LUMINOSITY: The Kingdom of Light by Black Ink Branded / Jody Eklund

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Jody Eklund's new project-LUMINOSITY: The Kingdom of Lig

Unread post by guru »

Yes, USPCC registration has been a question on my mind too, and how are Expert & Legends able to print the decks with that precise registration.

In fact, I asked the question as above to the proprietor of a playing card company who had made those Archduke decks many years back. I was working with him to get my Mythos prototype printed on the same Linen grain finish.

Copying his reply as below. Mad respect to this guy who spoke highly of USPCC even though being a competitor in the playing card printing industry.
Comment from Archduke maker.PNG
Comment from Archduke maker.PNG (77.66 KiB) Viewed 3706 times
Bradius
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

USPCC registration problems are an issue, especially for low-run collecting cards. I just wish they could put a better quality in for them. That said, I agree the problem is larger in our minds due to highly selective posting. Most decks I get from them are fine, or only slightly off.

I will give Nicolai the benefit of the doubt and have to think he was not trying to put shade on Luminosity (not to make a pun), but just trying to make his argument why he likes NPCC. I will say NPCC does make nice tucks, even if they do wrap them in really bad plastic wrap. You are never going to make everyone happy.....

While I really liked some of Nicolai's releases in 2019, I thought Luminosity was one of the best decks of the year. Just behind The Order for me. I am so glad I opened one of my gilded Luminosity decks. That copper gilding was :drool:

Anyway, hoping everyone is staying safe right now. At this point, I am getting a bit stir crazy and tired of working remotely.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

So, I received a notification on Instagram that Nicolai liked my message. When I got in the app, I found that he has deleted the post itself.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-e-5DXHEV4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jodyeklund
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by jodyeklund »

Hey all I never get alerted on new posts from UC anymore. It’s only when I come back after a couple weeks to check on how things are going here that I see some new postings on my topics.

I hope you all are staying safe. I just want to post here what I posted on Instagram and clear up any confusion.

Luminosity was my favorite deck to make last year. I am very happy with how it turned out, both from production to how it was received by all all of you. I believe it is my best deck yet.

As always though, I am always looking to improve on things. With every project there is always things I wish I could have done better. One of the things I would have liked to change about Luminosity is the way I designed the lion on the sides and the lion on the fronts of the ksx and the lux. I made the lines too thin inside the head which makes for the big glob of copper. That was totally on me. I should have seen that.

USPCC is my go to printer. I have chose them for more reasons than one. Their handling, their production turnaround time and reputation with collectors. I have found that collectors forgive problems with registration, but not so much with handling. Handling is probably my number one reason for choosing a printer.

Yes LPCC, Cartimundi and EPCC would be my next choices, but their long delivery times is my reason for going with USPCC over them.

Gambler’s did a fantastic job with the tucks. I have no complaints with their professionalism and dedication to my projects. One of the main reasons I have chose to go with Gambler’s is that they are the best I’ve seen when packaging for fulfillment. Their international shipping prices are the best I’ve seen.

I am looking forward to beating my previous projects. I am always looking to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
james001a
White Whale: Aurum Laser Cut

Unread post by james001a »

jodyeklund wrote:That was totally on me. I should have seen that...I am looking forward to beating my previous projects. I am always looking to improve.
Your decks are badass Jody, and so are you for taking ownership of your mistakes in such a humble way. The decks were gorgeous though and the error was not in a prime focal area of the tuck, so no worries. I look forward to your Sovereign decks, as I am in for the Exquisite Set. Can't wait to see the green one. Stay well and healthy, and thanks for giving us some great looking playing cards.
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

-Mitch Hedberg
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

jodyeklund wrote: USPCC is my go to printer. I have chose them for more reasons than one. Their handling, their production turnaround time and reputation with collectors. I have found that collectors forgive problems with registration, but not so much with handling. Handling is probably my number one reason for choosing a printer.
This truly warms my heart to read. There are too many artists and designers who rationalize that they are not making decks for cardists, so they don't care about finish or handling. I feel most, if not all decks, should be used, especially if they are beautiful. It almost pains me to think that there are decks where the designer spent countless hours lovingly creating an exquisite work of art, and those cards will never see the light of day or use as they are doomed to collect dust on a display shelf forever hidden away in their sealed tuck box. I always appreciate artists and designers who want their customers to have it all - top quality art AND top quality handling. Thank you Jody!
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Re: Jody Eklund's new project-LUMINOSITY: The Kingdom of Light

Unread post by Eric Lee »

For those who missed out on Jody's Luminosity, here's a chance to get a signed 2 deck Boxed set along with the book at a great price. IMHO, it's his best work yet. Check it out here.
Hey everyone!

Ok, so last week I posted the Top Aces 2 Deck Box that were signed by me and it looks like that was something you all were looking for. So, this week I found another set that you all might like. These are also signed and I threw in a couple free books. These are the companion books with the story about the world of Luminosity. I'm only putting out a small batch of these with my signature, so be sure to snag some.

Also, please don't hesitate to email me at admin@blackinkbranded.com if there is something you are looking for from some of my past projects. I just might have it! I am also willing to sign it :)
Eric Lee

For those who missed out on Jody's Luminosity, here's a chance to get a signed 2 deck Boxed set along with the book at a great price. IMHO, it's his best work yet. Check it out here.
Hey everyone!

Ok, so last week I posted the Top Aces 2 Deck Box that were signed by me and it looks like that was something you all were looking for. So, this week I found another set that you all might like. These are also signed and I threw in a couple free books. These are the companion books with the story about the world of Luminosity. I'm only putting out a small batch of these with my signature, so be sure to snag some.

Also, please don't hesitate to email me at admin@blackinkbranded.com if there is something you are looking for from some of my past projects. I just might have it! I am also willing to sign it :)
axolotl2026
Decks Owned: 60

Unread post by axolotl2026 »

The very verbose wording of the description is ironically less descriptive of what's in the box.

I just want to know which deck versions will be in this... I think it's Luminosity and Umbra based off the books but the pictures show luminosity standard and limited?
Eric Lee

axolotl2026 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:37 am The very verbose wording of the description is ironically less descriptive of what's in the box.

I just want to know which deck versions will be in this... I think it's Luminosity and Umbra based off the books but the pictures show luminosity standard and limited?
It's from the Luminosity luxury box set as seen in the original KS, sans collector coin. Yes it's quite verbose, but he states that it's only the Luminosity decks, not Umbra
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/do ... escription
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: LUMINOSITY: The Kingdom of Light by Black Ink Branded / Jody Eklund

Unread post by kevork »

Screenshot_20240501_183033_Instagram.jpg
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

No gilding? From what realm is my OG gilded Luminosity then?
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Screenshot_20240503-100439.png
Screenshot_20240503-100347.png
GandalfPC
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

Harvonsgard wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:33 pm No gilding? From what realm is my OG gilded Luminosity then?

I seem to have one as well - so we must have gotten it from the same alternate universe.
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Wasn't he meaning foil and gilding (as opposed to either / or)?

I do recall being a little disappointed that Luminosity wasn't as shiny as so many other decks -- even other Black Ink decks. Glad he's revisiting this one, although I'm not sure yet if I'll be revisiting it, as well. Hmmm.
This space intentionally left blank.
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

If that was the case he should have said 'foil AND gilding' not OR but it is obviously what Jody meant as he 100% knows what he has already done
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
laitostarr777
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

rousselle wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm Wasn't he meaning foil and gilding (as opposed to either / or)?

I do recall being a little disappointed that Luminosity wasn't as shiny as so many other decks -- even other Black Ink decks. Glad he's revisiting this one, although I'm not sure yet if I'll be revisiting it, as well. Hmmm.
Me neither, I am really not buying onto this… I already had the original Luminosity, I feel I don’t need the “foiled” oned with same artworks (also, still traumatized with my experience on his Jolly Roger campaign and cringed on how anti-climactic of the brick
Box for Eminence)

Plus, looking back at the pricings for Eminence back then, its just… too pricey for me, esp those limited editions. With exchange rates that just gets worsen every day, I’ll have to think it hard and try not get FOMO influenced me
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Having new super-luxury stuff afterwards just doesn't feel appetizing to me either. I am just going to sit this out most likely. I guess if the foiling sends me into a frenzy and the price is amazing, maybe. I have gone in for a lot of other stuff lately, so I am feeling full right now anyway.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Harvonsgard

rousselle wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:51 pm Wasn't he meaning foil and gilding (as opposed to either / or)?
I guess yah, but the "whitout any..." threw me off as well.
Anyhow, for now I'm unison with others that have the OG; I might sit this one out as well since, for me personally, it doesn't get any better than USPCC with gilding. I quite like that he used only metallics and no foil on the cards it suits the tone of the artwork perfectly.
However, this will be a great opportunity for newer collectors to get their hand on, what I would argue, Jodi's best deck so far.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

This campaign just went up

Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

I'm not fussed with gilding, but that copper tuck is too nice to miss.
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

Eh, I preferred the original tuck. And I kinda think in this case the metallic ink worked better. With nothing else updated, this is an easy pass for me.
Harvonsgard

B&N tuck box is certainly an upgrade worth considering but reading cold foil always leaves me cold. So I'll switch my most likely pass to definitely pass. For everyone not having any of the OGs, I'd still say make sure to grab some.

laitostarr777
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

Im contemplating….
Take it because it is foiled and such
OR
Pass it because OG is enough for me
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

I need to sit out a few of Jody's. Penance for how bad Eminence was. Will be back tho.
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093