Super Suits: Playing Cards (KS)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Super Suits: Playing Cards (KS)

Unread post by badpete69 »

Yashi

Re: Super Suits: Playing Cards (KS)

Unread post by Yashi »

Well it's fun, I'll give them that. But you'd think by now they would have learned to state who they're printing with unless this is done in-house (which could explain the 150 LE decks).
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Wow, someone likes superheroes :roll:

I'd rather have a properly done, certified superhero deck, so I'll pass.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Haha, I'm probably in the minority, but I like this deck.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Gotta admit it's rather cool. Although I would've preferred a bigger roster and not just Batman, Flash, Green Lantern and Superman. More Justice League.

Technically for Bats that could be Batgirl and Dick Grayson and for Superman that's Supergirl and Superboy. But I could be stretching it a bit. :lol:
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

I like this deck too, but I can't stop wondering. When is this guy going to stop making one way backs?
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Fes wrote:I like this deck too, but I can't stop wondering. When is this guy going to stop making one way backs?
@Fes - You're right. The back is bad. It's been awhile since I've scene two bad backs at once. Enough said...
RussellSprouts
undefinedknowledge
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

New "Super Suit" Deck from Undefined Knowledge

Unread post by undefinedknowledge »

Hey not sure if you all remember me, but I got in on the discussion a couple months ago surrounding our Stained Glass deck. I was really into the feedback, and we learned a lot about deck design from that project. We heavily weighed a lot of those lessons when designing our new deck and was curious as to what you guys thought.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... ying-cards

Feel free to share any opinions you might have!... :D

Andy
The attachment decks.jpg is no longer available
The attachment deckbacks.jpg is no longer available
The attachment tens.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
decks.jpg
deckbacks.jpg
deckbacks.jpg (158.42 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
tens.jpg
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Andy

I had a thread going already when you went live.... So I merged your post into the existing thread

Thanks
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Andy, I really like this deck, and I intend to back it.

However, I do agree with others here that you could make the backs of the deck much better by making the bottom half of the image the same as the top half, rotated 180 degrees. It'll be muuuuch better if you do that.

Food for thought! Looking forward to seeing how this project develops!
This space intentionally left blank.
undefinedknowledge
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Hey everyone. See I am glad I posted this here... so I guess I am slow learner. I thought I understood the card back issues you guys mentioned on the last project (Stained Glass) but now I truly get it.... Thank you!!! We will definitely be modifying the card backs... to something like this???
deckbacks2.jpg
deckbacks2.jpg (160.37 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Much better. I have pledged! :)
This space intentionally left blank.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

@undefinedknowledge - Your close. It's basically "2-way" or mirror image, but usually people read the the top of the card right side up. If you flip the club and spade over, you have a decent card back and guess what? I can't bitch anymore...
RussellSprouts
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum, Andy! Those backs are a step in the right direction. You know what might make me pledge though? <drumroll> (nobody sees this coming...) Thinner borders :mrgreen:

And I agree with mister sprouts (as usual), having everything on the "top" half be "right side" up generally looks better.
- Tom

Check out my collection

undefinedknowledge
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Ok. I see what you guys are saying. Thank you! I am going to work on some new backs and post what I come up with here...
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

I'm with Tom. Thinner borders and I'm in.
Fes

Unread post by Fes »

undefinedknowledge wrote:Ok. I see what you guys are saying. Thank you! I am going to work on some new backs and post what I come up with here...
Great, I just pledged. :)
We can still be friends.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just found another thing: $13 for shipping 1 deck internationally is WAY too much. Remember that domestic shipping is included.
- Tom

Check out my collection

undefinedknowledge
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Working on the edits to the design now. I will probably post the changes tomorrow. I did just want to clarify a few things....

The borders - The borders are actually thinner than the example image I have shown. That was some negligent photoshop work on my part and I didn't realize the detriment it caused. I will attach a real photo of the borders from a prototype deck we had printed and I will also include accurate card back samples when I complete the other edits.

International Shipping - We ship everything Priority Mail, even overseas. One, so we can track all the orders and two, so we can get the rewards fulfilled ASAP. Because of this every overseas shipment actually costs us $12.97. On previous projects we had INTL shipping set at $12, but we lost so much trying to cover that extra 97 cents for each intl order, so we upped it to $13 this time. It cost us $13 to ship to Germany and the UK as well as Singapore, New Zealand etc.

Anyway, I will post some updated card backs soon and a better example of the borders too. Thanks again for all your feedback... there are so many things to consider in the design process... your feedback and advice is greatly appreciated and hopefully makes the deck stronger!

Andy
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well then, if international shipping costs $13 we shouldn't have to add on that full amount. Like I said, domestic shipping is included in the pledges, however much that is should be subtracted from what we (internationals) have to add.

Giving "free" shipping to people in the US while everyone else have to pay their shipping in full is pretty unfair, isn't it?
- Tom

Check out my collection

Fes

Unread post by Fes »

undefinedknowledge wrote: International Shipping - We ship everything Priority Mail, even overseas. One, so we can track all the orders and two, so we can get the rewards fulfilled ASAP. Because of this every overseas shipment actually costs us $12.97. On previous projects we had INTL shipping set at $12, but we lost so much trying to cover that extra 97 cents for each intl order, so we upped it to $13 this time. It cost us $13 to ship to Germany and the UK as well as Singapore, New Zealand etc.

Andy
MagikFingerz wrote:Well then, if international shipping costs $13 we shouldn't have to add on that full amount. Like I said, domestic shipping is included in the pledges, however much that is should be subtracted from what we (internationals) have to add.

Giving "free" shipping to people in the US while everyone else have to pay their shipping in full is pretty unfair, isn't it?
Going to try to rephrase. :) Wouldn't it make sense then to reduce the international shipping cost by the amount it costs to ship domestic for a true international shipping rate. Priority shipping isn't free for domestic so I would assume that cost is placed on the decks to begin with. So it would be $13 - cost for domestic shipping = true international shipping cost, not $13 + cost for domestic shipping which is what seems to be going on at the moment. If we're wrong, explain it to us please.
We can still be friends.
undefinedknowledge
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Tom, I hear what you are saying. We are going to re-evaluate the shipping fee structure for international backers before our next project. I apologize.
undefinedknowledge
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Ok so what do you guys think of these changes... wanted to get your feedback before posting an update to the backers about these improvements...

I took the red out of the black deck back because when mirrored, it looked off having two red elements so close together, especially since they were the only non-gray-scale elements in the design...
deckbacks3.jpg
deckbacks3.jpg (169.68 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
here is an example of the actual borders on printed version of the deck...
Photo Oct 01, 23 10 59.jpg
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

undefinedknowledge wrote:Tom, I hear what you are saying. We are going to re-evaluate the shipping fee structure for international backers before our next project. I apologize.
Unfortunately that's not good enough for me, so I won't pledge for this. If you're on your 2nd deck on KS (5th KS overall) and are only figuring this out now, that doesn't bode well for future pledges from me either.

Good luck though.
- Tom

Check out my collection

Fes

Unread post by Fes »

undefinedknowledge wrote:Ok so what do you guys think of these changes... wanted to get your feedback before posting an update to the backers about these improvements...

I took the red out of the black deck back because when mirrored, it looked off having two red elements so close together, especially since they were the only non-gray-scale elements in the design...
On the international shipping for this campaign, Boo. On the international shipping for future projects, hopeful.

The two way backs and thinner borders are much more functional. I think they have a cool effect in grey scale over the red previously, but that's entirely subjective.
We can still be friends.
undefinedknowledge
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: International Shipping... All I can say is that there are about a million things one has to think about, consider, evaluate when running a campaign. Just when you think you've covered every base, something else comes up that you didn't even realize was an issue. Honestly, this is our 5th project and this is the first time anyone has suggested that the international shipping was too high. Tom was the first to point this out to us, and we will absolutely address this with all future projects. Each project taught us something new, and we always take what we learn and apply it to the next project. This will be no different.

Fixing this problem now, could be tricky but we are willing, and open to suggestions. Kickstarter doesn't allow you to edit the Reward after a reward has been backed, so all the rewards will always list the International Shipping fee as what we listed it at when the project went live.

I could send an update telling all international backers to decrease their pledge, but this doesn't let future/potential intl backers know that the intl shipping fee is actually less.

I get it though, the domestic shipping is roughly $2, and is included. So the international shipping should actually be $2 less than what it is listed. I will discuss this with my partner and if we can figure a solution to this issue for this project, we will.

All that being said, the feedback here has been very valuable because you guys no way more about cards than I do! I appreciate all the input whether it is design or shipping related! So thank you!
undefinedknowledge
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Fes wrote:The two way backs and thinner borders are much more functional. I think they have a cool effect in grey scale over the red previously, but that's entirely subjective.
Awesome. This will probably be what we go with then. Thank you!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

undefinedknowledge wrote:Fixing this problem now, could be tricky but we are willing, and open to suggestions. Kickstarter doesn't allow you to edit the Reward after a reward has been backed, so all the rewards will always list the International Shipping fee as what we listed it at when the project went live.
Actually, I've had to get around this before. The only thing you can do is open an identical tier with the corrected text/copy (and put in the same inventory control if you need it) and then mark the 'wrong' one
"Sold Out!" immediately. It won't allow people to buy back any that are 'unpledged' at that point (when any reward tier marked "Sold Ou"), so just ask people that are international shipping (they are the only ones that matter, usually) to move to the new (cheaper) S&H tier. Works every time, or maybe one or two people end up paying the original amount in spite of you trying to save them a couple of bucks, but as I noted in general only the overseas backers benefit from moving, US shipping likely won't change (but it could).
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Its really easy, you just create dedicated tiers for internationals to move to, no need to mark the reward as sold out. The US people will stay. And send it out in an update to notify the crowd
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

volantangel wrote:Its really easy, you just create dedicated tiers for internationals to move to, no need to mark the reward as sold out. The US people will stay. And send it out in an update to notify the crowd
True, the minimalist approach. ;) Frankly it doesn't matter once you have converted as many of the non-US shipping people moved, you should be fine. Optimum is to find every single one, sometimes it's just not practical, although you would think since as a project creator you can send that 'wrong' tier a group message.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.