King Star 2023 Mystery Decks「末那灵识」"Manas-Vijñāna" (ill. Ink)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Evilgamer
Collector: Yes

Re: King Star 2023 Mystery Decks「末那灵识」"Manas-Vijñāna"

Unread post by Evilgamer »

balrog326 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:00 pm I think it's funny it seems everyone wants the 2 Egyptian decks, myself included. To me that seems like a loss for the company since they would probably sell wayy more if the individual decks were sold rather than mystery or a full set
I dont think they expected it to be received quite the way it has been in the west, this exchange was posted on KS.
[backer]
Very disappointed that there were so few all-in slots. Pretty likely to cancel my pledge. We'll see how the campaign goes, but the odds of pulling all of the decks are too ridiculously low.

[King Star Playing CardsCreator]

Waitwaitwait,please don't T。T.

We will have a discussion and add somemore All IN later
They have done this promo in China before where I'm guessing the reception was a little better.
Timmargh
Player: Yes
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

Fenrir wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:05 pm Ideally as a group but I would potentially do individual decks.
If someone else wants the group then, of course, you should sell to them.
Fenrir
White Whale: No 17 Crown
Decks Owned: 475

Unread post by Fenrir »

Timmargh wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:55 pm
Fenrir wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:05 pm Ideally as a group but I would potentially do individual decks.
If someone else wants the group then, of course, you should sell to them.
I’ll have it aside for you and we can chat as things get closer.
STLBluesNut

Re: King Star 2023 Mystery Decks「末那灵识」"Manas-Vijñāna" (ill. Ink)

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

ok so... yeah, this campaign is pretty shitty. i missed when it came out and looking now, the tier where you can get 1 of each is gone. they only made 60 of those available. 60! 60! who knows how fast those were gone as i am just seeing the campaign now.

this leaves a pretty sour taste. for instance if you wanted just 2 of the decks, you had to either buy 2 or a bunch of mystery decks or buy 7 for $135. as it stands now with 164 backers, 75 did not back mystery tiers and the rest did so there, unfortunately, is some demand for this mystery BS. also evident with other producers and resellers that do mystery offerings and sell out. sadly, i expect this mystery, money grab strategy still occurring in the future.
Fenrir

Unread post by Fenrir »

STLBluesNut wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:55 am ok so... yeah, this campaign is pretty shitty. i missed when it came out and looking now, the tier where you can get 1 of each is gone. they only made 60 of those available. 60! 60! who knows how fast those were gone as i am just seeing the campaign now.

this leaves a pretty sour taste. for instance if you wanted just 2 of the decks, you had to either buy 2 or a bunch of mystery decks or buy 7 for $135. as it stands now with 164 backers, 75 did not back mystery tiers and the rest did so there, unfortunately, is some demand for this mystery BS. also evident with other producers and resellers that do mystery offerings and sell out. sadly, i expect this mystery, money grab strategy still occurring in the future.
Their comments have indicated they are going to add more all-in tiers during the campaign. Just FYI.
slickster

Unread post by slickster »

STLBluesNut wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:55 am ok so... yeah, this campaign is pretty shitty. i missed when it came out and looking now, the tier where you can get 1 of each is gone. they only made 60 of those available. 60! 60! who knows how fast those were gone as i am just seeing the campaign now.

That “full” tier was available for about an hour. Btw as they made only 500 of the “rarest” deck (transcendence) even 75 of the “full” tier is a lot because when they'll make another full add on for another 75 people, the probability of getting this transcendence deck from mystery pack will be about 2% and that is really low. That will either skyrocket the price of the transcendence or people might not want to buy mystery packs any more because of the low probability. (Because, let's be honest, most of the people buying mystery pack want the rarest deck.)
STLBluesNut

Fenrir wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:18 am

Their comments have indicated they are going to add more all-in tiers during the campaign. Just FYI.
cool, thank you. i think i would still hesitate to support this kind of campaign.

i wonder if i can word this properly but i have thought about this often. i would like to think of myself as a man of principle, at the very least in some areas some of the time ;) . i find myself, especially in recent years, not buying/supporting many products or companies for various reasons on principle because i disagree with something. in cases where companies are becoming increasingly political or something as simple as not supporting a KS campaign because i disagree with a particular sales method or tier set up. while sometimes, if enough people do it, it does have an impact and precipitates a change and sometimes it does not. is it worth denying oneself the use of a product or service to try and make a point for the ideal of standing on principle?

this project, for example, as this is the thread we are in. this project has already funded, at this time about 400%, without me pledging. regardless of if i pledge or not, they get the money, produce the decks and likely count it as a success. in light of this comment by kingstar ''The annual mysterious deck is our traditional plan, which will be held every year, so we can't change the way these cards are sold,'' i doubt my non purchase will affect anything in the future. even if many more were to not support this project. they did add a tier to buy one of each deck, which is not clear if they had already planned to do so or if it was a result of many opinions in this discussion earlier. is it worth not buying on principle? this is obviously a personal question and would have as many different responses as responders.

i suppose standing on principle has the implied connotation that it is done regardless of outcome or change affected or done even though a bad outcome is likely/possible. in this case i suppose there isnt much of a bad outcome but in others, the outcome for standing on principle could be as extreme as arrest, imprisonment or even death. just something i have asked myself on several occasions. this may not be super relevant to the topic at hand and i dont wish to derail but i have already typed it so here it is lol.
STLBluesNut

slickster wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:03 pm That “full” tier was available for about an hour. Btw as they made only 500 of the “rarest” deck (transcendence) even 75 of the “full” tier is a lot because when they'll make another full add on for another 75 people, the probability of getting this transcendence deck from mystery pack will be about 2% and that is really low. That will either skyrocket the price of the transcendence or people might not want to buy mystery packs any more because of the low probability. (Because, let's be honest, most of the people buying mystery pack want the rarest deck.)
that did go quick. ironically, the transcendence deck, for me, is probably the one i like least. maybe i will just wait. i know of at least one website i have bought from in the past that has offered kingstar mystery decks as opened so you know which you are getting. i guess after looking at the campaign there are really only 3 that i want. judgement, radiance and fracture.
zlexander

Unread post by zlexander »

Fenrir wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:05 pm
Timmargh wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:07 am
Fenrir wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:00 pm I backed the whole set but really only want the Egyptian decks. I’ll offload the rest if anyone wants.
All the rest or individual decks? I'll take Fracture off your hands off it's the latter.
Ideally as a group but I would potentially do individual decks.
I also like the Egyptian decks the most , those had a potential to be offered in a boxset tbh .

Also if you would be interested in selling I like the transendence deck , actually I would like to take all the other 3 foiled decks if the price is good . Not much into the anime theme decks
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

I like Judgment, Radiance, and Rebirth. Transcendence is one of those decks where the idea is great (like Limbo), but the execution never really pans out as impactful as the original idea.

I'm happy to pass on this campaign and let others grab what's available. I like the discussion the campaign is spurring. Love when our forum can get like this.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
e10li

Unread post by e10li »

If you do end up dropping your all-in tier, I'd be interested in picking it up
Fenrir

Unread post by Fenrir »

zlexander wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:59 pm
Fenrir wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:05 pm
Timmargh wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:07 am
Fenrir wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:00 pm I backed the whole set but really only want the Egyptian decks. I’ll offload the rest if anyone wants.
All the rest or individual decks? I'll take Fracture off your hands off it's the latter.
Ideally as a group but I would potentially do individual decks.
I also like the Egyptian decks the most , those had a potential to be offered in a boxset tbh .

Also if you would be interested in selling I like the transendence deck , actually I would like to take all the other 3 foiled decks if the price is good . Not much into the anime theme decks
Radiance wouldn’t be available. The only ones not spoken for would be, Rebirth, Frost, Blaze and Transcendence. Timmaraugh has dibs on Fracture.
Evilgamer

from the "I doubt this helps too many people" category
We have decided to add 5 all-ins, 5 Ultra Collections, and 5 all-ins in add-ons. This will fulfill everyone's different requests on what they want to back. This WILL NOT change the average current odds that you see, and here is why:

We have already packaged up all the mystery decks, so we are going to open up decks until we have built out the 15 more full sets. This is how dedicated we are to fulfilling your requests. We will keep all the extras from this opening in our storage, and not distributed. We are committed to bringing you the best project experiences, which is why we chose to do this.

The 15 various full sets will be added accordingly on the upcoming weekend, Saturday 2/10 @11AM EST. This is truly as much as we can offer, so please be there and once it's sold out we really cannot add more.

One more limited item will be added on at the same time: The Cloud and Sea Light Box
zlexander

Unread post by zlexander »

Fenrir wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:16 am
zlexander wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:59 pm I also like the Egyptian decks the most , those had a potential to be offered in a boxset tbh .

Radiance wouldn’t be available. The only ones not spoken for would be, Rebirth, Frost, Blaze and Transcendence. Timmaraugh has dibs on Fracture.
I would like to take Transendence and Rebirth
krystalie
White Whale: Gothik By Ian Daniels

Unread post by krystalie »

zlexander wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:14 am
Fenrir wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:16 am Radiance wouldn’t be available. The only ones not spoken for would be, Rebirth, Frost, Blaze and Transcendence. Timmaraugh has dibs on Fracture.
I would like to take Transendence and Rebirth
I would like the half brick box if possible
Sell/Trade | P52(WIP) | Buy | In sooth I know not why I am so sad
Fenrir

Unread post by Fenrir »

krystalie wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:38 am
zlexander wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:14 am I would like to take Transendence and Rebirth
Not possible unfortunately. I have cancelled my pledge.
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

STLBluesNut wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:09 pm regardless of if i pledge or not, they get the money, produce the decks and likely count it as a success. in light of this comment by kingstar ''The annual mysterious deck is our traditional plan, which will be held every year, so we can't change the way these cards are sold,'' i doubt my non purchase will affect anything in the future. even if many more were to not support this project. they did add a tier to buy one of each deck, which is not clear if they had already planned to do so or if it was a result of many opinions in this discussion earlier. is it worth not buying on principle?

i suppose standing on principle has the implied connotation that it is done regardless of outcome or change affected or done even though a bad outcome is likely/possible.
If your principle is "I don't wish to buy products from sellers who use tactics that I disagree with"... then it seems to me that the answer is pretty simple. Don't buy the deck, and it shouldn't matter to you whether the deck exists for other people or not. Your integrity in upholding this principle is directly proportional to how much you would otherwise desire that product. (If you feel that the product sucks anyway, then you don't get much credit for sticking to your principles!!!) If you decide that you just have to have the product anyway, then I'm sorry, but you've sold out your principle.

[Edited]: If your principle is "Sellers who use tactics that I disagree with should go out of business"... then that's a different story. I apologize if my original version of this second thought was controversial. :o
Keep it Sizzlin'!
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

[One comment trimmed]
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
krystalie

Fenrir wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:57 am
krystalie wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:38 am
zlexander wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:14 am I would like to take Transendence and Rebirth
Not possible unfortunately. I have cancelled my pledge.
Oh that is unfortunate, is it because its too expensive? If anyone else is letting go of the half brick box here in UC please let me know!
STLBluesNut

th4mo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:38 pm
STLBluesNut wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:09 pm ...
If your principle is "I don't wish to buy products from sellers who use tactics that I disagree with"... then it seems to me that the answer is pretty simple. Don't buy the deck, and it shouldn't matter to you whether the deck exists for other people or not. Your integrity in upholding this principle is directly proportional to how much you would otherwise desire that product. (If you feel that the product sucks anyway, then you don't get much credit for sticking to your principles!!!) If you decide that you just have to have the product anyway, then I'm sorry, but you've sold out your principle.

[Edited]: If your principle is "Sellers who use tactics that I disagree with should go out of business"... then that's a different story. I apologize if my original version of this second thought was controversial. :o
''If your principle is "I don't wish to buy products from sellers who use tactics that I disagree with"'' yeah, that's pretty much it. in the playing card realm, there is generally not an intent to harm a creator or make them go out of business. however, in some cases, perhaps if enough people do not buy, or in the off case that a creator does see a post or discussion, it may affect future sales, campaigns, designs. i pretty much agree with the rest of what you say.
Evilgamer

These finally started shipping, mine came in today.

I may take some pictures in a few days (but under the weather) but in general the decks just reinforce why Im not a huge fan of the 1st party decks from the Chinese makers

The "common" decks feel cheap, but not bad, but starts to show off the overall issue I have with Chinese producers, low quality (compared to someone like S17 or TWI) original art. I dont mean that the designs are bad, just that the character details are completely lost. Ive had this issue with every ARK deck I own and almost all the hiddenlight/kingstar decks. the recent TWI kingstar revenant while also not a super detail deck (by design) is MUCH better art quality than any of these.

the 3 more limited decks show they can really print a good deck when they need to, but those are also held back by very unclear art, some of which is shared with the less limited versions

the most limited "transencence" is probably the most successful specifically because the court arts is ethereal and there never were any fine details to the figures.
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

I only have one pair of Ark decks - After Sound, and I am pretty happy with the character details of the Courts
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
Evilgamer

IMG_6112.jpeg
IMG_6112.jpeg (258.59 KiB) Viewed 208 times
IMG_6114.jpeg
IMG_6114.jpeg (257.86 KiB) Viewed 208 times
IMG_6113.jpeg
IMG_6113.jpeg (281.45 KiB) Viewed 208 times
krystalie

That K spade looks cooked.
kevork
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

krystalie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:10 pm That K spade looks cooked.
That's when you like your art like you like your eggs. Scrambled.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks