The Successor by TGW/Kevin Cantrell

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Sir Toddalot
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Re: The Successor by TGW/Kevin Cantrell

Unread post by Sir Toddalot »

I really like every single edition, and do think each deck is unique enough to justify it existing. They are definitely a lot better than just simple recolors a lot of people do. I’m probably different than most people in that I do enjoy have several different editions. However, I will admit that it is very hard for me to financially justify backing as much as I am, and would almost certainly back more if this had been 2 separate campaigns. I realize that’s probably not as practical from a business aspect though. I think TWI does a good job of making multiple editions, but not making them available all at once, and making them significantly different.
“An open mind is like to an open wound, vulnerable to poison. Liable to fester. Apt to give its owner only pain.”

-Sand Dan Glokta, The First Law
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by TheGentlemanWake »

Sir Toddalot wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:58 pm I really like every single edition, and do think each deck is unique enough to justify it existing. They are definitely a lot better than just simple recolors a lot of people do. I’m probably different than most people in that I do enjoy have several different editions. However, I will admit that it is very hard for me to financially justify backing as much as I am, and would almost certainly back more if this had been 2 separate campaigns. I realize that’s probably not as practical from a business aspect though. I think TWI does a good job of making multiple editions, but not making them available all at once, and making them significantly different.
Thanks for the advice. I do think that it gets lost on the community that I haven’t really been doing this as long as Lorenzo, Jackson or Gio. This project might’ve been too ambitious for a third release. I realize that now. I was enamored and committed to the idea of producing this ultra luxury box set and didn’t weigh out the monumental effort entailed in pulling it off. Having said that i think I’m handling it so far. It really is two campaigns in one. The successor ambigram decks are almost a different edition altogether. Still things happened as they did. Too late to change course. Gotta push through.
For the best in playing cards related content:

https://www.wake.video/youtube
hsbc
Player: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:49 pmThis project was too ambitious for a third release.
??? You funded in like ten minutes?? :ugthink: :ugthink:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Don't lose sight of the fact that this is a 270K campaign! By all measures a rousing success which you should be enjoying. If you get most/all those boxes sold, you've won. I believe in you!
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

hsbc wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:53 pm
TheGentlemanWake wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:49 pmThis project was too ambitious for a third release.
??? You funded in like ten minutes?? :ugthink: :ugthink:
Five minutes! But yeah. I understand your point. Haha.

Sir Toddalot

I do really like this campaign, and am backing it as much as I can! I’ll probably also pick more up later on backerkit and your online shop if I get chance. Your Dynastiyne decks are some of my favorite in my collection, and I certainly plan on being there for all your future campaigns. What I’m trying to say is you do amazing work, you clearly put a lot of time and effort into making quality products, and I think everyone knows that. I think you’re definitely going to get there!
“An open mind is like to an open wound, vulnerable to poison. Liable to fester. Apt to give its owner only pain.”

hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:45 am Legacy edition. ... It is a version of the Imperial Black with Black Edge Printing
What will the edge printing be?

Sir Toddalot wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:12 pm ... and am backing it as much as I can!
Same, even at $189 I'm spending well above what I usually do (I think I'm the outlier here though :lol: ), I'm trying to decide whether I can justify the new Legacy edition. I'm even torn about adding a $9 uncut Prism tuck (I probably will, that's an amazing price)

Do I wish I could easily afford the whole set? Of course, I think almost everyone here would back it if they had the cash :lol: Will I be happy to have Monarch White and Dynastinae Rex anyway? Yes :D
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

That is a good point. I would back the top tier if I had the cash. But even the 3-deck $55 EB is pushing it for my budget.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

hsbc wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:23 pm I think almost everyone here would back it if they had the cash
you left some wiggle room with ''almost everyone'' i suppose. i have the cash and will not back due to issues previously discussed at length. i would love to back but the tier structure does not allow me to do so.
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

STLBluesNut wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:48 pm
hsbc wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:23 pm I think almost everyone here would back it if they had the cash
you left some wiggle room with ''almost everyone'' i suppose. i have the cash and will not back due to issues previously discussed at length. i would love to back but the tier structure does not allow me to do so.
+1 I'm ready to give the campaign more money for stuff I actually want but not for a box I don't want or need which kinda sucks since I might up cancelling my pledge in the end
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

hsbc wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:23 pm

What will the edge printing be?

They edge print a color on the side. It’s not shiny like gilded edges. But Mayte. Ondrej did it on the B&W butterfly. Seen here.
999D1008-1AAA-49A0-837A-CB33A59390A3.png
999D1008-1AAA-49A0-837A-CB33A59390A3.png (79.81 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
Here’s a rough mock of what the cards will look like.
999D1008-1AAA-49A0-837A-CB33A59390A3.png
999D1008-1AAA-49A0-837A-CB33A59390A3.png (79.81 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
Attachments
EAE8610B-E27C-48C7-A7FF-B7D93AB08AF9.png

TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

bdawg923 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:55 pm
STLBluesNut wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:48 pm
+1 I'm ready to give the campaign more money for stuff I actually want but not for a box I don't want or need which kinda sucks since I might up cancelling my pledge in the end
Well what I can say is that it looks likely that we will have both green and white decks for add-on post campaign. And I’m almost assuredly offering all prism backers an ungilded display prism deck in plain tuck. Waiting on Cartamundi price quote

hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

TheGentlemanWake wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:00 pmThey edge print a color on the side
Ohh okay, so just a solid black like the new Labyrinthium?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

i think i like the edge printing better. when i first started collecting, almost 4 years ago?, gilding was neat and done sparingly. since, gilding is all the rage and way too many decks that don't need it get a gilded version. i have been kind of over it. with edge printing you can also do a design or word, something other than a solid color. this of course, not great once shuffled.
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

I know you're done talking about the box, so feel free to ignore me but in the future if you end up doing a box for a different campaign, can you at least have a tier with more decks and no box? I was comparing the tempest tier to the sarcophagus tier
521C6AE6-B2BD-4EB8-9C87-6EDC6478AA2E.jpeg
And I know it's not a direct comparison, but the price of the tiers are close enough so it's a quick and dirty comparison, but basically the box in this campaign is worth 9 decks in the tempest campaign. (yes I know it's not a direct comparison). But I would definitely have backed a tier with 9 extra decks over a tier with no box. Would be nice to have the option at least. Whoever loves the box could pick the box tier, whoever doesn't could pick the decks tier. (yes I know it's the vision for the campaign so like I said, ignore me, just a suggestion for the future)
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

bdawg923 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:25 pm I know you're done talking about the box, so feel free to ignore me but in the future if you end up doing a box for a different campaign, can you at least have a tier with more decks and no box? I was comparing the tempest tier to the sarcophagus tier

521C6AE6-B2BD-4EB8-9C87-6EDC6478AA2E.jpeg

And I know it's not a direct comparison, but the price of the tiers are close enough so it's a quick and dirty comparison, but basically the box in this campaign is worth 9 decks in the tempest campaign. (yes I know it's not a direct comparison). But I would definitely have backed a tier with 9 extra decks over a tier with no box. Would be nice to have the option at least. Whoever loves the box could pick the box tier, whoever doesn't could pick the decks tier. (yes I know it's the vision for the campaign so like I said, ignore me, just a suggestion for the future)
I appreciate the feedback. I'll keep it in mind moving forward.

hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Congrats on hitting 1,000 backers :D
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
masagin303

Unread post by masagin303 »

So now I realized that there's no design for the brick box unless the campaign hits 350%. That's pretty unfortunate because I hoped I will add another beautiful brick to the TGW series and 350% seems unreachable at the moment. :(
Remember Earth clearly.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

masagin303 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:47 pm So now I realized that there's no design for the brick box unless the campaign hits 350%. That's pretty unfortunate because I hoped I will add another beautiful brick to the TGW series and 350% seems unreachable at the moment. :(
We have a Ks exclusive coming that will give us a nice boost. Then we’ll see what happens. There is a design for the brick box. It’s done. If the funding gets closer to 300. I May pull the trigger on it and just bite the bullet to get it printed.

hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

The Successor LEGACY Kickstarter Exclusive Edition!

Hello backers! Some exciting news I want to bring you. We wanted to reward backers with a chance to own a Successor variant that WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE DURING THE CAMPAIGN: The Successor LEGACY Kickstarter Exclusive Edition. This edition of the deck is a new offering that will feature a tuck box printed on premium gold paper and include an unique outer sleeve designed JUST for this deck. Additionally the cards within, a based on the Successor Imperial Black edition, will have BLACK EDGE printing giving the cards a stark and powerful look. The decks ARE AVAILABLE TO BE ADDED-ON NOW! They are priced at $31 and there is no limit to how many can be added BUT, once again, the Legacy edition will never be sold at retail. Best of all, SHIPPING IS FREE TO EVERYONE on this add-on.

We know backers really want to unlock some stretch goals that seem a bit distant at the moment. We want to see them unlocked too which is why we're moving the goalpost on a few of them. The bolded and italicized items below have been moved up in the stretch-goal schedule. ADDITIONALLY, we plan to honor these stretch goals even if they are met during the post-campaign survey stage. I will continue to post updates here on the campaign during that stage to keep everyone in the know. So if you are hoping to unlock the brick box it behooves us all to get those brick-box add-on pledges in NOW!

LOCKED 300 % funding goal: Free Successor coin unlocked. Gorgeously designed custom brick box for all brick box tiers or brick add-ons (Moved from 350%).
LOCKED 350 % funding goal: Metal Successor Card unlocked, Extra Pantone PMS Colors unlocked for Blue/Red editions. The Crown Prince Successor mini-deck unlocked. The Prism edition will be updated to have unique typography on the tuck case front (Moved from 400%).

Due to popular demand we have decided to send every Sarcophagus Tier backer a free un-gilded Successor Prism display deck. The decks will likely come in a plain white tuck box although we are exploring some options for a branded tuck. This is a great way for owners of Prism decks to enjoy the artwork and prismatic cold foil on the cards without cracking the cellophane on their highly limited Prism edition.
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Good move with the free shipping.
Now get this campaign to $333,332 already, haha.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Harvonsgard wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:50 pm Good move with the free shipping.
Now get this campaign to $333,332 already, haha.
It's a small measure to repay the overages on the shipping to the few backers who were affected. If i can do more I will.

TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

For those who haven’t seen the tuck artwork on the Legacy edition
F84CA67E-5810-4B86-8D5E-D35F1BAED5D2.png
F84CA67E-5810-4B86-8D5E-D35F1BAED5D2.png (465.85 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
3E890B53-A888-484B-A838-83A9021593EB.png

laitostarr777
Magician: Yes
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

Oh cmon :(
I though this campaign is rock solid already that it doesn’t need more editions….

I pray this new edition be available on Backerkit, because I can’t afford to add more right now
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

Are the improvements that were planned for the black edition now going to the legacy edition instead?
TheGentlemanWake
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

PrincessTrouble wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:48 pm Are the improvements that were planned for the black edition now going to the legacy edition instead?
No. The card backs are being refined. And the purple on the tuck is being switched with blue.

Sir Toddalot

Well, as much as I was hoping we could unlock the custom brick box, I’m getting optimistic about winning the uncut tuck!

Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

How high are we currently (yes, I'm too lazy to check)?
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

$272,999, 995 backers, 9 days left
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Sir Toddalot

There’s been a bit of fluctuation, but sadly can’t seem to ever break past 280k. I believe the high was around 279k.