Tragoedia Macbethi Playing Cards - Experience the Tragedy of Macbeth

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
CallOn84
Collector: Yes

Two Days Away

Unread post by CallOn84 »

As the clock ticks, anticipation mounts!

We're only two days away from launching our Kickstarter campaign and unleashing our Tragoedia Macbethi Playing Cards, based on Macbeth, upon the world. From the halls of power to the depths of despair, each card tells a story of ambition and betrayal. Join us on April 26th and be part of the drama!

For our first 100 backers, there is an early bird deal of 20% off both the Standard and Limited Editions. So, if you want to snatch a great deal, please visit our Kickstarter link below and press the "Notify me on launch" button to be the first to know when we're launching. Join now or you miss out!
Artboard 7.jpg
Inspired by the stories, art, and world around us.

Sign up for our newsletter for updates to receive behind-the-scenes peeks, updates, giveaways, and upcoming Kickstarter campaigns: https://mailchi.mp/64614e54639d/artisanaldeckco
CallOn84

Pog Frog Approves

Screenshot 2024-04-25 002156.png
Now that is pog

Sign up for our newsletter for updates to receive behind-the-scenes peeks, updates, giveaways, and upcoming Kickstarter campaigns: https://mailchi.mp/64614e54639d/artisanaldeckco
CallOn84

Tomorrow is D-Day

Tomorrow's the day we've all been waiting for!

Our Kickstarter campaign launches on April 26th, and we can hardly contain our excitement. Get ready to witness the unveiling of our Tragoedia Macbethi Playing Cards based on Macbeth - meticulously crafted to transport you to the heart of Shakespeare's tragedy. Prepare to be spellbound!
Artboard 8.jpg

CallOn84

D-Day is Near!

It's almost here!

Our Kickstarter campaign is officially about to go live at 8 AM EDT! Join us as we embark on this journey to bring the tragedy of Macbeth to life through stunning playing cards. Back our project now and be among the first to own this unique deck. Let's make Shakespeare proud!

For our first 100 backers, there is an early bird deal of 20% off both the Standard and Limited Editions. So, if you want to snatch a great deal, please visit our Kickstarter link below and press the "Notify me on launch" button to be the first to know when we're launching. Join now or you miss out!
5.jpg

kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: Tragoedia Macbethi Playing Cards - Experience the Tragedy of Macbeth

Unread post by kevork »

That'll be 5am for me. Hopefully I'll be a first 100 backer when I wake up :uggrin:
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
CallOn84

kevork wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 pm That'll be 5am for me. Hopefully I'll be a first 100 backer when I wake up :uggrin:
It's 4:56 AM in the UK at the moment - last preparations until D-Day arrives.

My sleep has been horrible, and it will only get worse! Thankfully, I asked my line manager if I could skip work tomorrow/today so I could be at the operation.

CallOn84

WE ARE LIVE!

We've officially gone live on Kickstarter!

To remind everyone, we have an early bird deal where 100 backers can get 20% off both the Standard and Limited Editions, split to 50 each. So, if you want to snatch a great deal, please visit our Kickstarter link and back the early bird deal. Back now, or you miss out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ar ... ying-cards

shunterino
White Whale: Wicked Kingdom
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by shunterino »

So I had my eye on these, art looks good (although the Limited is so much better than the standard I'm not sure it was worth making this two decks) but as usual the shipping is just way too much for me to even be on the fence. £10 for one deck from a UK designer when I'm in the UK is just... I realise there are logisitics and fees and fulfullment may not be in the same country as the design team, but a little more effort to bring down shipping costs would go a long way. Basically, if it fulfills and gets into shops/websites it will be much cheaper for me to pick it up then even after the markup.

$23k also seems a little high, but hope you get there.
CallOn84

shunterino wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:21 am So I had my eye on these, art looks good (although the Limited is so much better than the standard I'm not sure it was worth making this two decks) but as usual the shipping is just way too much for me to even be on the fence. £10 for one deck from a UK designer when I'm in the UK is just... I realise there are logisitics and fees and fulfullment may not be in the same country as the design team, but a little more effort to bring down shipping costs would go a long way. Basically, if it fulfills and gets into shops/websites it will be much cheaper for me to pick it up then even after the markup.

$23k also seems a little high, but hope you get there.
Hi Shunterino!

The shipping rates are based on Deallez Fulfilment rates, so there isn't much we can do to reduce shipping since they're based in Germany. I blame Brexit for this!

Also, $23k is the lowest funding goal we can have. We're using USPCC and Clove St Press as our manufacturers and their starting minimum quantity is 1000. There are two different designs so that it would be 2200 decks (2000 + accounting for a 10% underprint). Furthermore, the foiling of the deck is also a significant contributor to the cost.

kevork

Unread post by kevork »

While I'm not familiar with Macbeth at all, I backed the limited edition of this deck because I want to support the producer and the artists behind the campaign. We've seen this campaign develop over many months with community involvement and feedback each step of the way. That has value to me.
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
CallOn84

kevork wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:30 am While I'm not familiar with Macbeth at all, I backed the limited edition of this deck because I want to support the producer and the artists behind the campaign. We've seen this campaign develop over many months with community involvement and feedback each step of the way. That has value to me.
Thank you for backing us! Without the people here, this project wouldn't be where it is now. I own a debt to you all!

As for the deck itself, I hope you'll be able to learn what the play is about from the deck. :D

CallOn84

So, one potential backer sent a message saying that the shipping cost for the UK was £40 for four decks. I was very confused since the Bundle+ (2 decks of each edition) only costs £14 for shipping. However, the condition that created the £40 shipping cost was that he backed a Limited Edition and added 3 Limited Edition add-ons. Currently, the shipping for that is the same rate as the shipping for the reward tier and my brain somehow thought Kickstarter would adjust the shipping rates accordingly.

Major oversight on my part, and it's probably why @shunterino made the comments he/she made.

I'm currently in the middle of hashing out a potential solution. I'll let you guys know if I have something!

CallOn84

Shipping Rates Have Been Updated

I've changed the shipping rates for playing card add-ons, such as the Standard & Limited Edition add-ons, the Bundle, Bundle+, Half Brick and Full Brick.

The issue stems from the fact that Kickstarter would see an add-on as an individual addition to a pledge, which is normal but results in an issue where adding multiple playing card add-ons will give you an absurdly high shipping rate. This was a clear oversight on my behalf, and I apologise to any backers affected by this issue.

So, I've done some calculations and have set the new shipping rates for the add-ons. Below are tables for each add-on, except for the uncut sheet and the plastic playing card protector, as well as their new shipping rates.
1.png
2.png
Unfortunately, since a few backers have backed some add-ons, I cannot update the shipping rates for specific countries. The add-ons in question are the Standard & Limited Edition decks, with the US shipping rates for the Standard Edition greyed out and the US and EU shipping rates for the Limited Edition greyed out.

For backers who added an add-on before the changes to the shipping fees, we'll note this on your profile within the Backer report and issue you a partial refund to correct the shipping rates so they are more accurate once the Backer survey starts. This extends to US & EU backers who want to add a Standard or Limited Edition add-on to your pledge.

A huge thanks to Gordon, who messaged me regarding this issue, and Shunterino on United Cardists for pinpointing the problem for me.

CallOn84

We've Cancelled the Campaign

We've cancelled the campaign and will relaunch it on Tuesday at 8 AM EDT.

I think our rushing to launch on Friday was a wrong decision, and we plateaued immediately.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide feedback on the Kickstarter campaign and how it can be improved.

Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

Im really not sure what changes will reach success. I thought you had done a pretty good job getting the word out.

for a first time producer with inexpensive decks, the funding goal was a bit high.

deciding both the stock to be used and metallic inks to stretch goals...things that people would either want, or want to know is going to put a lot of people off or fence sitting.

The deck is the art that is is, its either going to grab people or its not.

Also keep in mind there is a fairly big ks going up the 30th with penguin and Stockholm 17. Not sure if campaigns can compete but…

Definitely remove all of the errors in shipping and costs.
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

The campaign shouldn't be rushed into a relaunch. You'd probably be better off shifting the campaign to be one deck for starters.

We need some high school English teachers to get a whiff of this deck.
Image@playingcardophile
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

Personally, all the white space on the court cards does not appeal to me.
shunterino

$22k is a very high target for a first time deck. That has nothing to do with the value of what you're offering, it just means 22k is too high full stop, so cut your cloth accoridingly. If you can't offer those decks for less, change what you're offering. A reasonable first time effort would be in the 6-12k region. Look at other decks of a similar standing to get a better idea of what is a reasonable target (fellow UK card designers Squiddle Ink and Beyond Playing Cards would be good examples).

One deck that's as impressive as possible is better than all the extras and bells and whistles.You're trying to do it all, and yes there are decks that do manage all of that and pull in half a million but they are established, have multiple tiers and a tuck box that turns into a dragon.

Shipping was too expensive. Not just the add ons, the basic. If that was the best price you could get, you should shop around more. And for god's sake have some decks sent to you in the UK and send those out to UK funders yourselves. There won't be that many and you can just send them from the post office for a fraction of the price (assuming Royal Mail survive their latest scandal).

There's nothing wrong with the deck itself but you put yourself in the big boy bracket that is highly unlikely to succeed unless you're actually oe of the big boys. It's got nothing to do with launching on a Friday. Yes, there have been some KS decks that have just caught the fancy of the public, but you can't assume that will happen or rely on it.

Of course I could be way off and you will be that one in a million when you relaunch with no changes. Good luck to you either way.
CallOn84

Evilgamer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:45 am Im really not sure what changes will reach success. I thought you had done a pretty good job getting the word out.

for a first time producer with inexpensive decks, the funding goal was a bit high.

deciding both the stock to be used and metallic inks to stretch goals...things that people would either want, or want to know is going to put a lot of people off or fence sitting.

The deck is the art that is is, its either going to grab people or its not.

Also keep in mind there is a fairly big ks going up the 30th with penguin and Stockholm 17. Not sure if campaigns can compete but…

Definitely remove all of the errors in shipping and costs.
So, to summarise:
  • Reduce funding goal
  • Reduce stretch goals
Regarding the funding goal, I did a bunch of calculations regarding the minimum viable product we can make for both decks, and the cost comes to $19.935 for the two designs. It's really unfortunate that Cartamundi hasn't started manufacturing yet, because their lower ordering amount would really help us get the funding goal to be even lower.

CallOn84

kevork wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:51 am The campaign shouldn't be rushed into a relaunch. You'd probably be better off shifting the campaign to be one deck for starters.

We need some high school English teachers to get a whiff of this deck.
That's something I'm considering.

CallOn84

brownsl wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 am Personally, all the white space on the court cards does not appeal to me.
Initially, we tried adding the pips to the court cards, but some were obstructed by the court card characters, the Queen of Clubs being a good example.

We're going to test somethings out and see if we can work something out.

GandalfPC
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

Look at cumpsty latest campaign (commoners v2) - the decks are high cost, which is not my suggestion, and printed by cartamundi spain which is also not suggested at the moment, but what he is trying to accomplish is apparent

it is obviously to produce store inventory - while having fans assist by getting the first decks and making sure the decks happen (those prices are pretty standard for the way he sells on his website)

there is no attempt to grab the masses, allowing for a small audience to launch it, and a large audience now or later to get it.

To manage this without the barrier high price I would go with MPC, have all the expensive print options be at “goal” levels and let it rip. gives it a higher chance of getting printed, a chance of getting printed with fancy options, and you can always print more if its “unlimited” at mpc for later supply to meet any demand

gets the decks and the fanbase going without needing to have a major enterprise behind it

not that its a get rich scheme - but it has as much chance to grow big as anything else and has a lower cost of entry

Oh, and of course marketing - which I suck at, hence it being mentioned as an afterthought (though it is purty big deal…)
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
CallOn84

shunterino wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:20 am $22k is a very high target for a first time deck. That has nothing to do with the value of what you're offering, it just means 22k is too high full stop, so cut your cloth accoridingly. If you can't offer those decks for less, change what you're offering. A reasonable first time effort would be in the 6-12k region. Look at other decks of a similar standing to get a better idea of what is a reasonable target (fellow UK card designers Squiddle Ink and Beyond Playing Cards would be good examples).

One deck that's as impressive as possible is better than all the extras and bells and whistles.You're trying to do it all, and yes there are decks that do manage all of that and pull in half a million but they are established, have multiple tiers and a tuck box that turns into a dragon.

Shipping was too expensive. Not just the add ons, the basic. If that was the best price you could get, you should shop around more. And for god's sake have some decks sent to you in the UK and send those out to UK funders yourselves. There won't be that many and you can just send them from the post office for a fraction of the price (assuming Royal Mail survive their latest scandal).

There's nothing wrong with the deck itself but you put yourself in the big boy bracket that is highly unlikely to succeed unless you're actually oe of the big boys. It's got nothing to do with launching on a Friday. Yes, there have been some KS decks that have just caught the fancy of the public, but you can't assume that will happen or rely on it.

Of course I could be way off and you will be that one in a million when you relaunch with no changes. Good luck to you either way.
As for the UK shipping thing, I can't do that myself because I do not have the storage/workspace at home to do something like that.

Otherwise, thanks for the other comments.

CallOn84

GandalfPC wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:30 am Look at cumpsty latest campaign (commoners v2) - the decks are high cost, which is not my suggestion, and printed by cartamundi spain which is also not suggested at the moment, but what he is trying to accomplish is apparent

it is obviously to produce store inventory - while having fans assist by getting the first decks and making sure the decks happen (those prices are pretty standard for the way he sells on his website)

there is no attempt to grab the masses, allowing for a small audience to launch it, and a large audience now or later to get it.

To manage this without the barrier high price I would go with MPC, have all the expensive print options be at “goal” levels and let it rip. gives it a higher chance of getting printed, a chance of getting printed with fancy options, and you can always print more if its “unlimited” at mpc for later supply to meet any demand

gets the decks and the fanbase going without needing to have a major enterprise behind it

not that its a get rich scheme - but it has as much chance to grow big as anything else and has a lower cost of entry

Oh, and of course marketing - which I suck at, hence it being mentioned as an afterthought (though it is purty big deal…)
The lowest COGS we have for USPCC is $19,935, which makes the fact that Cartamundi hasn't returned to manufacturing are sadder reality.

We'll either do one deck and keep going with USPCC or have two decks and go with MPC. There aren't many other options. I did contact LPCC just now, so I'll see what their pricing will look like.

brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

I do appreciate your engagement with the UC community!
CallOn84

brownsl wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:53 am I do appreciate your engagement with the UC community!
I do own it to you guys since you guys helped us a lot

shunterino

Legends is definitely worth looking into, as is WJPC who I believe offer various deals to first timers.
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

I’ve been curiously watching this design, wondering how well it would do on Kickstarter. Last year I did a Tudor Dynasty design that didn’t do well at all (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ra ... =user_menu). Sure, some of the reasons could have been the one-way design and the art, but I believe the main reason is it’s a theme that appeals more to women (a Shakespeare theme would as well, I think). From what I have noticed through 10+ years of Kickstarter experience is that most Backers for Playing Cards are men. Just look at the men to women ratio on UC!

I’ve had around 10 shows since the House of Tudor Decks arrived, and have already sold more Tudor Decks at shows than I sold on Kickstarter. And most of the Tudor buyers at shows are women, and none of them are Playing Card collectors.

I would definitely recommend switching to a printer like Legends or WJPC. I’ve used Legends for many years. They’re great to work with and the quality level is high and consistent. I would also recommend switching to just one Deck, the fancier full-color version.

Thanks, Randy
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

RandyButterfield wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:03 pm and none of them are Playing Card collectors.
Well maybe they are now :ugthink: :ugthink:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
mtsedwards72
Decks Owned: 58

Unread post by mtsedwards72 »

RandyButterfield wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:03 pm I’ve been curiously watching this design, wondering how well it would do on Kickstarter. Last year I did a Tudor Dynasty design that didn’t do well at all (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ra ... =user_menu). Sure, some of the reasons could have been the one-way design and the art, but I believe the main reason is it’s a theme that appeals more to women (a Shakespeare theme would as well, I think). From what I have noticed through 10+ years of Kickstarter experience is that most Backers for Playing Cards are men. Just look at the men to women ratio on UC!

I’ve had around 10 shows since the House of Tudor Decks arrived, and have already sold more Tudor Decks at shows than I sold on Kickstarter. And most of the Tudor buyers at shows are women, and none of them are Playing Card collectors.

I would definitely recommend switching to a printer like Legends or WJPC. I’ve used Legends for many years. They’re great to work with and the quality level is high and consistent. I would also recommend switching to just one Deck, the fancier full-color version.

Thanks, Randy
I am going to second this entire comment. I am a woman recently arrived to this arena of collecting from the tarot deck community. Still, I can attest to the fact that I am more drawn to the art on the faces of a deck rather than the tuck box or the feel of the cardstock or the look of the backs for tricks. But art can be had with tarot/oracle decks which is probably part of the reason there aren't a lot of female representation here.

I had a lengthier reply to this thread that oddly got eaten by the internet, so let me try to recreate what I'd originally posted:

As a KS Superbacker, I was a bit surprised at the funding goal which, compared to other campaigns, did feel a bit...ambitious. As a high school English teacher, I'd caution against expecting us to come out in full force for something like this unless you were offering a deal on a class set, and even then, most English teachers would have little use for decks in their classroom. Also, most English teachers are women and, well, see above discussion. English teachers who are also avid playing card collectors is a VERY niche group. Female English teachers who are also avid playing card collectors is an even rarer breed.I'm currently the only one I know.

All this to say, I do hope a re-launch proves more fruitful because I personally want to own this deck; I even had visions of an entire Shakespearean collection. I wish you success as you recalibrate your approach and your plans and I shall be here to support when things get sorted.
I'm not as interesting as I think I am.