Notorious Gambling Frog by Stockholm 17

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
kevork
Collector: Yes
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: Notorious Gambling Frog by Stockholm 17

Unread post by kevork »

Given the three jokers, I wonder if we'll see one more coloration of this series, with the frog standing in a different pose on the tuck.
Image@playingcardophile
Invisible ink. Who woulda thunk it?
[BUY] Complete Lotrek Collection
[BUY] NPCCD Decks
EndersGame
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by EndersGame »

Love the gilded versions of this.
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Seems like I have to open one of mine as well. Your pictures have wheten my appetite @hsbc. Copper gilding with the orange is always a stellar combo for me. My standard one has evolved the click after the second day opened. I hope it'll go away like y'all have reported. Other than the click the handling was great. Love it. Snappy, responsive, great glide... WJPC is definitely en par with the best LPCC and EPCC decks - hands down.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
manu

Unread post by manu »

The Notorious Gambling Frog - 7Th Anniversary Golden Edition
RarePlayingCards

NotoriousGamblingFrog-1_26218263-48a8-414b-bb26-cadbc87d01ec_1024x1024@2x.jpg
NotoriousGamblingFrog-2_bfe6d8f9-6ea1-48e3-813a-f22a2b7d6a54_1024x1024@2x.jpg
NotoriousGamblingFrog-19_1024x1024@2x.jpg
NotoriousGamblingFrog-13_1024x1024@2x.jpg
♠️ ♦️ ♣️ β™₯️ Photos of Cards (Instagram) | Card Fans Generator
Harvonsgard

I'm usually not the biggest fan of die-cut tuckboxes but since it has a window at the front I would've loved a diamond shaped cut-out on the back as well. The yellow glow from the card back would be a nice touch to the otherwise pretty dark black.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

My golden frog came today! It looks really good, I don't know if I'll wait and keep the gilded Patreon edition when it comes instead of opening this standard deck.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Mine came in as well. I think they are okay, but definitely not Cartamundi's cold foil.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

the frog is definitely my least favorite lorenzo deck. imo, it is unfortunate that it is one of the decks in last year's and this year's patreon rewards.
Harvonsgard

You're always free to send the 🐸s to me. I can't have enough of them. Yes, the courts are standard but they look good opposed to e.g. Bicycle, Copag or Arrco courts. I like the back a lot as well. Most importantly they are not on Cartamundi's shit B9 stock, which unfortunately (for me) is Lorenzo's go-to for his big releases.

Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

I prefer the foiling that WJPC did on these to what Cartamundi does. It's less muddled and more detail comes through.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I couldn't resist, I'm pleased with the deck. The eyes and wings pop, nice golden edges.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
TheGentlemanWake
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

Adamthinks wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:35 pm I prefer the foiling that WJPC did on these to what Cartamundi does. It's less muddled and more detail comes through.
I agree. I think it’s the linen deboss on Cartamundi decks that makes the foil harder to appreciate.
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

I have resisted the frogs in the past which has required un-toad-like restraint as I am a massive Wind In The Willows fan but these foil backs are very tempting.
I reckon Ernest Shepard would have done a good Notorious Gambling Toad
Attachments
Toad.jpg
Toad.jpg (24.75 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
Toad driver.jpg
Toad driver.jpg (382.98 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
Harvonsgard

TheGentlemanWake wrote: ↑Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:48 pm I agree. I think it’s the linen deboss on Cartamundi decks that makes the foil harder to appreciate.
Spot on. While I don't think they'll move away from the linen deboss, I still keep my fingers crossed that they'll somehow improve this with the move to Spain.

Disenchanted_11

Unread post by Disenchanted_11 »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: ↑Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:48 pm
Adamthinks wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:35 pm I prefer the foiling that WJPC did on these to what Cartamundi does. It's less muddled and more detail comes through.
I agree. I think it’s the linen deboss on Cartamundi decks that makes the foil harder to appreciate.
I'm curious by this statement.

Before, you say Cartamundi is of the highest quality, and now it isn't? I know perspective can change as new discoveries happen, but are you now saying that the foiling on your past and upcoming projects (Goldsmith?) with Cartamundi is hard to appreciate? Or are you just saying this to back on Goundskeeper switch?

Like some people are saying, big names are using WJPC but it doesn't mean it's because of quality. And another one said you would've gone straight to WJPC if the quality is better without getting forced by Cartamundi situation.
GandalfPC
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

I certainly think Cartamundi are highest quality, but I don’t know if that means that they are superior in all things, sometimes its a trade off between registration, handling, cold or hot foil, mylar, metal inks - no one wins all hands down.
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Drewser

Unread post by Drewser »

Disenchanted_11 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:38 pm
TheGentlemanWake wrote: ↑Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:48 pm
I'm curious by this statement.

Before, you say Cartamundi is of the highest quality, and now it isn't? I know perspective can change as new discoveries happen, but are you now saying that the foiling on your past and upcoming projects (Goldsmith?) with Cartamundi is hard to appreciate? Or are you just saying this to back on Goundskeeper switch?

Like some people are saying, big names are using WJPC but it doesn't mean it's because of quality. And another one said you would've gone straight to WJPC if the quality is better without getting forced by Cartamundi situation.
Agreed. People will sometimes say whatever they think it takes to sell decks. The Groundskeeper video update of the printer change is a good example of it. Cartamundi was down-played while up-selling WJPCC quality. I don't think that WJPCC is horrible but I think that it's not on 'par' with Cartamundi or USPCC. People can decide by comparing for themselves instead of taking the opinion of someone who is trying to sell WJPCC. Here is an interesting article about WJPCC:
https://playingcarddecks.com/blogs/all- ... mpany-wjpc
Harvonsgard

I didn't put WJPC decks through the ringer like USPCC or Cartamundi decks due to the lack of having much WJPC. Those I have, are en par with Cartamundi - handlingwise - which, on another note, I personally don't see en par with USPCC. Longevity-wise Cartamundi decks become way too soft and lose snap after a couple of days; in that regard I have even better experiences with WJPC.

Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

That article says very little negative about WJPC other than "they learned by making a few mistakes early on" .

They also didn't "talk down" cartamundi on anything other than "when would we get these printed? we dont know and they cant tell us". Dont forget that it wasnt until OMAR CALLED THEM ABOUT DECKS HE WAS DUE THAT WEEK that he even found out about Cartamundi moving shop, and that it would probably be months before he saw them, thats not good customer service.

Did you also remember the timeframes that WJPC was quoting wyrmwood/TGW in that same video? I think to some producers, TWI for example, being able to turn around a LOT Of projects really quick is just as important if not more than price, and Giovanni definitely isn't selling every deck for $15 and working margins either....

Also do you remember that Omar didnt really comment until he had WJPC decks in hand to compare, and that he COULD tell the difference but that it was purely a preference thing.

Look, we get that. you like Cartamundi but until they get the Spain factory up and running, at full production rate and quality which could very well be this time next year for all anyone knows, Other printers are going to be used, If everything starts up in December and January they're firing on all cylinders, I dont think anyone is going to be sad about that. Im pretty sure I saw somewhere that USPCC is less willing to do custom decks. Most producers (some like Jocu feel they have to stick with Cartamundi for series prints) will be printing elsewhere until that happens, you cant expect the industry to just ...stop and wait on Cartamundi.
Ocelot
Decks Owned: 20

Unread post by Ocelot »

I just got these decks yesterday, and I don't know if I am crazy or not, but these feel so good in the hands. Shuffling with these is a dream. I'm not great in my knowledge of card stock, but whatever this is, I want more decks like it.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Ocelot wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:58 am I just got these decks yesterday, and I don't know if I am crazy or not, but these feels so good in the hands. Shuffling with these is a dream. I'm not great in my knowledge of card stock, but whatever this is, I want more decks like it.
That's been my experience with this deck, as well. These are simply fantastic.
This space intentionally left blank.
Ocelot
Decks Owned: 20

Unread post by Ocelot »

rousselle wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am
Ocelot wrote: ↑Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:58 am I just got these decks yesterday, and I don't know if I am crazy or not, but these feels so good in the hands. Shuffling with these is a dream. I'm not great in my knowledge of card stock, but whatever this is, I want more decks like it.
That's been my experience with this deck, as well. These are simply fantastic.
Thank goodness I am not the only one. I am definitely contemplating snagging an entire brick of these for card games. I rotate my decks every day, but I keep coming back to these and shuffling them because they just feel so good. Highly underrated cards by S17.