their glasses, everybody took another one except my dad. My older brother is the most experienced whisky drinker from us and did say that the whisky was "physical" and "like Ardbeg on steroids". He took quite a big glass and said that it wasn't that easy to empty it, although he did and poured some more after a few minutes. He wasn't able to find much flavors other than the extreme smoke. I detected some sweetness in the after taste, but that's about it. Dad updated his facebook status saying that one table spoon is the maximum ammount of this whisky at a time (he doesn't like smokey whisky much).

I do believe that my brother will have it again whenever he comes to visit and spend time at my parents house but it for sure isn't an easy whisky to drink.

Might be something though to buy just for the experience. Also one bottle should last quite a long time.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Räpylätassu

My little brothers birthday will be 2nd of April. Naturally I will get him a bottle of scotch. It's still a few months away but I am already thinking about the bottle. I was really thinking about going with Lagavulin's Distillers Edition. It's the same classic 16 years old Lagavulin (which my brother LOVES) but finished in PX sherry casks.

Unless Alko gets something really special, I will buy him that bottle for sure. My big brothers birthday is still a half a year (4th of September) away but maybe a bottle of 18 year old Talisker...? Still too early to say however with that one.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:My little brothers birthday will be 2nd of April. Naturally I will get him a bottle of scotch. It's still a few months away but I am already thinking about the bottle. I was really thinking about going with Lagavulin's Distillers Edition. It's the same classic 16 years old Lagavulin (which my brother LOVES) but finished in PX sherry casks.

Unless Alko gets something really special, I will buy him that bottle for sure. My big brothers birthday is still a half a year (4th of September) away but maybe a bottle of 18 year old Talisker...? Still too early to say however with that one.
Ooohhh... That sounds like the Ardbeg Uigeadail, which is god damn phenomenal.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Räpylätassu wrote:My little brothers birthday will be 2nd of April. Naturally I will get him a bottle of scotch. It's still a few months away but I am already thinking about the bottle. I was really thinking about going with Lagavulin's Distillers Edition. It's the same classic 16 years old Lagavulin (which my brother LOVES) but finished in PX sherry casks.

Lagavulin 16ys Distillers Edition is my favorite Scotch...that and the regular 16yr is all I drink. It’s just as smoky as the regular 16yr, but smoother and leaves you with an after taste of caramel. A very fine choice, indeed.

I am still curious about the Octomore you spoke of earlier...it’s a little expensive, especially the way I consume my Scotch :D
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Harvonsgard

theCapraAegagrus wrote:Ooohhh... That sounds like the Ardbeg Uigeadail, which is god damn phenomenal.
You're god damn right!

theCapraAegagrus

This thread just reminds me that, after I get my pistols next month and some comic collections after that, I have to return to my scotch collection.

I used to have my cabinet stocked with 12-16 bottles. I still do, but the bottles are empty. They're there to remind me which ones I enjoy most (so I can swap them out).

Lush, here I come!
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠