The Forbidden City 1901 Los Angeles Antique - Valuation?

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

vexlit
Lurker
Lurker

The Forbidden City 1901 Los Angeles Antique - Valuation?

Unread post by vexlit »

Hi there,
Recently I found these 1901 playing cards (photos attached) with the writing "the forbidden city pekin & chinese views souvenir playing cards copyright 1901 by grimes-stassforth stationary co, los angeles, cal".
As it is there are all 52 cards but no joker, leaflets or information cards.

After researching I found these two links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOS-ANGELES-SOU ... 7675.l2557 (sold for $588.88 but with joker and information card)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1810705296 (unhelpful in terms of valuation but interesting for information)

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me advice on firstly the valuation of this deck but also where I might be able to sell it (or should I keep it and wait until the value increases?)
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Attachments
IMG_20171014_095620978.jpg
IMG_20171014_095405862.jpg
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: The Forbidden City 1901 Los Angeles Antique - Valuation?

Unread post by ecNate »

I can tell you the $500+ price for a COMPLETE deck in excellent condition matches the price guide I have. However, a deck in poorer condition and especially one missing a main card (including joker) will reduce that price by more than half. Thus if you can manage to find a matching joker to complete the deck it may very well be worth it. Of course a deck only has that value if you can find a buyer. My guess is what you have is probably in the $50-$100 range depending on the buyer, primarily because of the torn/taped tuck and missing joker (missing information card lesser impact). You may be able to sell for up to $200 as is, but again finding the buyer is the tricky part especially for this condition with missing cards.