[Jock1971] My Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

Jock1971
Collector: Yes

Re: [Jock1971] My Collection

Unread post by Jock1971 »

A Waddingtons Cribbage boxset to begin today. Just bought the "Rummy" Box so have only one box left from this series to find.
100_1824.JPG
A couple of modern decks next.
100_1769.JPG
A set from makers Piatnik next dated 2010. This set was made to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Park Hotel Laurin. The courts show pictures from the frescoes that are in the Hotels Bar, which tells the legend of Laurin,King of the Dwarves,who once upon a time lived in the Dolomite massif Catinaccio/Rosengarten.
100_1823.JPG
And last picture today is a "Society" Branded De La Rue Deck.
100_1599.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Jock1971

A very Fun and Colourful set from Wild & Wolf to start today.
526.JPG
A pair of Steamboats, these are the Dan & Dave ones.
527.JPG
I have not posted a Alf cooke deck in a while so here`s a "pin-up" pack.
528.JPG
And last a sealed Waddington`s Convex deck.
529.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D i`m off out to see some fireworks :) -Jase-
dazzleguts
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

That Piatnik double for Hotel Laurin has artwork that looks very much like the art in the Pack of Thieves deck that Port Arthur put out. Wonder if it's the same artist, do you have a name for the artist Jase?
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:That Piatnik double for Hotel Laurin has artwork that looks very much like the art in the Pack of Thieves deck that Port Arthur put out. Wonder if it's the same artist, do you have a name for the artist Jase?
Hiya Dazzelguts.
The Laurin Hotel is situated in Bolzano, south Tyrol, Italy ,and the bar murals were painted by Bruno Goldschmitt in 1911. the murals were damaged in world war 2 and later painted over in white, they were restored to their full glory in 1990.I hope that helps :)

I took advantage of the offer from JP`S in the resellers thread and got the Luxx set half-price, which included both packs of cards in a presentation box, the Dealer coin and porper clip, also an extra mystery deck thrown in for us UC members as promised. 8-)
All in all a great deal from Paul and as always very fast delivery and excellent packaging.i just love these cards.
100_1859.JPG
Next up is a double deck from Hallmark from Kansas City, U.S.A. Hallmark is most famous for printing Greeting cards etc,The WWPCM has hallmark printing playing cards in the 1960-70`s .
100_1857.JPG
Next up a few packs from The "Big Five"series printed by Protea playing cards from Johannesburg in South Africa.The backs have reproductions of five of Mark Enslins wildlife paintings.The leather wallet is a double pack and has the Lion & Rhino backs so am on the look out for the Elephant and Leopard decks to finish the series.
100_1861.JPG
And last picture today is a Limited Edition John Players Special deck printed by Carta Mundi in 1987. the courts are illustrated by Nick Price. I have also seen a Gold version of these cards.
100_1864.JPG
Gosh!!... no Waddingtons today :lol: i`ll need to make up for that in my next post :twisted:
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

That luxx set looks incredible ! It really has one of the best tuckboxes out there. The wild & wolf set looks very fun indeed =D
dazzleguts

Jock1971 wrote:
dazzleguts wrote:That Piatnik double for Hotel Laurin has artwork that looks very much like the art in the Pack of Thieves deck that Port Arthur put out. Wonder if it's the same artist, do you have a name for the artist Jase?
Hiya Dazzelguts.
The Laurin Hotel is situated in Bolzano, south Tyrol, Italy ,and the bar murals were painted by Bruno Goldschmitt in 1911. the murals were damaged in world war 2 and later painted over in white, they were restored to their full glory in 1990.I hope that helps :)
Thanks Jase :)

Some artists do get around, but not through time travel. Might have been interesting if it was the Tasmanian-born artist Simon Barnard. Perhaps he saw the murals and was influenced.
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

volantangel wrote:That luxx set looks incredible ! It really has one of the best tuckboxes out there. The wild & wolf set looks very fun indeed =D
Hiya Volantangel, :D Thanks for checking out my cards, i agree the Luxx set is really nice. i don`t usually go for these "special" sets ,but sometimes i just gotta :drool:
Hiya Dazzelguts :D i will take scans of this deck over the weekend for you and post them in the "worldwide" thread, i have a few others i want to scan for the worldwide as well.

Here`s a couple of Waddingtons catalogues and the Story of Waddingtons book. the catalogues only have 4 or 5 pages of cards out of 30 in each one but nice additions to my collections,and the book i`ve been after for a while but waited for a decent price.
534.JPG
A Blue & Red set of Waddingtons Federation 575 decks.
535.JPG
The rummy boxset i`ve recently bought ,along side the rest of the series. Only the Bridge set to find for the complete set. 8-)
536.JPG
And a Waddingtons Blue & Red set specially made for the Maro supply company.
537.JPG
Jock1971

A Fournier deck titled "America" to start of this post. the deck was produced in 1960 and the courts depict arts of pre-columbian america.
538.JPG
A more modern Canasta set from fournier next.
539.JPG
Some more Advertising deck from the Cigarette Joblot i got last month. These are advertising Wills Castella Cigars, the 3 packs on the left are Carta mundi sets and the 3 on the right are Waddingtons.
540.JPG
And last picture today is a De La Rue patience set,The anonymous Ace was used by De la Rue in packs that was printed by the Empire Card Co who were a subsidary of De La Rue.
541.JPG
Jock1971

Got these wierd and wonderful decks in today from the Czech Republic. Highland Fauna with artwork by Tomski & Polanski. 8-)
542.JPG
A couple of modern Bicycle decks.
543.JPG
A Sealed double deck from The Worshipful Company of Makers of Playing Cards. The WCMPC was established in 1628 and have been producing 1 deck every year since 1882. the first decks were printed by Goodalls ,then from the early 1920`s De la Rue and from 1969 to 1996 Waddingtons have been printing these decks, Not quite sure who is printing the decks from 1997 onwards.This deck is from 1980 and is limited to 750 decks and was produced to celebrate Queen Elizabeth ,the Queen Mothers, 80th Birthday.
544.JPG
More about the history of the WCMPC can be found at a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks01/d01655/history.htm
And last picture today is the Blue Umbra Tape deck. Repeating courts. but a cool deck non the less for us of a certain age.
545.JPG
Jock1971

I adore the backs to these cards. this set is called Folklore and produced by Piatnik, Set Number 2169.
546.JPG
A few more Modern decks next.
547.JPG
A double pack of Cir-q-lar cards by Waddingtons next. this pack was designed for the Orient line mail steamers.
A special Ace and the cards are Gold edged .
548.JPG
And last a 5 page booklet of a complete set of Walt disney cards including 2 identical jokers. the last three pages are folded to show the backs.
549.JPG
dazzleguts

Great Cir-q-lar set Jase! What would be the approx. year on those?

Is the Disney "uncut" a regular sized? I have a similar set, made by Carta Mundi, that advertises Amstel beer. The cards are square cornered and only measure 1.5 cm across. They come with a pop out box as well.

Not as cool as your's with it's custom courts. I know a Disnoid who would love those.
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:Great Cir-q-lar set Jase! What would be the approx. year on those?

Is the Disney "uncut" a regular sized? I have a similar set, made by Carta Mundi, that advertises Amstel beer. The cards are square cornered and only measure 1.5 cm across. They come with a pop out box as well.

Not as cool as your's with it's custom courts. I know a Disnoid who would love those.
Hiya Dazzelguts :D
The disney uncut cards are 33mm x 44mm . Over double your set in size ...wow yours must be tiny 8-) . There is no box unfortunately :( and the corners are round on my set.I won the set on e-bay and in the description it states the booklet was a free gift inside a magazine, he didn`t mention which magazine or mention any dates for the cards unfortunately .
Glad you like the cir-q-lar set, i bought the patience set a while back and when i saw this set :drool:
I bought the set from the same seller I got the Disney uncut from 8-) i got a few nice decks from him.

This set dates from the Earlier Cir-q-lar Printings. Waddingtons began printing the round cards in 1929 this Edition lasted until 1940. The outbreak of the War meant that only the standard decks were produced and any novelty,Advertising and expensive ranges were stopped due to shortages of Card stock.
The first Editions had the Early Sitting Down Joker and the "Lace" Style Ace of Spades has the "All British Make" Legend around the top.This edition usually had "Cir-Q-Lar" printed on the box .

The Second Editions Began in the Early 1950`s and ran until the late 1990`s.In 1969 the lace style ace was changed to the De La Rue style ace. This edition had the more common standing Joker and the "All British Make" was removed from the Ace of Spades. We also See the introduction of the "Rondo" style box. Here`s a pair of Second Editions decks as an example.
100_1897.JPG
Might as well go for an all Waddingtons post so here`s a few Modern decks produced by Winning Moves. Various dates from 2006 to 2013.( in my defence... they were very cheap :oops: )
100_1887.JPG
A Canasta set dated from 1971 -1974.
100_1898.JPG
And last today a nice double set Advertising W H Smiths who were Electrical Engineers from Manchester. The Cellophane and Gold seal replaced the Paper Tax Wrapper in 1960 when the tax on cards was abolished and this Ace variation was replaced in 1971 by the De La Rue styled Ace.
100_1834.JPG
Interestingly When the Tax Wrapper was abolished in 1960, Waddingtons choose to continue to wrap their cards and place seals on the cellophane and put paper seals over the tops of packs as a sign of Quality .De La Rue ,being the only other manufacturer of playing cards in Britain at that time, Choose not to wrap their cards or place any seals anywhere on the tuck.As a result of this ,Even though at the time De La Rues cards were far better in quality, Waddingtons Sales began to rise drastically whereas De La Rue Sales fell. This was the beginning of the end of De La Rue in Playing Card Manufacturing, By 1969 De La Rue sold their side of the playing card company to Waddingtons.
Anyway enough Waffling :roll: thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

I have that exact same Rondo deck in black, same Ace/Joker. I was told it was a 1960 edition, but was a bit unclear. Mine has a tax seal on the side of the top of the box (all removed from bottom), which I think would mean it's possible the year was actually 1960 for mine then? Otherwise that style Rondo with that back would be 1950-1969 with that style Ace and Joker?

EDIT - I'm using this information for the related PCDB entries and have this as a working summary:
Waddingtons began printing round cards in 1929 until they were put on hold in 1940 due to the war. This is the second edition which started in the early 1950`s and ran until the late 1990`s. They can be identified by use of a standing Joker (1st edition had sitting Jokers) and lack of "All British Make" reference. The box also utilizes the name of 'Rondo' instead of 'Cir-a-lar'. The 2nd edition switched from the lace style Ace of Spades to the De La Rue style in 1969.
https://playingcarddb.com/dbdeck?id=1830
https://playingcarddb.com/dbdeck?id=1831
Jock1971

Hiya ecNate.
Thanks for the comment. I saw your deck when you posted in the "Look what i added" thread and after reading your comments that you posted associated with the cards, i decided not to say anything because basically everything you said was correct.
I`m not to sure about American Tax Stamps, i believe they were abolished around 1960. So having that on the box would indicate that the pack dates from the early 1950`s to 1960.
I am by no means to be considered an Expert, but i think all the Information you have posted in the PCDB about your cards is, to the best of my knowledge, correct.There is an Article in the "Worldwide" thread which gives a bit more information about the history of Waddingtons and how to roughly date decks if your interested.
i hope this helps in any way :D
-jase-
dazzleguts

Great that you found both of the Rondo clock back colours ecNate. Was that in one lot or did you have to buy them separately? That Waddington's article in the WWTM articles thread is excellent, and was authored by Jase. Well worth checking out.

Thank you Jase for the info on the Round Waddingtons.
Jock1971 wrote: ...
Might as well go for an all Waddingtons post so here`s a few Modern decks produced by Winning Moves. Various dates from 2006 to 2013.( in my defence... they were very cheap :oops: )
Have to admit I have one of those Hello Kittys. Picked it up at a thrift store since I was curious what a novelty deck by Waddingtons would look like. The cool thing about it is the way the hang tag for the box is a separate piece that slides down into the box if you're not using it, or can be discarded all together. Those tags are usually a problem for storage, and removing them often damages the tuck.
Jock1971 wrote:Interestingly When the Tax Wrapper was abolished in 1960, Waddingtons choose to continue to wrap their cards and place seals on the cellophane and put paper seals over the tops of packs as a sign of Quality .De La Rue ,being the only other manufacturer of playing cards in Britain at that time, Choose not to wrap their cards or place any seals anywhere on the tuck.As a result of this ,Even though at the time De La Rues cards were far better in quality, Waddingtons Sales began to rise drastically whereas De La Rue Sales fell. This was the beginning of the end of De La Rue in Playing Card Manufacturing, By 1969 De La Rue sold their side of the playing card company to Waddingtons.
Anyway enough Waffling :roll: thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Thanks again here Jase. Great bit of info to have for the dbl deck of 1960 Excels I picked up a while back. I saw the fancy seals, with their whole paragraph of text talking about Waddngtons quality, and thought the decks were going to be really fine. Looking at the open deck though they seem a little sloppy in the printing. I rather like off-register printing so I still like the decks, but it didn't seem to jibe with all the build-up on the seal. It's kind of sad that bit of shownmanship did La Rue in.
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

Hiya Dazzelguts. :D
Thanks for the comments, i always like talking Waddingtons :)
Glad you liked the little story about the Quality of waddingtons, Quite a simple tactic, but one that worked.
Quality is not what i associate with Waddingtons :lol: As for Off-register printing, i`ve a few packs that are unbelieveable...Anyway glad i could be of help concerning the round cards.

I have to thank Eoghann for this deck.
I got it in the post this morning ,very well packaged using the "Ice-Cream Sandwich" method.
554.JPG
I just realised i don`t know the Designers name,will need a second look in the thread.
Next is a Fournier deck titled Ancient Civilizations,this set was produced in 1975.
555.JPG
Scans of the courts can be seen in the Spanish section of the "Worldwide" thread.
Next is a double Russian patience set, dated 1989.
556.JPG
Last today a double Patience set from Waddingtons, The unopened pack has a blue back, The Waddingtons name has been Stamped on the side of the wrapper.
557.JPG
Pixel Initiative
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: [jock1971] My Collection

Unread post by Pixel Initiative »

[quote="Jock1971"]Its easy on the wallet when two hobby combine. I`m a big doctor who fan so had these decks before i started collecting other decks as well.
100_0317.JPG
WOW WOW, these are soooo cool. Dr Who through the ages as well.... Thats a great set to look after
Stacey Jay Kelly

Kickstarter Fishing For COmpliments Playing Card Deck. New Launch, limited print run.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... ying-cards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My site:
http://www.pixelinitiative.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jock1971

Pixel Initiative wrote: WOW WOW, these are soooo cool. Dr Who through the ages as well.... Thats a great set to look after
Hiya Stacey, :D Thanks for taking the time to look at my cards, hope you didn`t get bored half way through :lol:
The Doctor Who decks usually pop up on e-bay from time to time and usually they are cheap as chips.
I`m in for a pair of your decks 8-) ,Hope to add them to my collection early next year, fingers crossed.

A bezique set from Waddingtons to kick off today.
100_1901.JPG
A pair of Karnival decks to add to my collection.
100_1943.JPG
A couple of German Skat decks next ,the top one is manufactured by Ampelmann and the Skat express deck is produced by Ass.
100_1763.JPG
And last today a Sealed De La Rue deck,advertising Turf cigarettes.
100_1891.JPG
Jock1971

Got my Aquila Kickstarter in yesterday. what a phenomenal set of cards. :drool:
562.JPG
A double deck from Piatnik of Austria next showing the Vienna Pattern.
563.JPG
An Art deck from Naipes Comas of Spain next. Titled "Artistas Calagurritanes"and is dated 1990.
564.JPG
And this deck showing the Sicily pattern was produced by Dal Negro of Italy.
565.JPG
Jock1971

First off a couple more modern Waddingtons ,produced by Winning moves.
566.JPG
A deck titled "Java`s Classical Wayang" next. this deck was produced in 2000 by Toelen of Jakarta,Indonesia.
567.JPG
A deck from french makers Ducale next showing the French-Catalan pattern.
568.JPG
And last pack today is from an unknown maker. Obviously French pattern and the backs are advertising French polishers (Maybe the deck was printed by the polishers and given away free to customers ?).The "Cards" are made of paper, they are patience sized and there is no tuck just a paper wrap-around.
569.JPG
Jock1971

All three Can-Eh-Diana decks from Cardlauncher arrived recently.
570.JPG
These were designed by Philip DaCosta.
571.JPG
An advertising deck from waddingtons.
572.JPG
Dishonoured Tarot deck, This was part of a special edition X-box 360 game i believe.
573.JPG
Jock1971

I got the Fine Line Kickstarter in a few days ago.
574.JPG
A double deck from the Worshipful Company of Makers of Playing Cards these were produced in 1990. This set isn`t a part of their Annual deck series given out to members, As it has no special Ace nor gilt edges, Probably made for General sales & Bridge tournaments etc.
575.JPG
Eleventh Pier Next from Damon Smith Design, When i ordered these Damon had sold out of his original stock so had to wait for a couple of weeks for another print run.Worth it i think, a very cool "Matchbox" tuck.
576.JPG
A piatnik single deck using the "Wilhelm Tell" or "Seasons" Pattern.
577.JPG
Jock1971

A Kickstarter to start "American Frontier" by Will pitney.Fantastic cards 8-)
578.JPG
A double from Piatnik, This set titled "Lady" is number 2119 has some very thin cards.
579.JPG
A double Advertising deck from Waddingtons next.
580.JPG
And last picture today is a Bezique set made by the USPCC and imported into Britain by L.G Sloan.
581.JPG
Jock1971

This last week a couple of kickstarters have came in,the Gold Edition Leaf Backs from Gamblers Warehouse first.
100_2009.JPG
An A G Mueller of Switzerland deck next. This is a reprint of an 1880`s pack titled Album Suisse made by C L Wuest of Germany.
100_2018.JPG
A modern Pinochle set next.
100_1785.JPG
And a Silver Cowboy themed pack made by Waddingtons shown with the Gold version i have shown before.
100_1876.JPG
Jock1971

The other kickstarter in was the Hundred year war deck.
100_2028.JPG
A pack from Coeur of Germany next titled Carl Zeiss. There are 2 versions of this deck,the first dated 1988 only has 32 cards in the deck .Ace,King, Ober & Under Cards with Number cards 7 through to 10. This Second version dated 1989 has a full deck of 52 cards with the King, Queen & Jack Court cards and Ace to 10 Number cards.
Both versions can be seen at a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks06/d04642/d04642.htm.
100_2006.JPG
A couple of Modern decks next.
100_1912.JPG
And last picture today is another Silver deck by Waddingtons.
100_1946.JPG
Jock1971

The Plugged Nickel Kickstarter came yesterday, here`s the Wanted poster & Rusted tin decks designed by Matt Drake with a free sticker.
100_2030.JPG
I missed out on all Black Friday deals :cry: Instead i got a good deal on a shed load of Worshipful company of Makers of playing Cards decks from a seller on e-bay :D Here`s a double pack printed by De La Rue from 1950 showing the King presenting the 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards with their new Colours.
100_2041.JPG
A bezique set from De La Rue next, pre 1950`s as there is only one joker and an cut anonymous Ace used as an extra card (Two joker becoming the norm when Canasta became popular in 1953)
100_2034.JPG
A single deck from WCMPC next again printed by De La Rue and is from 1953 showing the Royal River Pageant.
The Padded boxes were used from 1880 up to 1958 after which Clear Plastic boxes with Gold card Outer boxes was used.
100_2040.JPG
Jock1971

The Super Suits kickstarter from Undefined Knowledge came in today, With a Mini deck and 5 badges free.
100_2032.JPG
Another WCMPC deck printed by De La Rue, this one`s showing the mexico Olympiad from 1968. Each year there is a New Master and Wardens as shown on the Aces except during both world wars ,Some become master a few times but never consecutively.
100_2048.JPG
A single deck from makers Bielefelder Spielkarten GMBH of west Germany who were producing cards from 1948 to 1972, The Manufacturer Ass continued producing the Joker Brand up until 1996.
100_2037.JPG
And last picture today is another WCMPC deck. This one`s printed by Waddingtons from 1982 and is celebrating the Birth of Prince William.
100_2047.JPG
dazzleguts

Hey Jase :)
The look of that joker riding a cat somehow always makes me think Nintendo rather than ASS. There's an image of that joker on a cigar band I have, as part of a set of 32 joker themed cigar bands that were made for Ernst Casamir.

About that Piatnik Lady set. I have a single deck of those, which didn't have a box, so thank you for supplying the name. I also have a similar set, made by the Northbrook Plastic Card Co. of Northbrook Illinois. It's called "Lady Northbrook" and the cards are only 2" wide, like the Piatniks, while also being 1/8 " longer than usual (5.1 x 9.2 cm). The idea must have been to have the cards fit a dantier hand.

I just took another look through your latest additions Jase. Wonderful variety and a hell of a lot of decks. :shock: I seem to remember you were keeping them in boxes - how do you organize them and know where to look for a particular deck?
Worldwide Time Machine

Jock1971

dazzleguts wrote:Hey Jase :)
I just took another look through your latest additions Jase. Wonderful variety and a hell of a lot of decks. :shock: I seem to remember you were keeping them in boxes - how do you organize them and know where to look for a particular deck?
Hiya Dazzelguts ,My McEwans Drinking Buddy :D (Export :drool: )
Well i just photograph the cards when i get them and put them on a memory stick in folders marked BOX 1, BOX 2 etc, i them write the decks i get in a notebook in Box order (If that makes sense :oops: )
i don`t post pictures in order i get them,I have a reserve of about 30 photo`s so when i get a kickstarter or a pack that i`m very excited about in ,i post that with some pictures from the reserve.
Here`s a Waddingtons Bridge Boxset, this completes the series :D
598.JPG
Next picture is a De La Rue Triple Bezique set. These unturned courts dates the set around 1865-1875.
599.JPG
Next a Worshipful double, this is the earliest one i have so far and is dated 1924 (i`ve 2 more packs in reserve).
600.JPG
And this little Beauty i got in today. :drool: Very cool...These were produced around 1953-1955 but wasn`t very popular so production stopped soon after.(Normal joker shown for size comparison)
601.JPG
dazzleguts

Jock1971 wrote: Hiya Dazzelguts ,My McEwans Drinking Buddy :D (Export :drool: )
Well i just photograph the cards when i get them and put them on a memory stick in folders marked BOX 1, BOX 2 etc, i them write the decks i get in a notebook in Box order (If that makes sense :oops: )
i don`t post pictures in order i get them,I have a reserve of about 30 photo`s so when i get a kickstarter or a pack that i`m very excited about in ,i post that with some pictures from the reserve.
Hehe, so you saw that eh? The only beer I've ever had as an ice cream float - and it was damn good. I do usually just drink it straight though. :drool: That Zulu deck gets a :drool: too. Although if I had to choose between a McEwans and the Zulu, the McEwans might win :ugdance: .

Smart system, using a physical division with a memory stick to each box. I have way too much paperwork the way I've been doing it. :geek: Since I've been photographing decks for posting I may start using something like your system myself.
Worldwide Time Machine