Voltige Playing Cards by D&D

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Voltige Playing Cards by D&D

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Eoghann wrote:... For every Buck twin that comes along there's a Lotrek, Lorenzo, Jackson and many others willing to do right by us.
Well put, Daniel! It's a fact, so I don't need to worry about saying that.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Jack D
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Jack D »

volantangel wrote:Well well.. Look what we have here..

Please be your own judge of things. I guess it's hook, line, sinker.
image.jpg
Hello Volantangel,

First of all, forgive my english. As you can see I'm not fluent.
I deisgned the Voltige with a friend. Taking credit for the classic french design is something that has never crossed my mind, even for a second.
By "from scratch", I meant that everything was drawn by hand and reinterpreted. I never imagined that people would be interpreting my words on a forum, and least of all compare it to dictionary's definition...
When we talked about developing a new deck with the twins, the french design was decided to be the theme of the whole deck. Because we're french, but also because we wanted to bring to those who didn't know it the court cards we loved.
That's why it's so close to the original one.
You may or may not like the Tungstene deck, but it proves you that copying is not our goal.
The box for exemple, is something we imagined for Voltige. The "Private reserve" was only a test to see if it was doable (Dan says it on the last Coffee with D&D if you don't trust me).
We did our best to add as much original details as we could in the rest of the deck. And if you happen to have one in your hands one day, I truly hope you'll like it.

Hope it clarifies a bit the situation.
Sincerely,

Jacques
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Jack D wrote:

image.jpg
Hello Volantangel,

I deisgned the Voltige with a friend. Taking credit for the classic french design is something that has never crossed my mind, even for a second.
By "from scratch", I meant that everything was drawn by hand and reinterpreted. I never imagined that people would be interpreting my words on a forum, and least of all compare it to dictionary's definition...
When we talked about developing a new deck with the twins, the french design was decided to be the theme of the whole deck. Because we're french, but also because we wanted to bring to those who didn't know it the court cards we loved.
That's why it's so close to the original one.
You may or may not like the Tungstene deck, but it proves you that copying is not our goal.
The box for exemple, is something we imagined for Voltige. The "Private reserve" was only a test to see if it was doable (Dan says it on the last Coffee with D&D if you don't trust me).
We did our best to add as much original details as we could in the rest of the deck. And if you happen to have one in your hands one day, I truly hope you'll like it.

Hope it clarifies a bit the situation.
Sincerely,

Jacques
Hi there Jacques,

Im actually a fan of the tungstene deck, but thats a different deck. Like you said, and many of us has said, it can be a deck to really showcase the french courts and none of us would have a problem with it, but sometimes when words like that came out, and to most of us its a completely different meaning from what you meant you really cant blame us for jumping to whatever conclusions we came to.

I hope that you can highlight, instead of mask the fact that these are based upon french courts, and perhaps explain to us what they meant to you. There are alot of young collectors out there that do not know about these courts, and this is a good chance to educate them.

Thank you for coming here to clear up the misunderstanding, and we really hope to see you around more often. Speak to us in french, we have quite a number of french speaking members here as well. :D

Merci !
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jack D wrote:

image.jpg
Hello Volantangel,

I deisgned the Voltige with a friend...
I tossed you into the "Deck Artist" group, my friend Jacques. Enjoy your stay, we're all pretty sane here, but we always say what we think, that's just how we all roll, in general.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Jack D
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Jack D »

I tossed you into the "Deck Artist" group, my friend Jacques. Enjoy your stay, we're all pretty sane here, but we always say what we think, that's just how we all roll, in general.

Thanks Mike ;)

I like your honesty guys. I just thought I would try to clear up the misunderstanding because taking credit for something I didn't do is completely against my principles.
As for the french court cards, we love them because this are the cards we grew up with. Besides, their name is written on each one of them which, added to the design, seem to give them a real personality.
In France, the american design is more related to poker and we thought that this design was missing from D&D's collection.
Voltige is also a tribute to the twins in a few details such as the two right hands manipulating the card on the back.
I keep the other secrets for now :) but for what I can say, (and compared to the Tungstene) I think that we took it to the next level. (quality of the cards, design of the box, stamp, etc).

NB : I still have one or two uncut of the Tungstene, and some decks as well. Don't know if it will find someone's interest but who knows...

http://distilleryimage0.ak.instagram.com/76b15be8ee1c11e1af6f22000a1c867a_7.jpg
Mod edit: Fixed image link
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Welcome Jacques, thank you for providing these details and corrections. Has the availability date for this deck been announced yet?
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Jack D wrote:I deisgned the Voltige with a friend. Taking credit for the classic french design is something that has never crossed my mind, even for a second.

Jacques
Welcome to UC, Jacques. I'm going to be brutally honest with you. Nobody is knocking the quality or the design of your deck, and your tuck box is very attractive. The fact that you made these tributes to the Buck twin$ in some of the details in your deck is personally disappointing to me. And this leads me to why your fine deck will never be a part of my extensive playing card collection: it is your affiliation with Dan and Dave Buck. Your deck will be over-hyped, falsely advertised, and grossly overpriced if it follows the model of many of D$D's previous decks. (I know, I know, D$D can do whatever they want, its a free market, no one is forced to buy this deck, let's just get these painfully obvious and trite points out of the way.)

I appreciate your point that your rendition of the French court cards are hand drawn and reinterpreted, but your "reinterpretation" is almost an exact replica of the original courts from the few teaser pictures I have seen. When you use the term "from scratch", it has a specific meaning and it is disingenuous for you to claim you didn't expect people on a forum to take such a literal interpretation of the phrase, because that is the only interpretation. Your courts are entirely too referential for them to ever be considered truly customized or "from scratch". Unfortunately, you will not get the benefit of the doubt from many people because this is the type of misleading marketing that D$D practices and your fiasco of claiming your courts are drawn from scratch is consistent with their unfortunate marketing methodology. So forgive us for not giving much credibility to your rather weak excuse and defense of your false marketing of the French court cards.

At the end of the day, I will commend you on having the courage to come to our forum and interact with us and defend your work. This is more than what I can say about D$D themselves, who are too busy scheming up even more pretentious and over-priced products or working on acting gigs for failed television pilots. I hope you don't take too much offense to my honesty and I hope you can produce a deck in the future without any association with D$D.
Jack D
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Jack D »

sinjin7 wrote:
Jack D wrote:I deisgned the Voltige with a friend. Taking credit for the classic french design is something that has never crossed my mind, even for a second.

Jacques
Welcome to UC, Jacques. I'm going to be brutally honest with you. Nobody is knocking the quality or the design of your deck, and your tuck box is very attractive. The fact that you made these tributes to the Buck twin$ in some of the details in your deck is personally disappointing to me. And this leads me to why your fine deck will never be a part of my extensive playing card collection: it is your affiliation with Dan and Dave Buck. Your deck will be over-hyped, falsely advertised, and grossly overpriced if it follows the model of many of D$D's previous decks. (I know, I know, D$D can do whatever they want, its a free market, no one is forced to buy this deck, let's just get these painfully obvious and trite points out of the way.)

I appreciate your point that your rendition of the French court cards are hand drawn and reinterpreted, but your "reinterpretation" is almost an exact replica of the original courts from the few teaser pictures I have seen. When you use the term "from scratch", it has a specific meaning and it is disingenuous for you to claim you didn't expect people on a forum to take such a literal interpretation of the phrase, because that is the only interpretation. Your courts are entirely too referential for them to ever be considered truly customized or "from scratch". Unfortunately, you will not get the benefit of the doubt from many people because this is the type of misleading marketing that D$D practices and your fiasco of claiming your courts are drawn from scratch is consistent with their unfortunate marketing methodology. So forgive us for not giving much credibility to your rather weak excuse and defense of your false marketing of the French court cards.

At the end of the day, I will commend you on having the courage to come to our forum and interact with us and defend your work. This is more than what I can say about D$D themselves, who are too busy scheming up even more pretentious and over-priced products or working on acting gigs for failed television pilots. I hope you don't take too much offense to my honesty and I hope you can produce a deck in the future without any association with D$D.

Hi sinjin7,
I'll be honest too. I won't take D&D's defense. They're old enough to do whatever it takes to regain consumer confidence.
As far as I am concerned, I discovered the word "disingenuous" five minutes ago in the dictionary, just as I discovered the meaning of "from scratch" after Volantangel's comment on Instagram. So far I thought that it meant "redone from the beginning", which doesn't mean that it's not based on something that already exists. I hear you thinking "why would you write something if you're not sure what it means". Well, because I never imagined that people would write pages about my Instagram comments. Anyway. I apologize for using words I shouldn't have used.
Et pour être sûr de pas à nouveau te froisser sans le vouloir, je continue en français. A aucun moment le jeu Voltige n'a été présenté comme révolutionnaire, ni ayant la prétention d'avoir révolutionné le design Français. Tu peux l'appeler "réplique" ou autre, la consigne était d'introduire les cartes françaises sur le marché américain. J'ai donc pas de problème de conscience de ce côté là. Je sais pas sur quels critères se base ta sélection, mais presque aucun des jeux vendu sur le site de D&D n'est aussi travaillé que le notre. C'est te dire si je perd mon temps à me justifier. Ce jeu on l'a dessiné comme Tungstene, pour le plaisir. Pas en se masturbant à l'idée qu'un jour il pourrait garnir les étagères de collectionneurs remontés comme toi. C'est juste des cartes mec. Tu devrais regarder un peu la coupe du monde pour te détendre ;)
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Jack D wrote:Well, because I never imagined that people would write pages about my Instagram comments.
Excellent point, while it is a communication channel advertising the deck it's hardly a full press release or advert. Totally plausible explanation as well with translation confusion. Can we move on now?

I haven't been at this long enough to have the D&D hate so I'm still interested, pending announcement of price and details of course.
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Hi Jack D,

Thank you for coming to the forums to clear this misunderstanding. I appreciate that you've taken the time to address these issues. You seems lik a very reasonable person and take criticism well. I believe this will take you far as a designer. I wish you success on this deck and any future projects.
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

Poisonally, the courts are the least of my worries. So many decks just pick up standard faces that a change of pace is nice. Do agree the hype was way off though. What I do like about this deck is other artwork that has only been teased so far. Show us more!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think we are to quick to judge and make too many assumptions. Dan & Dave Buck (and Justin) should be able to make a living selling card decks just like anyone else. That doesn't mean that you have to like them, but I will say that the constant harping and snap judgments have started to go a little overboard lately, and we need to maintain the impartiality that UC is famous for - not saying that you can't be open, honest not express your opinion, but be sure you say exactly that and what you are basing your assumption(s) on. Past performance is often a reasonably good way to look at things, but in no case should anyone assume that just because someone did something wrong or that you didn't like, it's the only possible way it can go in the future. We're way too quick to condemn them before we give them a chance to prove otherwise.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

If I like a deck, I buy it. Don't care who makes it. Do I get sick of the hype surrounding new decks? Hell yeah. But if any of the companies we love to hate put out a good deck I'll buy it.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Apparently 'very soon' means over a month? Despite the drama I'm very interested in seeing more about this one.
The impressive VOLTIGE #playingcards from @bucktwins are set to release very soon. They feature a custom side-loading tuck, perforated seal, back design, custom faces including two different jokers, court cards, ace of spades and even the suits are custom. No detail was left out. They're beautiful.

http://instagram.com/p/q3HZbZABwZ/

sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I seriously can't wait to see what these will be priced at, including shipping. Its been a slow week so far, I need a good laugh....
cosmicsecret
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

Voltige migrating your way this Friday at 9am, PST.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Thanks for the update on this. Even though it's an homage/copy of a vintage deck, I'm totally in on this one. I really love vintage style, but in new versions of them without the wear, smell and possible vintage pricing due to rarity. That is, I'm in on this deck provided it's not stupid expensive...we shall see though, this is D&D and they tend to be all over the place.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

sinjin7 wrote:I seriously can't wait to see what these will be priced at, including shipping. Its been a slow week so far, I need a good laugh....
Yep, totally agree, buddy. They have gone to a new low but I'm not going to point it out, since I have plenty of issues of my own. It goes back to the old saying "if you live in a glass house, don't be throwing stones"...
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

That's a cool picture though. Kai, how would you achieve that effect? :lol:
volantangel

Eoghann wrote:That's a cool picture though. Kai, how would you achieve that effect? :lol:
Haha your resident photographer to the rescue! Ok so the box and the cards appear to both be floating, well it probably is in the air, but not floating. You simply drop both items, coupled with a flash or adequate lighting you should be able to achieve a shutter speed of 1/250-1/500 seconds, which will be more than enough to "freeze" the objects in mid-air.

Top tips to do this:
1. pre-focus your camera if your camera has a manual focus, so there's no focus lag when you take the photos.
2. Do this in a bright area or have adequate lighting, not gonna work in a dark place.
3. Shoot your photo in a wider angle than you want initially, you will never know how the cards will drop, you can crop it down to size later.
4. Put your camera in drive mode, shoot more than one photo each drop.
5. Try many many times.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Sorcery would've worked just as well for me. :lol:
You photographers and your camera voodoo.

Those cards have to be glued at the tip though. To make them look like a bird in flight. The chances of that just happening on it's own are astronomical, no?
volantangel

Eoghann wrote:Sorcery would've worked just as well for me. :lol:
You photographers and your camera voodoo.

Those cards have to be glued at the tip though. To make them look like a bird in flight. The chances of that just happening on it's own are astronomical, no?
Hahah oh for sure, I thought that part didn't need explaining lol, if you don't mind ruining a couple cards anyone can do that :) there was just two elements there, the tuck and and the cards, so just keep dropping those two things and choose the best shot, oh another top tip, get someone to help you, very important.

To the question on everyone's head, this doesn't look like photoshop to me (because the depth of field and lighting looks consistent.)
badpete69

Unread post by badpete69 »

These will be available tomorrow morning at 9am Pacific time, Noon Eastern
cosmicsecret
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

badpete69 wrote:These will be available tomorrow morning at 9am Pacific time, Noon Eastern
We had this info on the previous page already...but here is a Video showing the cards in action
Exclusive sneak peek at our latest deck, Voltige Playing Cards. https://t.co/kuwR8WiMqS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (pass code: 1783)
badpete69

I know cosmic... This was just a reminder. With the amount of decks being pumped out from everywhere, it never hurts to refresh people memories
sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Not digging the clumpy, smooth finish...
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I'm sure I just missed this before, but as seen on Kardify: "Extremely limited". In other words unreasonably expensive. We'll see soon.

EDIT - $15 isn't too bad I suppose. Don't forget to use your coupon codes if you order!
badpete69

Picked up a set. they look very nice. Sinjin you know you are a card whore like me... Stop being an hypocrite and buy a set already hehehehe You know you want too. Come on go that's it click on the buy now
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I went back on forth on getting both or not. I went into it assuming I would want just the blue as I almost always prefer it, but the tuckbox for the blue doesn't pop like the red. Then figured maybe both since it's only about 50% more to get both, but then I looked again at the blue and all the other decks I've recently bought and will be buying. Couldn't do it, my wall space and wallet said no. So I just got a red (plus a few others from them I had been holding out on to justify the shipping).
volantangel

A few questions though, collectors set = both decks ?? Is that right?

Not an absolutely horrible price (if collectors set = both decks at about 11 + shipping) considering the unique box, however the cards are smooth finish and i have a feeling its neither uspcc nor epcc, if the flourisher in the video cant fan the deck properly, i think we have no hope of fanning these decks. Lets hope to get a word on who the printer is.