Scent Hound Poker Deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
NellyMScribes

Scent Hound Poker Deck

Unread post by NellyMScribes »

Hello.

I'm designing a poker deck that I plan to fund through Kickstarter. I've never done a Kickstarter before, so that will be new to me. I'd like some feedback on the back design and the tuck box as well as the Phenakistiscope card.

For the tuckbox, I may do a cutout, so the back card can be seen through the cutout. If I don't do the cutout, would the design still work? or should I re-think it?

The back side design of the cards has art of a running dog that looks similar to a Phenakistiscope.

I was thinking of putting in an extra card that has the Phenakistiscope cutout so the back card could be used as a literal Phenakistiscope. How would that even work though? Would I have to make a die/punch for that card? I'm going through the USCC - and I'm not sure they can do that. Would that even be worth it?

The goal of this deck is to hep raise money for a local rescue. It's also a way for me to have a creative outlet.

I've attached 2 jpegs that show the design. This is my first time posting on this site, so hopefully I did it correctly.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Attachments
Hounds_PokerDeck_Rough_Examples2.jpg
Hounds_PokerDeck_Rough_Examples1.jpg
GandalfPC
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Re: Scent Hound Poker Deck

Unread post by GandalfPC »

I like it - but I look for more integration of the art and card value now adays
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Honeybee
White Whale: Blk prototype Aviator Heritage
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

I REALLY like the option 1 backs. One reservation with the back is that I am not a fan of upside down writing. SSH which is going to read HSS upside down is something I would like to view (it may not work but I would like to see if it did)
Now the faces were a big let down - I want artwork not photos
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
NellyMScribes

Unread post by NellyMScribes »

Thanks Honeybee for the feedback. I had worried about the upside down text as well. I have an earlier version before I added it, but it felt like the filigree was too busy. I may play around with it more though, depending on the feedback I get.

For the faces, my original idea was to create artwork based off the individual dogs, but my art was looking more cartoonish, and it wasn't the look I was going for. I wanted to capture the personalities of the dogs, and I felt the compositions did that better. Since this deck is going to benefit the dogs, it seemed logical to include them in the artwork. I'd like to see what other people think about that the faces. I had considered hiring an artist that could do a better job than I. If the faces get a lot of negative feedback, I may go that route.

Thanks again for the feedback. This is only the 2nd deck I've done, so I'm pretty new to it.
Honeybee wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:37 pm I REALLY like the option 1 backs. One reservation with the back is that I am not a fan of upside down writing. SSH which is going to read HSS upside down is something I would like to view (it may not work but I would like to see if it did)
Now the faces were a big let down - I want artwork not photos
DestinationQ1
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 450

Unread post by DestinationQ1 »

The club symbol could be a paw print