POST-1,000 HOCKEY THREAD

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
theCapraAegagrus

POST-1,000 HOCKEY THREAD

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

1,000th post! Since Roope and I chatter somewhat often about hockey on the "Last Post" thread, I figured I'd open one up specifically about all hockey.

Speaking of a thousand... Henrik Zetterberg played in his 1,000th game during the Detroit Red Wings' final regular season game, and final game ever at Joe Louis Arena, to complete the 2016-17 NHL season.

I'm 99%* sure that he'll record his 1,000th point during the upcoming 2018-19 season, also, as he currently sits at 960. He has confirmed his health to begin the upcoming season and figures to continue playing as Detroit's 2nd line center. He's never recorded less than 43 points in a single season, which was in 2004, during his sophomore year in which he only played 61 of the team's games.

Speaking of 99... Despite being born, raised, and living in Sweden until he was 21, Henrik Zetterberg's favorite hockey player was Wayne Gretzky. Most players of his age from Sweden idolized Peter Forsberg and Borje Salming.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Re: POST-1,000 HOCKEY THREAD

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Interesting thing about "Captain Beard", he has 3 years left with over 6 million cap hit. However his actual salary is: 3,35 million for this year and 1 million for each of the next two seasons. The contract is a pre-lockout contract. If Zetterberg retires after this season, the cap penalty for the Red Wings would be monster sized. The Vancouver Canucks are in the same boat with Luongo, even though he plays for the Panthers.

Twopiece, give me your July's pick for the Stanley Cup champion for 2018-2019 season.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:Interesting thing about "Captain Beard", he has 3 years left with over 6 million cap hit. However his actual salary is: 3,35 million for this year and 1 million for each of the next two seasons. The contract is a pre-lockout contract. If Zetterberg retires after this season, the cap penalty for the Red Wings would be monster sized. The Vancouver Canucks are in the same boat with Luongo, even though he plays for the Panthers.

Twopiece, give me your July's pick for the Stanley Cup champion for 2018-2019 season.
Fortunately, Zetterberg won't officially retire, if he decides not to play prior to the expiration of his contract. He will LTIRetire (the same as Johan Franzen has done). There is enough history of back problems throughout Z's career to support this medically. Unfortunately though, under that circumstance - due to he and Franzen's contracts adding to ~$10 million, they wouldn't be able to exceed the salary cap by 10% during the summer (until 2021) because both contracts count towards the 110% summer total.

2019 Stanley Cup Champions? Here's my rundown on legitimate contenders:

Washington Capitals: Probably the deepest forward group in the league. Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Wilson, Vrana, Backstrom, Oshie, Burakovsky, Eller, and Connolly all in the Top-9. On defense they still have Orlov and Carlson. Niskanen is 'meh' IMO, and while Kempny partners very well with Carlson, he only has the skill of a 3rd-pairing defender. If they actually deploy Djoos and Bowey then they can be a really strong group in front of Holtby (who's still one of the best goalies in the world). Oh, and they're the defending champs, so they proved that this group can get it done.

Tampa Bay Lightning: I'm not a fan of trading Namestnikov for Miller (I know, McDonagh was the top piece in the deal, but still). I think it made them marginally weaker up front, but, they still have probably my favorite non-Red Wing in Steven Stamkos. Rounding out a forward group close to the talent of WSH is; Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Point, and Gourde. They also have EASILY the best defense in town, I mean, the world. Reigning Norris Trophy winner Hedman, with Stralman, the aforementioned McDonagh, Sergachev, Coburn, and Koekkoek (who I'm high on). Will they acquire Erik Karlsson? Will Cal Foote make the team? Those moves will only make that defense corps even better. They also have one of the best goalies in the world, however somewhat inconsistent, in Andrei Vasilevskiy.

Edmonton Oilers: Top-6 forwards include: Leon Draisaitl, Connor McDavid, Jesse Puljujarvi (some are ready to give up on him but I think he breaks out this year), Milan Lucic (hate him), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Ryan Strome. A great core of forwards, but they're lacking scoring depth. They have basically 2 4th lines. Can all of that top-notch talent make up for that, though? If they add Bouchard to a Top-4 of Klefbom, Larsson, and Nurse, then their defense looks good going forward. Talbot needs to rebound for them to be taken seriously.

Los Angeles Kings: Easily the weakest team on this list, but IMO Kopitar is the Fedorov of his era, and with Carter they can match-up down the middle with any team. Doughty is 1 of the 3 best defensemen of the last decade. Quick is a real weak point because I think he's been overrated forever. This team is more of an honorable mention than anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if they won it all on the backs of a few absolutely elite players.

Nashville Predators: While TB has easily the best defense group, Nashville comes the closest at 2nd. Josi, Subban, Ekholm, and Ellis are basically as good as the Lightning's Top-4, but after that is their weakness. They're constantly rotating 3rd-line defensemen and they're almost never better than average guys that play ~10 mins a game. Irwin and Weber likely round out the group. They don't have top-notch elite forwards but they usually have great scoring depth. They made it to the Finals recently and I think they still have what it takes to do that again. Rinne's how old, though? 33? Clock's ticking to get it done.

Winnipeg Jets: Up front; Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Little, Scheifele, and Wheeler. Tons of scoring talent, and Scheifele was a freaking force in the 2018 playoffs. A bull in a china shop. Their defense is a close 3rd to NSH; Morrissey, Trouba, Kulikov, Byfuglien, Morrow, and Myers. Hellebuyck is also a fantastic goalie.

I've been claiming that Tampa Bay is going to win the Cup for a few years now, and that isn't going to change. Again, I think that the Lightning have the best chance of winning the next Stanley Cup.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

Leafs hockey twitter is buzzing about Leafs possibly trading for Panarin. I believe when I see it.

As for my July Stanley Cup winner picks:

East: Bolts, Penguins

West: Jets, Predators

Somehow I got a feeling that the Pens will play in the finals next year.

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Räpylätassu

Actually the more I look at the Kings, the more I like what I see:

Fowards:
Kopitar 92 point season under him
Dustin Brown returned to being a 60 point guy last season
Jeff Carter missed almost the entire last season due to injuries, he is an almost guarantee 30 goals, 60+ points
Toffoli has the tools the return to being 30+ goal guy
Pearson is a solid 40 point guy
Kempe is looking to do a breakthrough, two seasons already in the show, point totals grew in both
+
Kovalchuk might be a 25-30 goal guy and a PP weapon.

Defence:
Doughty. Franchise defenceman
Muzzin is a 40 point two-way defenceman and one of the most underrated players in the league
Martinez is a guranteed 30 points
Phaneuf is better than his reputation

Goalies:
Quick. Two time Cup winner.
Budaj is a solid veteran backup
Cambell is a potential elite backup

I think they could use one more winger. There has been talk of trading Muzzin for that. We'll see what happends. I don't know of if they have any rookies coming in for that spot.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:Actually the more I look at the Kings, the more I like what I see:

Fowards:
Kopitar 92 point season under him
Dustin Brown returned to being a 60 point guy last season
Jeff Carter missed almost the entire last season due to injuries, he is an almost guarantee 30 goals, 60+ points
Toffoli has the tools the return to being 30+ goal guy
Pearson is a solid 40 point guy
Kempe is looking to do a breakthrough, two seasons already in the show, point totals grew in both
+
Kovalchuk might be a 25-30 goal guy and a PP weapon.

Defence:
Doughty. Franchise defenceman
Muzzin is a 40 point two-way defenceman and one of the most underrated players in the league
Martinez is a guranteed 30 points
Phaneuf is better than his reputation

Goalies:
Quick. Two time Cup winner.
Budaj is a solid veteran backup
Cambell is a potential elite backup

I think they could use one more winger. There has been talk of trading Muzzin for that. We'll see what happends. I don't know of if they have any rookies coming in for that spot.
LA's forward depth isn't great outside of the Top-6, though. Admittedly, I probably underrate Muzzin, but I honestly completely forgot about Phaneuf.

I don't see how the Leafs can afford Panarin, and it would be going full-retard if they plan on putting all of their eggs into the basket of winning the 2019 Stanley Cup. There are no guarantees, and their defense is average.

I hope Pittsburgh doesn't make it out of the 1st round.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

TwoPiece wrote:I hope Pittsburgh doesn't make it out of the 1st round.
I hope that they miss the playoffs :lol:

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:I hope Pittsburgh doesn't make it out of the 1st round.
I hope that they miss the playoffs :lol:
You and me both.

I kinda wanted Cholowski and Hronek to make the team (Detroit), but we're probably going to be bottom-10 again this season, and I'd prefer them to play as the top pairing in Grand Rapids. If Zadina doesn't blow everyone away in training camp/preseason, I'd like to see him there, too. Svechnikov may also need another season in the AHL, just because his injury really slow his development last year.

Rasmussen has nothing left to prove in the WHL, so it's basically a lock that he makes the team. I can see him playing with Nyquist and Zetterberg. Both Larkin and Mantha had a lot of early success with those 2.

Some people, probably in the organization AND fandom, will be afraid of how many rookies we will/could have in 2019-20 (the above 4 +Veleno), but they're all extremely talented and I expect them to all be ready. The youth movement has to take full effect next year. Guys like Lindstrom, Kotkansalo, Berggren, McIsaac, and Regula could be pushing to make the team the following year, too.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

What I have been reading about Hronek makes me think that he would play in the show this season, not maybe right from the fall though. Daley's NTC goes *boof* 10 days before the deadline, a good veteran defenceman with a pretty good contract, Wings can even retain salary if necessary to make the best deal possible. Goose gets traded at the deadline for sure. 4,75 million for a 40-50 point guy who is 28 and an UFA in the summer, which makes it possible for the Wings to retain 50 % to get the best deal possible. I would imagine that they would also move Glendening and maybe Helm, but he has still 2 years left in the contract for a quite an expensive number, the Wings would have to retain with him. I think that if Kronwall wants a one more chance to win a cup, he should not be too hard to trade, especially as Wings can once again retain that 50 % with ease. I would imagine Ericsson gets dealt next year as will Green. Nielsen and Abdelkader are pretty much unmovable contracts, at least for the next 3 years because of the term.

I firmly believe that the Wings should burn this team to the ground as the Leafs did a couple of years ago. They already have a lot of good young pieces, 1-2 or seasons of just full tank mode with good drafts + after that maybe 1-2 signings from Free Agency and they are back in business.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:What I have been reading about Hronek makes me think that he would play in the show this season, not maybe right from the fall though. Daley's NTC goes *boof* 10 days before the deadline, a good veteran defenceman with a pretty good contract, Wings can even retain salary if necessary to make the best deal possible. Goose gets traded at the deadline for sure. 4,75 million for a 40-50 point guy who is 28 and an UFA in the summer, which makes it possible for the Wings to retain 50 % to get the best deal possible. I would imagine that they would also move Glendening and maybe Helm, but he has still 2 years left in the contract for a quite an expensive number, the Wings would have to retain with him. I think that if Kronwall wants a one more chance to win a cup, he should not be too hard to trade, especially as Wings can once again retain that 50 % with ease. I would imagine Ericsson gets dealt next year as will Green. Nielsen and Abdelkader are pretty much unmovable contracts, at least for the next 3 years because of the term.

I firmly believe that the Wings should burn this team to the ground as the Leafs did a couple of years ago. They already have a lot of good young pieces, 1-2 or seasons of just full tank mode with good drafts + after that maybe 1-2 signings from Free Agency and they are back in business.
Zetterberg (I know you didn't mention him) and Kronwall aren't going anywhere. Kronwall and Green are the only defensemen on the team that can movie the puck through zones, and even though Cholowski and Hronek are very talented, they need some good mentors/examples. With Chelios gone, and Fischer working primarily with prospects in the minors, Kronwall is a necessary commodity. He also knows how to be a complete leader, on and off the ice, and has been with the organization for 15+ years. We just won't get assets in a trade that are worth his total overall value as a person AND player.

I would definitely like to see them move Daley, Glendening, Ericsson, and Green this year or next. With Nyquist being my favorite player right now, and most veterans being gone soon, I want them to keep him (same with Abdelkader).

After the season Helm just had, he's not as overpaid as some would like to think. He's still one of the fastest players in the league, great at all 3 forward positions, and works hard every shift. He put up 30 points on the 3rd and 4th lines. I think he's easily move-able, but I'm not sure if I want him moved. Depends on if he can bring back value like Tatar did. Not the same 1st/2nd/3rd, but something that makes it a bittersweet move more than just bitter. He'd be another great leader for all of the upcoming young forwards. Especially guys like Holmstrom and Veleno.

You're right that the Nielsen contract is probably un-trade-able. I would love to see him gone. Not that he's a bad player. We just never really needed him. Holland jumped the gun on Larkin's sophomore slump.

If Filip Larsson makes the movie to the pros in the next couple of years, or Pottelberghe joins the mix, I'd also like to see them movie Bernier.

Athanasiou is the only young guy I'd like to see shopped. I'm just not a fan of his attitude and his inconsistency. He just doesn't strike me as a prototypical Red Wing. Mantha figured it out, and that makes me proud, but AA thinks he can get by on quick hands and feet alone. Not a fan.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

Why on earth you wouldn't move Kronwall? He:
1. Plays with the Wings until the deadline
2. Gets traded to a contender and gets a shot to win the Cup
3. Retires after the season is done/Signs back to the Wings in the offseason with a cheap deal

If Kronwall plays well, I would imagine Wings getting a TOP 100 pick for him. Would you rather have that or have him play meaningless games for the Wings in the spring?

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Räpylätassu

The Preds signed Dan Hamhuis to a 2 year deal, cap hit 1,25 million. Their defence is almost unfair.

Also a bold prediction: Panthers will get more points in the regular season than the Bruins.
Another prediction: Panthers wil be the team that lands Panarin. Panarin-Barkov-Dadonov would be a monster line.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:Why on earth you wouldn't move Kronwall? He:
1. Plays with the Wings until the deadline
2. Gets traded to a contender and gets a shot to win the Cup
3. Retires after the season is done/Signs back to the Wings in the offseason with a cheap deal

If Kronwall plays well, I would imagine Wings getting a TOP 100 pick for him. Would you rather have that or have him play meaningless games for the Wings in the spring?
It's just not Detroit's style. Loyalty is a big draw for free agents. He already won a Cup in 2008, so it's not like his legacy is missing that accomplishment. His leadership and teaching skills are more valuable than a Top 100 pick.

Now, if for some ridiculous reason, he does request a trade, AND fetches a 1st or 2nd round pick, THEN I'm on-board.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:The Preds signed Dan Hamhuis to a 2 year deal, cap hit 1,25 million. Their defence is almost unfair.

Also a bold prediction: Panthers will get more points in the regular season than the Bruins.
Another prediction: Panthers wil be the team that lands Panarin. Panarin-Barkov-Dadonov would be a monster line.
Yeah, Hamhuis as a #5 (back) in Nashville is great for them. Their D is so close to Tampa's.

RE: Panarin. That's certainly a bold prediction. I highly doubt that he lands in FLA.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

TwoPiece wrote:
Räpylätassu wrote: Also a bold prediction: Panthers will get more points in the regular season than the Bruins.
RE: Panarin. That's certainly a bold prediction. I highly doubt that he lands in FLA.
Not really. Bjugstad + McCann + Borgström/Tipett + 1st round pick (+another pick?). I think that would be a rather fair return and something the Panthers can afford to do.

As for Kronwall, yeah he has a Cup. 1 Cup that he won 10 years ago. If you don't feel the need to go get an another, you might just well retire now. He can mentor the young defenceman all season and play the last 20 games + the playoffs somewhere else and then come back to the organzation. Plus it opens a roster spot for one of those young D to have a crack at the NHL. I think trading him is a no-brainer.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote: Not really. Bjugstad + McCann + Borgström/Tipett + 1st round pick (+another pick?). I think that would be a rather fair return and something the Panthers can afford to do.

As for Kronwall, yeah he has a Cup. 1 Cup that he won 10 years ago. If you don't feel the need to go get an another, you might just well retire now. He can mentor the young defenceman all season and play the last 20 games + the playoffs somewhere else and then come back to the organzation. Plus it opens a roster spot for one of those young D to have a crack at the NHL. I think trading him is a no-brainer.
I thought you were talking about free agency, not via trade. They definitely have assets to acquire him that way. I doubt he would want to stay, though. FLA is a fairly dysfunctional organization right now.

Like I said, it's just not DET's style. I doubt that Kronwall would want to spend 45+ days away from the place he's called home for the past 15 years for an accomplishment he's already won. Most life-long Red Wings want to retire in Detroit. I would rather they trade Daley (who would be easier to move) and trade/waive Nick Jensen. I think that Cholowski, unless he's overwhelmed in the preseason, and Hronek are already easily better than him. Jensen has great wheels but he had a poor outing last year. He's not strong by any means.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I used to have conversations like this back when Buffalo (where I grew up) still had a professional hockey team.

Le sigh.
This space intentionally left blank.
theCapraAegagrus

rousselle wrote:I used to have conversations like this back when Buffalo (where I grew up) still had a professional hockey team.

Le sigh.
It's only been 6 years lol.

That Eichel contract is ugly, $10 million/year, for a guy who hasn't eclipsed an 80-point pace.

People need to calm their tits on Rasmus Dahlin. Guys like Doughty and Hedman only had 20-30 points in their 18-year old seasons. To expect more than that from this kid will result in self-inflicted heartache.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

To be fair, Eichel has performed everytime he has been healthy. And he hasn't been that much.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:To be fair, Eichel has performed everytime he has been healthy. And he hasn't been that much.
Not $10 million worth of production when healthy, though. If he was a 2-way player, then his numbers would merit that contract, but he doesn't defend that well.

Maybe switching his jersey number to 9 will change something...
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

That Tom Wilson deal was a dumbster fire.

The same agent got the contracts for Bobby Ryan and Toronto Maple Leaf Legend David Clarkson.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:That Tom Wilson deal was a dumbster fire.

The same agent got the contracts for Bobby Ryan and Toronto Maple Leaf Legend David Clarkson.
I swear, if another Detroit fan thinks Abdelkader's contract is awful... He's scored 20 goals and 40 points a few times. GMs keep pointing the league in the direction of another lockout.

One of my first-line EASHL friends, who's a Washington fan, said, "it'll be okay as long as he can stay out of the box and put up more points." Wilson is worth about 70% of this new contract. It's bad.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

I so wish Bode Wilde makes it to the NHL. So much. Then I hope that he plays a bad stretch of games. Just so that his coach can yell:

"Bode this is your f*cking wake up call man! I am an F! B! I! AGENT!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:I so wish Bode Wilde makes it to the NHL. So much. Then I hope that he plays a bad stretch of games. Just so that his coach can yell:

"Bode this is your f*cking wake up call man! I am an F! B! I! AGENT!"
:roll: :roll:
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

Dylan Larkin. $6.1 million. 5 years.

That Tom Wilson contract gets uglier and uglier.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

What the hell was this Rangers - Bruins deal that just happened?

Bruins get Steven Kampfer, 4th round pick 2019 and a conditional 7th round pick. Rangers get... Adam McQuaid...? Huh?

I totally get the Bruins side, they have surplus in defence, you trade a defenceman that you don't need that much and get two picks. Nice. What I don't get is the Rangers on this one. Why would you add an over 30 year old defenceman whose only strength as a player is that he's tough to a team that is in a middle of a rebuild and you give up two picks for that?`The only way that this makes sense to me is that the Rangers will flip him at the trade deadline and try to get a better price for him than those two picks.

Rangers are now spending almost 13 million to these three players: Marc Staal, Brendan Smith and Adam McQuaid. Nice job.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote:What the hell was this Rangers - Bruins deal that just happened?

Bruins get Steven Kampfer, 4th round pick 2019 and a conditional 7th round pick. Rangers get... Adam McQuaid...? Huh?

I totally get the Bruins side, they have surplus in defence, you trade a defenceman that you don't need that much and get two picks. Nice. What I don't get is the Rangers on this one. Why would you add an over 30 year old defenceman whose only strength as a player is that he's tough to a team that is in a middle of a rebuild and you give up two picks for that?`The only way that this makes sense to me is that the Rangers will flip him at the trade deadline and try to get a better price for him than those two picks.

Rangers are now spending almost 13 million to these three players: Marc Staal, Brendan Smith and Adam McQuaid. Nice job.
This literally makes no sense. Cat got my tongue on this one...

McQuaid is a fraction better than Kampfer... I'm so confused...
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
theCapraAegagrus

The Captain is coming home soon!

Steve Yzerman, (now formally) General Manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning, has stepped down into an advisory role. With 1 year remaining on his contract, in a meeting with his players, he told the team he's going to return home to his family and the Detroit Red Wings.

Now, while Holland isn't a bad GM by any means, Yzerman has probably been the best GM since 2010. He's signed some bad contracts along the way, like Callahan and Killorn, but he's absolutely killed it on the trade market. With the prospect pool that Detroit now has, it is exciting to think that we may soon have a GM that can turn some quantity into better quality, or move from positions of excess strength into depth that we're lacking.

One more year of suck may be all it takes to turn this around!
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Räpylätassu

TwoPiece wrote:The Captain is coming home soon!

Steve Yzerman, (now formally) General Manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning, has stepped down into an advisory role. With 1 year remaining on his contract, in a meeting with his players, he told the team he's going to return home to his family and the Detroit Red Wings.

Now, while Holland isn't a bad GM by any means, Yzerman has probably been the best GM since 2010. He's signed some bad contracts along the way, like Callahan and Killorn, but he's absolutely killed it on the trade market. With the prospect pool that Detroit now has, it is exciting to think that we may soon have a GM that can turn some quantity into better quality, or move from positions of excess strength into depth that we're lacking.

One more year of suck may be all it takes to turn this around!
Ken Holland is a big reason why the Wings were so good for so long... He is also to blame for all those bad contracts that sunked the team. One such stroke of genius was the following trade: paying Tampa Bay a 1st round pick for Kyle Quincey. Just so that the Wings could keep up the playoff streak, without having any real chance to win the Cup at that time. Tampa drafted Andrei Vasilevsky with that pick, Wings got a bottom two pair defenceman. Having Yzerman as a GM is a major improvement.

COULD WE GET HOCKEY BACK ALREADY?!? The Finnish Elite League kicks off on friday, which is nice, but the level of play and the level of the players is so low nowadays that I have lost almost all the interest in the whole league, other than KalPa, Kuopio's hockey team. Also NHL training camps start on friday... Pour it right in to my veins!

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
theCapraAegagrus

Räpylätassu wrote: Ken Holland is a big reason why the Wings were so good for so long... He is also to blame for all those bad contracts that sunked the team. One such stroke of genius was the following trade: paying Tampa Bay a 1st round pick for Kyle Quincey. Just so that the Wings could keep up the playoff streak, without having any real chance to win the Cup at that time. Tampa drafted Andrei Vasilevsky with that pick, Wings got a bottom two pair defenceman. Having Yzerman as a GM is a major improvement.

COULD WE GET HOCKEY BACK ALREADY?!? The Finnish Elite League kicks off on friday, which is nice, but the level of play and the level of the players is so low nowadays that I have lost almost all the interest in the whole league, other than KalPa, Kuopio's hockey team. Also NHL training camps start on friday... Pour it right in to my veins!
I know that a lot of people don't like some of the Red Wings' contracts, but outside of Nielsen and DeKeyser, there isn't much to complain about (some would include Abdelkader - I wouldn't). Every single large contract that Holland's signed post-lockout, outside of Zetterberg, Kronwall, Datsyuk, and Larkin, has caught flak from fans. Even Franzen's ridiculously underpaid contract continues to draw some negative attention.

To be fair, I think Holland knew that 2012 was Lidstrom's last year, and that's why he made that poor trade. Despite no longer having Brian Rafalski, the team still had Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Lidstrom, Kronwall, and an elite Jimmy Howard. That team did have a chance at the Cup. And, while Quincey sucked for Detroit down the stretch, he was the perfect partner for DeKeyser over the rest of his tenure. After Quincey left, Danny hasn't played as well.

And, yes, I can't wait for some real hockey to start soon! I didn't have any opportunities to see the kids at the Prospect Tournament so it will be fun to see them in the preseason.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠