2019 'Deck of the Year' Awards: DISCUSSION

Featuring our favourite decks including winners of the Decks Of The Year awards and the Annual United Cardists Decks
Timmargh
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Re: 2019 'Deck of the Year' Awards: DISCUSSION

Unread post by Timmargh »

furrukhjamal wrote:am I the only one who is looking forward to the 14th Feb winners announcement more than the valentines day?
I doubt it highly.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

furrukhjamal wrote:am I the only one who is looking forward to the 14th Feb winners announcement more than the valentines day?
Nope, your not alone. Valentines day is ... zzzZ. I don't need the flower industry and marketing agencies to tell me when I buy flowers for my wife. Same goes for Mother's day and all the other artificial fake consumerism holidays. I'd rather celebrate National Tight-end day with Travis Kelce and Kittle (sorry bro forgot your first name - not a 49ers fan) :lol: .
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Seriously people, give us an update on what your prizes are going to be, so many TBD's and TBA's on the prize list.

Amy is announcing the giveaway winners tomorrow. Would be kinda nice for the winners to know what all the
possible prizes are going to be or even if they still are being given away.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
saulriffel
White Whale: STEVE MINTY Z
Decks Owned: 310

Unread post by saulriffel »

Reading all the last comments, I think I should have skipped a few categories, but at the time that didn't occur to me.
I'm new here, but I noticed that a lot of people here don't like a few things about the whole playing cards scene (like cardistry, but more like the playing cards made exclusively for cardistry), and even some brands. Could someone explain it to me? (if not the place please ignore)
Personally, I started collecting in 2008 and when I went to college in 2012 I kinda stopped, and a couple of years ago I started again and found the playing card communities, and noticed that there is a big hype around cardistry (not that this is a problem) but with that, a few brands that I never heard of started to make decks that I don't find attractive, and sometimes with (what looks like) lazy designs, so when I saw that most of these brands that people get crazy about in social media weren't in the DOTY's it made me happy (besides, was a good way to discover new amazing decks), and now reading a few comments here i got that impression (and in other threads).
att. Saul Riffel Instsgram: baloocards
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

All decks get hyped in their own way by designers/producers. Most folks in here don't get too excited about major hype stuff like Fontaines and NOC's. Not that some of us don't have them, they are just not a big deal in most of our collections. The forum does have it's roots in cardistry, but most here now are collectors and not cardists. While I am personally not that into cardistry, I do appreciate really well designed decks for cardistry. Unfortunately, as you say, there are a lot of lazy cardistry design rather than clever cardistry design.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Timmargh

Räpylätassu wrote:Seriously people, give us an update on what your prizes are going to be, so many TBD's and TBA's on the prize list.

Amy is announcing the giveaway winners tomorrow. Would be kinda nice for the winners to know what all the
I was thinking the same.

On a related note I discovered that I (stupidly) sold my sealed Lunatica Chimera - I had two and thought they were both sealed but my remaining one isn't*. Apologies to whomever chooses my giveaway!

* The cellophane is still intact but there is no sticker over the tuck flap.
Harvonsgard

saulriffel wrote:I think I should have skipped a few categories, but at the time that didn't occur to me.
Keep in mind that this (without any offense) is just a community vote about decks of cards. You're not voting for your Supreme Leader here :lol: . So skipping or not skipping categories is totally up to you and it should be a descision made solely by yourself. If you don't care for a category but you feel like you like a deck, vote for it. If not, perfectly fine as well.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
arjun1616
Magician: Yes
White Whale: regalia
Decks Owned: 20

Unread post by arjun1616 »

Timmargh wrote:
Räpylätassu wrote:Seriously people, give us an update on what your prizes are going to be, so many TBD's and TBA's on the prize list.

I was thinking the same.

On a related note I discovered that I (stupidly) sold my sealed Lunatica Chimera - I had two and thought they were both sealed but my remaining one isn't*. Apologies to whomever chooses my giveaway!

* The cellophane is still intact but there is no sticker over the tuck flap.
no big deal... in fac the person that gets the prize should be stoked to have those lol
ok
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

I agree with everyone else announcing their contents...
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Timmargh

theCapraAegagrus wrote:I agree with everyone else announcing their contents...
Well, yeah; announcing yours would take all the fun out of watching your packing/abusing video and making us all go "Ooh, no!! That's gotta hurt!!"
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

theCapraAegagrus, I am sorry to say you have nothing on my son and what he and his buddies did to a deck of Heretic playing cards when he was 12. One of these days, I am going to photograph what is left of that deck after camp. I guess I should be glad something came back at all. :lol:
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Bradius wrote:theCapraAegagrus, I am sorry to say you have nothing on my son and what he and his buddies did to a deck of Heretic playing cards when he was 12. One of these days, I am going to photograph what is left of that deck after camp. I guess I should be glad something came back at all. :lol:
Challenge accepted.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

Excellent! PM sent with photos. Good luck.
kem-collector

Unread post by kem-collector »

Bradius wrote:theCapraAegagrus, I am sorry to say you have nothing on my son and what he and his buddies did to a deck of Heretic playing cards when he was 12. One of these days, I am going to photograph what is left of that deck after camp. I guess I should be glad something came back at all. :lol:
furrukhjamal

Re: 2019 'Deck of the Year' Awards: DISCUSSION (wap)

Unread post by furrukhjamal »

Drumroll time again
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I posted a list and pictures of all the decks in my brick that I'm donating. I think a lot of others have done the same thing. PipChick probably has been too busy to update the prize list to reflect the updated prizes (which is understandable given the massive amount of time she's putting into this contest) but I'm sure it'll be done soon. We can always scroll through the thread to see what all the updated TBD's and TBA's are.
Räpylätassu

sinjin7 wrote:

I posted a list and pictures of all the decks in my brick that I'm donating. I think a lot of others have done the same thing. PipChick probably has been too busy to update the prize list to reflect the updated prizes (which is understandable given the massive amount of time she's putting into this contest) but I'm sure it'll be done soon. We can always scroll through the thread to see what all the updated TBD's and TBA's are.
Yeah and seems to me that pretty much all the TBA's and TBD's are now updated, except the ones Amy is donating herself and I no doubt in my mind she'll update them soon. Now we just wait for Dr Grant to draw the winners :ugdance:

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

Räpylätassu wrote:Now we just wait for Dr Grant to draw the winners :ugdance:
Winners are already counted! Here is a list of all winners: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15565#p175640

One page to discuss DOTY results is probably ok. Now we need 10-20 more pages to discuss a giveaway. :lol:
Räpylätassu

montenzi wrote:
Räpylätassu wrote:Now we just wait for Dr Grant to draw the winners :ugdance:
Winners are already counted! Here is a list of all winners: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15565#p175640

One page to discuss DOTY results is probably ok. Now we need 10-20 more pages to discuss a giveaway. :lol:
I meant the giveaway winners :D

As for the actual DOTY results, I was really surprised to see Pinocchio coming in 3rd on the Best Rookie category. Fillide and Culturae Animalis are great decks sure but to me, Pinocchio was the clear cut number one on that category, I didn't have to think for a one second on which deck to vote there. I would go even as far to say that Pinocchio was one of the best decks of the year overall.

I was also quite pleasently surprised to see Fantasy by Dustin Panzino getting the honorable mention in the Best Jokers category. I nominated that deck there (among with bunch of others) but I went with De Novo for the Best Jokers. It was a bit of a shock that De Novo didn't win anything, it had one of the best tuck boxes and IMO the Best Jokers of 2019. Rick Davidsons finest deck (so far).

I was also quite bummed that King's Game didn't win anything. Just an amazing pair of decks. One of the best tuck boxes of the year, also great court cards and Aces.

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Räpylätassu wrote:I was also quite bummed that King's Game didn't win anything. Just an amazing pair of decks. One of the best tuck boxes of the year, also great court cards and Aces.
Agreed, very underrated :D
Räpylätassu wrote:...Pinocchio was the clear cut number one on that category, I didn't have to think for a one second on which deck to vote there. I would go even as far to say that Pinocchio was one of the best decks of the year overall.
Everyone seems to love this deck but I have no interest at all in the theme and honestly would re-sell the deck if I got it for free :oops: :ugthink: [MURRAY]

It's the same with Alice in Wonderland decks - I just can't make myself care :?

I can't be the only one

Can I....?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
markzero
Decks Owned: 58

Unread post by markzero »

montenzi wrote:I knew how to vote in the "Best overall deck" last year (Cartomancer by Alain Benoit). This year I had no idea. I only added five decks to my collection in 2019, and almost all decks are old releases.

Best Deck for Magic: ------ for me it's the Bicycle Rider Back (Red or Blue).
Best Deck for Fanning ------ I have no idea what the fanning is.
Best Back ------- It's one of the most important categories for me. I would have voted for 2019 NPCCD Series, but I don't own this deck, and I don't like 3D effects.
Pretty sure ownership is not a requirement for voting, or even a moral obligation. Especially not in the categories based on appearance. I could see an argument for that in something like fanning, but now that there's only a few finishes and card thicknesses in production, that probably still boils down to what you think will look the neatest in a semi-visible repeated pattern. I voted in every category even though I'm new, but I looked up each deck that was in the running. Some choices were really hard, but I learned a lot and put some on my wishlist.

P.S. The rules mention that prize winners make sure they tell people they're around, either publicly or privately, to retain their eligibility.
I"M HERE. :)

edit: I think this post got stealth moved, in case it looks out of place. :)
relative newbie that loves transformations, vintage, and oddities. stuff on Portfolio52
Timmargh

hsbc wrote:Everyone seems to love this deck but I have no interest at all in the theme and honestly would re-sell the deck if I got it for free :oops: :ugthink: [MURRAY]

It's the same with Alice in Wonderland decks - I just can't make myself care :?

I can't be the only one

Can I....?
No, you can't.

They're good decks, nice artwork etc., but not my thing at all. I backed the Pinocchio deck with the intent to resell but came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the effort and so cancelled.
Harvonsgard

Räpylätassu wrote:I was also quite bummed that King's Game didn't win anything. Just an amazing pair of decks. One of the best tuck boxes of the year, also great court cards and Aces.
Agreed that the illustrations are just insanely good. But at the end of the day, the Doty is just a community vote. Nothing takes away the great art from the King's Game deck. I quite like it if stuff that I love isn't that much appreciated by others. It makes stuff easier to get. But I as well understand that it helps the creator and that success encourages to put out more incredible art.